PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Charities

kenny
12-17-2004, 01:47 AM
I am looking for some feedback from all the members of beyond.ca regarding some Calgary based charity organizations and/or major ongoing fund raising efforts. I am trying to choose a recipient for a major donation.

Basically, name a charity or fund raiser (that is always around, not a one time thing) and say why in as many words as you would like they should receive a major donation.

The reason I ask is because I only hear of the major big time ones like United Way and not the smaller ones.

kenny
12-18-2004, 02:41 AM
Damn... no one? :) haha

GingeRRRBeef
12-18-2004, 02:55 AM
I don't really know too much details about charities but here a list I found on google

http://aboutcalgary.net/charity/

Melinda
12-18-2004, 04:00 AM
I personally support four charities, although they are all big ones: The Canadian Cancer Foundation, The Canadian Diabetes Foundation, The Calgary Interfaith Foodbank and the big one for me is the Children's Hospital

I'm a big supporter of all of these because I've seen first hand on more than one occasion how they all effect the people dealing with Cancer, Diabetes and Poverty. And well no one wants to see a kid sick and hurting knowing that you can help to take some of that pain away.

They are SO close to making some AMAZING breakthrough treatments and cures for both Cancer and Diabetes that they can use ALL the help that they can get to reach those goals. We all know how bad cancer can be, but few people know how brutal diabetes is...it causes blindness, heart problems, strokes, organ failure, targeting mainly kidneys and sometimes the liver. And who the heck wants to live their life sticking themselves with needles 5 times a day?!

And I've always loved the Children's Hospital. I was admitted there twice for surgery, once I actually pulled a code blue and was sooo scared. They were absolutely incredible and I know from meeting some of my room mates and people walking around the hospital how sick the little kids can be. And how much the money helps get the very best equipment to make these kids better, give them an awesome chance at having a normal life and really just making things the best that they can have, given their conditions.

They're building a new Children's Hospital right now near the university. I covered the huge unveiling of the new plans for the hospital and it is going to be an absolutely INCREDIBLE place. They have had the kids design the hospital how they want it to be. And they have brought in all sorts of designers and psychologists on what can make this hospital better. Aside from adding a crap load more beds and what not, there will also be places in each room for parents to stay with the kids and all the coloring and design in the rooms are to help the kids stay calm and try to make things as nice as possible for them.

I have the hospital take 15$ out of my bank account every month. It's not alot but it's what I can do. These little kids with diseases and defects makes them scared and hurt, as well as put their parents and families through hell. If I can help even a little bit, I certainly will do my part.

Hope those help Kenny, My vote goes to one of those three!

Weapon_R
12-18-2004, 04:28 AM
I support any charity that contributes to the research of cancer.

Our mothers and sisters are all at risk of breast cancer at some point in our lives. Our fathers, of prostate and colon cancer. And nothing is sadder than seeing someone battling this disease, which in many cases, is not even preventable.

1badPT
12-18-2004, 01:31 PM
I like United way because they do the best job of making sure the donations get used properly rather than paying out salaries of administrators and overhead. United way in itself isn't really a charity so much as a collector and re-distributor of funds for charities. So your money may help build houses, or feed the hungry, or help underpriveleged children, and so on. If you make regular contributions or large contributions, United way will let you direct which charities benefit from your donation.

bigboom
12-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
I like United way because they do the best job of making sure the donations get used properly rather than paying out salaries of administrators and overhead. United way in itself isn't really a charity so much as a collector and re-distributor of funds for charities. So your money may help build houses, or feed the hungry, or help underpriveleged children, and so on. If you make regular contributions or large contributions, United way will let you direct which charities benefit from your donation.

werd...thats why this is the only charity i donate to.

in*10*se
12-18-2004, 02:11 PM
mealsonwheels.com

i dunno old people count? it's a non profit organization