PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle In Parking Lane

tulit
12-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Quick question on whos fault this would be.

Last night on 6th St I was parallel parking my car on the side of the road at a meter. I finished parking the car/shut if off/etc. At this point there were cars lined up in the actual driving lane stopped because there was a red light.

Some chick on a bike decided shed cut through inbetween the cars waiting for the light to change green and the cars parked on the road.

To get to the point, I didn't see her, started opening the door, she hit my side view mirror, cracked it and well, she started freaking out at me. I want her to pay for the new mirror. If I persue this, is this my fault or hers that she hit my car?

djayz
12-16-2004, 07:38 PM
it usually is the drivers fault for not looking when opening his door
but i guess if you put a claim in and tell them that she just cut through parked cars going quite fast while the light was red you may be in luck in getting it fixed

t-im
12-16-2004, 07:40 PM
hopefully you have witnesses who can vouch about the redlight and stuff

skidmark
12-17-2004, 12:30 AM
You may both be at fault, her for passing on the right and you for opening your door when it was unsafe to do so.

Both are offences under BC's Motor Vehicle Act, and I would assume that the Highway Traffic Act in Alberta is much the same.