PDA

View Full Version : Another example of American "freedom"...

Toma
12-16-2004, 07:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4102367.stm

kevie88
12-16-2004, 07:51 PM
haha, this reminds me of the (much vaunted) saying in the US:

"Freedom isn't free"

No shit... That doesn't mean you're freedom cost a lot, it means your "freedom" isn't really that at all..

Carfanman
12-17-2004, 12:12 AM
WTF thats retarted! I say go iceland!

GingeRRRBeef
12-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Not really trying to be all Matrix and shit ... but if you think about it, choice ("freedom") is really an illusion ... just as long as it's not an inconvenience to the rich and powerful, you can be "free" to choose whatever you want.

DayGlow
12-17-2004, 12:36 AM
he did break a law and is wanted for it. I doubt any court would throw him in jail over it. People here are arrested for warrents from LRT tickets all the time. You can't choose which laws you wish to follow and not expect to face the repercussions for it.

Not really trying to be all Matrix and shit ... but if you think about it, choice ("freedom") is really an illusion ... just as long as it's not an inconvenience to the rich and powerful, you can be "free" to choose whatever you want.

Not really. The fact that here and in the States that people can debate this and express their thoughts without fear of repercussion is a huge example of freedom. It's great that we can demonstrate, protest and debate things such as this. That is freedom and in a lot of places people can't do it.

hjr
12-17-2004, 12:58 PM
only regular people can express their view without reprocussions, anyone with any clout at all faces slander suits or political harassment if they dont go status quo.

kind of a generalizing statement though.

Tyler883
12-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Freedom:

Around the time of the american war of independance, there was a group of loyalists that didn't like the american's veiw on individual rights and free enterprise,

instead they preferred the british's way of BIG GOVERNMENT, and BIG TAXES.

Many of these loyalists moved to canada....

....their children are now LIBERALS IN ONTARIO!!!! LOL

koopkoop2
12-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Here's a great read about this very subject:

Freedom and Democracy:Illusion by Stealth
http://207.44.245.159/article7141.htm