PDA

View Full Version : guitar tech help needed

finboy
12-17-2004, 08:35 PM
so i just blew out my 4th or 5th D string this month, but instead of just snapping in half like most strings, these ones keep blowing out right at the bridge.

it doesn't LOOK like there is anything wrong with the area that the string rests on, but there has to be some reason it keeps breaking in the same place, help :dunno:

lam-boy
12-17-2004, 08:58 PM
haha, that sucks man. I blew out the e string last night.
stung my hand, I can tell you that.

MenteL
12-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Try checking for rough spots that the string may be rubbing on. I kept breaking my 3rd string because there was a rough spot on the bridge that rubbed the string everytime it was plucked

three.eighteen.
12-17-2004, 10:51 PM
yeah, when strings break at the nut or bridge, its because you probably have a rough spot on the saddle or nut

Mckenzie
12-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
yeah, when strings break at the nut or bridge, its because you probably have a rough spot on the saddle or nut :werd:

Or its time for you to move to some 12 guage strings....:D

You shouldn't be breaking strings that often. I play the shit out of my guitar and I cane even remember the last time I broke a string.

MenteL
12-18-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
:werd:

You shouldn't be breaking strings that often. I play the shit out of my guitar and I cane even remember the last time I broke a string.

I broke my tremelo :(

finboy
12-18-2004, 04:08 PM
:werd:

i play agressivly :D

i'll check out the bridge though, should i just take a file to it and smooth it out :dunno:

2 of my guitars now need repairing right before the christmas season, damnit :nut:

Mckenzie
12-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by MenteL

I broke my tremelo :(

Man you must play rough.... :D

Originally posted by finboy

i play agressivly :D

i'll check out the bridge though, should i just take a file to it and smooth it out :dunno:

2 of my guitars now need repairing right before the christmas season, damnit :nut:

That would probably do it....just look for some small imperfections and file them down. If that does not work, get it setup with some heavier strings.

MenteL
12-18-2004, 10:37 PM

Man you must play rough.... :D

That would probably do it....just look for some small imperfections and file them down. If that does not work, get it setup with some heavier strings. I don't know what kind of bridge to get. I'm looking for a locking bridge powder coated black. To match my guitar which looks like it came from the matrix. was made in 1985 and is a Series A.......apparantly series a is a subsidary of jackson? no clue. its a nice guitar though, just sad i cant play it. i picked up some black coated string for it too which look really sweet, and they dont rust or corrode from my my finger sweat/oils.

finboy
12-19-2004, 12:17 AM
I don't know what kind of bridge to get. I'm looking for a locking bridge powder coated black. To match my guitar which looks like it came from the matrix. was made in 1985 and is a Series A.......apparantly series a is a subsidary of jackson? no clue. its a nice guitar though, just sad i cant play it. i picked up some black coated string for it too which look really sweet, and they dont rust or corrode from my my finger sweat/oils.

black strings, where the hell did you get those? :dunno:

three.eighteen.
12-19-2004, 01:00 AM
maybe they have ricer strings now?

MenteL
12-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by finboy

black strings, where the hell did you get those? :dunno: Mothers Music located in the old volkswagen shop by the old ikea. 20 bucks a pack

wildkarrde
12-19-2004, 01:43 AM
Same life as a normal set?
Thats pricey...

Mckenzie
12-19-2004, 02:00 AM
I think those are elixr strings and yes they are pricey.

Focus
12-19-2004, 04:06 PM
I would think it is a rough spot on your bridge saddle. you can get cheap replacements for them. I have even seen carbon fibre saddles that don't get rough spots. ( I was going to get a set for my strat, but never did)

It could also be your intonation if the tension on that sting is too tight it will snap there as well. You could take your guitar to L&M and talk to Tim Griffen. (Awesome guitar tech!!)

Series A was a sub model from Jackson that was sold through Mr. Entertainment. I don't think they exsist anymore??

Good luck! :thumbsup:

MenteL
12-19-2004, 04:07 PM
I think those are elixr strings and yes they are pricey. They are worth it. They are smooth, resistant to corrosion, i havent been able to use them with my guitar since its broken, but my dads got some on his ibanez destroyer, beenusing them for almost 8 months without a problem, and he plays hard 80% of what he plays. Goes through alot of blues riffs with tons of bending, no snaps.

mazda_maniac
12-20-2004, 10:17 AM
I hope you're dad would change his strings more often than once every 8 months.......damn those would be dead ass strings..........

MenteL
12-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by mazda_maniac
I hope you're dad would change his strings more often than once every 8 months.......damn those would be dead ass strings.......... Usually he does. But when you're only playing for yourself by yourself, who cares what them strings sound like :)

wildkarrde
12-20-2004, 11:03 PM
They are worth it. They are smooth, resistant to corrosion, i havent been able to use them with my guitar since its broken, but my dads got some on his ibanez destroyer, beenusing them for almost 8 months without a problem, and he plays hard 80% of what he plays. Goes through alot of blues riffs with tons of bending, no snaps.

Yeah, I hear they last for a long time, but is it true they give off a dull tone compared to normal strings?

MenteL
12-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by wildkarrde

Yeah, I hear they last for a long time, but is it true they give off a dull tone compared to normal strings? a little. if you jam alot and perform at clubs or events or anything like that you will notice a difference, but if you havent picked up a guitar in a month or two, it won't strike you as being different right away.