PDA

View Full Version : this is so frustrating.

MenteL
12-16-2004, 01:01 AM
I've seriously got to find good solid business in the city.

All the clients I get are based in the usa or in foreign countries, which makes communicating a bit difficult seeing as I only have instant messaging to converse with them. I design logos and small graphics for these people. Well, I'm in such a bind for money this christmas I've been trying to get as much work as I can without collecting a deposit before I start.

What am I left with?

"No sorry, that just won't work. I don't like how it looks. I'm going with someone else to design it."

This is after they did not TELL me what they were looking for, how they wanted it done, and after I just spent 3+ hours a day, every day for the past week and a half.

Got to hand it to myself though, these logos do look pretty sweet.

el_fefes
12-16-2004, 01:34 AM
post them up

MenteL
12-16-2004, 01:43 AM
One.

MenteL
12-16-2004, 01:43 AM

MenteL
12-16-2004, 01:44 AM

el_fefes
12-16-2004, 09:10 PM
i like the 2nd one

Kamen
12-16-2004, 09:13 PM
:werd:

ex1z7
12-16-2004, 10:00 PM
I got screwed by an overseas client on business cards too...
Spent an hour designing 3 diff styles of card, full colour and all that noise..

Didn't like the colour, too dark, so I lightened them.

Didn't like the purple that he picked out, wanted something else.

Didn't like the negative blue and white, so I made it black and blue with white specs, like stars.

Didn't like the layout that he has previously liked on the past 13 trials.

Changed the layout. Said he'd get back to me after he got it priced out at a printer.

His dad decided to make a triangle logo and print the cards for him.

Fuck.

MenteL
12-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7
I got screwed by an overseas client on business cards too...
Spent an hour designing 3 diff styles of card, full colour and all that noise..

Didn't like the colour, too dark, so I lightened them.

Didn't like the purple that he picked out, wanted something else.

Didn't like the negative blue and white, so I made it black and blue with white specs, like stars.

Didn't like the layout that he has previously liked on the past 13 trials.

Changed the layout. Said he'd get back to me after he got it priced out at a printer.

His dad decided to make a triangle logo and print the cards for him.

Fuck. Which is why you don't work without at least 50% of the money upfront. :( I try to do that, but sometimes it deters business. I guess it's the only way to go.

ex1z7
12-16-2004, 11:20 PM
People suck, the client was a good friend of mine as well - so I trusted him. If I charged by the hour he'd get screwed because he made me change the entire card so many times...

The problem I have with charging upfront, even a percentage, is if the client doesn't like the kind've work I do, or pulls out of the deal or anything - then I don't want to be a jerk and keep the money...I need a policy :D

MenteL
12-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7
People suck, the client was a good friend of mine as well - so I trusted him. If I charged by the hour he'd get screwed because he made me change the entire card so many times...

The problem I have with charging upfront, even a percentage, is if the client doesn't like the kind've work I do, or pulls out of the deal or anything - then I don't want to be a jerk and keep the money...I need a policy :D Same here.

Doing this kind of work is tricky because you get all kinds of strange clients. Some you can trust, some you cant. I guess it's all a learning experience. But I've been good the past two days. I told 6 people I need 50% up front and they all decided not to use my services. Even though I've got an extensive plethora of logos I have created in the past. Oh well, they're loss.

Team_Mclaren
12-16-2004, 11:41 PM
well sorry to break it into you, but thats what the business world is like... and of course, dumbass customers.. (even tho they are always right...:nut: )

MenteL
12-17-2004, 12:31 AM
You get it everywhere you go, unfortunatly.

ex1z7
12-17-2004, 11:18 AM
You get those people who you create the logo for ( or in my case, a business card occasionally ) from another country and they decide not to use it and not to pay you - and then use it anyways :| Not much way of findin' out if they've used it or not.

Customer is always right..Heh..I can just imagine someone walking into Hotwheels saying "this Integra sedan looking car is really a BMW Z4, I know these things.."

Customers :( Why can't the government just give me money..

ZorroAMG
12-17-2004, 11:33 AM
That type of shit happens all the time in all types of business. Happens weekly for us mortgage brokers and real estate developers

Sorry for the bad luck, but for every bad/difficult/stupid client, there is a slam-dunker around the corner...

Press on...

MenteL
12-17-2004, 11:43 AM
im waiting for the 'slam dunker' heh. anybody looking to hire a graphic designer?