PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' to spent $3000 on a paint job

Mad$ella
12-18-2004, 01:26 AM
I have a '91 5.0L mustang, red, i am looking to spend $3000 on a paint job which will include minor body work, mounting/painting fibreglass hood, and full paint (red) of the exterior. If any one has any ideas where i could get the best bang-for-my-buck at the $3000 range let me know please.

JAYMEZ
12-18-2004, 01:52 AM
Your in the same boat as me... Did you try Marnellos? They are good guys , they are doin my kit and what not.. exspensive but awesome. But I dont think they would do it for 3k.

DEATH2000
12-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Maaco can do it for under 3k but i wouldnt really recommend them if you want a really good job, a half-assed job there is about $1500. but if you want a custom job go to PaintDruid.com, they have some really kool stuff

Def_3
12-18-2004, 04:42 PM
StreetRod Customs, 607-0041 ask for JOE

CIVIC_MAN
12-23-2004, 07:44 PM
why would you spend 3k on a paintjob for a mustang?

jk

Proyecto2000
12-29-2004, 11:36 AM
check out A-1 by Mac Trail

JAYMEZ
12-29-2004, 12:00 PM
^^ Ack stay away from A-1 , unless you want your car bagged to shit.

Mad$ella
12-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

Good tip, imma make sure to check the Odometer when i drop it off, not really considering A-1

heavyD
01-06-2005, 01:59 PM

Or you could stay away from A-1 Autobody if you want a good paint job. A-1 doesn't believe in prepping vehicles before they paint. I know from experience.:thumbsdow

GT2NV
01-06-2005, 08:45 PM
A-1 is crazy expensive as well:nut:

JAYMEZ
01-06-2005, 09:31 PM
They dont prep?? Ack

BigShow
01-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Doesn't A-1 offer a lifetime gaurantee on they're work?

HEWSINATOR
01-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I have got a few cars painted and an important element that I did not think of, and learned the hard way, is like mentioned, a warrenty.

CokerRat
01-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Calgary Coachworks just off MacLeod Trail (immed north of Heritage Dr, in the same strip mall as Outlaws) did some excellent work for me last year.

Mad$ella
01-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by CokerRat
Calgary Coachworks just off MacLeod Trail (immed north of Heritage Dr, in the same strip mall as Outlaws) did some excellent work for me last year.

At what price range...?

CokerRat
01-12-2005, 09:50 PM
I only had the front nose fascia and lower spoiler repainted, which involved a fair bit of removal and reinstallation work (retractable headlights make it a little more work to reinstall and realign). The cost was lower than A-1. Color match was very good.

Mad$ella
01-17-2005, 12:36 AM
**BUMP**

i am still interested in more options...

JAYMEZ
01-17-2005, 12:58 AM
*** As am I ***

I was dissapointed in Marelleno , I went to Autotemp (or whatever its called by Tunerworks) and they wouldnt do my car unless i took out the engine , yet they still quoted me $5800+ ....

There must be some places really reliable.

Redlyne_mr2
01-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Alex redone autobody or something like that. Ive been doing a ton of research on paint jobs as Im having one done soon. I have heard and seen awesome things about Seikens paint. to spray Seikens you need a downdraft booth. I know maranellos and a few other high end places spray seikens. IMO dupont and ppf paint is garbage and RM doesnt seem to be that great either.
Alex redone uses seikens and quoted me a starting price of 1500 dollars where most places wanted 3K. They also do work for surrounding dealers which i think means something. Theyre in the NE and in the phone book. If you decide to use them get back to me as I want them to paint my mr2

Mad$ella
01-21-2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Alex redone autobody or something like that. Ive been doing a ton of research on paint jobs as Im having one done soon. I have heard and seen awesome things about Seikens paint. to spray Seikens you need a downdraft booth. I know maranellos and a few other high end places spray seikens. IMO dupont and ppf paint is garbage and RM doesnt seem to be that great either.
Alex redone uses seikens and quoted me a starting price of 1500 dollars where most places wanted 3K. They also do work for surrounding dealers which i think means something. Theyre in the NE and in the phone book. If you decide to use them get back to me as I want them to paint my mr2

Maybe if you look into anything, you can also mention that i need work done too, and maybe we can get some volume discount or something. Keep me posted.

Redlyne_mr2
01-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Mad$ella

Maybe if you look into anything, you can also mention that i need work done too, and maybe we can get some volume discount or something. Keep me posted.
Im going to test them out by having them paint a new fender I got for my 944. Ill post pics when its done

Rockski
01-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

i agree that seikens is primo paint, but i wouldnt be so quick to knock du pont, they've HAD some really good paint and clearcoats, most of it is starting to go though...:thumbsdow

googe
01-29-2005, 06:07 AM
macleod trail autobody use sikkens paint, and theyre definitely a trustworthy shop. its family run and theyve been around a while, you can tell they like what they do. ive seen them bend over backwards to meet commitments. i dont think they have loaners though.

JAYMEZ
01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
^^ Where abouts on Macleod? I need to get my car done ASAP.

googe
01-29-2005, 03:37 PM
^^ Where abouts on Macleod? I need to get my car done ASAP.

if youre heading north on macleod, keep going past chinook, past willys, and turn right just before the mcdonalds...its down the hill on that corner. 319 38A Avenue SE is their address.

JAYMEZ
01-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Alright went to Macleod place , $4800 for my car , thats pretty good deal.

ninspeed
01-31-2005, 08:13 PM
RM is an amazing product if you can apply it at a proper pressure... Due to the VOC laws, gus had to go down to 29psi at the tip... this does not atomize the paint well enough. with the new devilbliss PLUS system, you can can spray up to 40psi, and still meet VOC laws, and makes an amazing finish. Sikkens release a clear that was able to be shot out of a regular HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) gun, and have miminal orange peel. DuPont is catching up again, but DuPont is knowen as production shop based paint, thus they wanna keep the cost down (not as bad as Tru-Value paint used in some shops).

I personally like RM/Glassurit products, but thats what i learnt to spray with, and am most comfortable with... I did a hood on an XLR with sikkens, but it too long to cure before i could polish it