PDA

View Full Version : launching technique

GTS Jeff
12-09-2002, 07:33 PM
how do u like to launch?

i am pretty new to driving manual and my idea of launching is pretty basic and probably pretty hard on the car too. i basically rev up to 5 grand, drop the clutch as fast as i can, and hold the revs at 5 grand til i get traction, then go wot.

im sure thats totally wrong :D

Weapon_R
12-09-2002, 07:38 PM
I usually feather it in, I rarely raise the rpms higher than 3000, because what you lose in acceleration you usually get in the added traction.

SilverStreak
12-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Rev to 7000, side step the clutch, and you're off :D

GTS Jeff
12-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I usually feather it in, I rarely raise the rpms higher than 3000, because what you lose in acceleration you usually get in the added traction. itd be different on a fwd than a rwd tho right?

Fuji
12-09-2002, 09:26 PM
You should feather... RPM wise depends on your car. I do it at about 4600. Keep in mind I am not great at dragging, let alone driving

OPGForce
12-09-2002, 09:33 PM
You have to experiment what RPM is best for your car to launch at. For my Civic, 3000 RPM is perfect. 5000 RPM will create massive wheel spin. For now, I like "slipping the clutch". Less wheel spin, and smoother launch.

gpomp
12-09-2002, 10:37 PM
Launching is bad :thumbsdow

GTS Jeff
12-09-2002, 10:43 PM
i was talking to ancient at the 403 meet and he said that i shouldnt let out the clutch completely until its engaged for sure....

if i just drop it as quick as possible, is that worse for the clutch than feathering it?

SilverStreak
12-09-2002, 10:59 PM
If you feather for a high rpm drop/launch you will fry your clutch, not a good smell :eek:

Weapon_R
12-09-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
i was talking to ancient at the 403 meet and he said that i shouldnt let out the clutch completely until its engaged for sure....

if i just drop it as quick as possible, is that worse for the clutch than feathering it?

Dropping a clutch is much easier on the clutch than feathering it.

T5_X
12-09-2002, 11:39 PM

Dropping a clutch is much easier on the clutch than feathering it.

Its gotta be harder on other components though, like the diff, cv joints, tires etc.

three.eighteen.
12-09-2002, 11:45 PM
yeah, feathering youre basically scraping the clutch around until youre really off the pedal, on a hard launch it just clamps and shocks your driveline from the engine to your drive wheels...if you dunno what works best ask guys that drive ae86s as well

ancient
12-09-2002, 11:46 PM
Dont' feather it, but dont' just let your foot off the clutch , so it goes THWAP..... Let it out quick but dont' drop it.

ancient
12-09-2002, 11:47 PM
In my car i get mad wheel spin in 1st in second if I drop it at high rpms.... And even going into 2nd when im giving it, it spins.

Could be the roads cause they are fairly cold.

ConVict
12-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Nothing takes good to Dropping the clutch.. Like axles and what not... Not quite sure about the tranny but I am sure its not great for it...
Feathering is really bad for your clutch, but as a person with no acualy knowledge i think it would be better for the other parts of your car... plus i found i would always have a way smoother shift to second if i feathered it ?!?!
can anyone get technical on this ?

cocoabrova
12-09-2002, 11:53 PM
I tried feathering my clutch at SS and I wasn't happy with my 60' times.... After taking the advice of some fellow Honda guys, I tried dropping it at 6-7 grand and..... Voila!! Better 60' times/better E.T.:thumbsup:

boi-alien
12-09-2002, 11:56 PM
i find that feathering doesn't help for me neither. i seem to get worse 60' times as well

T5_X
12-10-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ConVict
Nothing takes good to Dropping the clutch.. Like axles and what not... Not quite sure about the tranny but I am sure its not great for it...
Feathering is really bad for your clutch, but as a person with no acualy knowledge i think it would be better for the other parts of your car... plus i found i would always have a way smoother shift to second if i feathered it ?!?!
can anyone get technical on this ?

I don't think dropping the clutch would harm the tranny too much unless the teeth are already ground up. If you're in gear, then your dog teeth are already snug into the holes in that gear, so jolting power won't cause anything to be "struck" unless the holes and teeth are already worn. However, if lots of power is being layed into it, then the layshaft and splined shaft could bend in theory I guess. I think the real harm would be done to thinner driveaxles that are long (easier to bend then, same for single driveshaft) the diff (especially limited slip or locking) any joints, and maybe the bearings, specially if they're not packed in good.

Weapon_R
12-10-2002, 12:11 AM
Actually, dropping the clutch is not good for the tranny. It is good for the clutch, but can result in gear shock. It's a tradeoff.

T5_X
12-10-2002, 12:19 AM
Actually, dropping the clutch is not good for the tranny. It is good for the clutch, but can result in gear shock. It's a tradeoff.

Unless you have an extreme amount of power going to the gears then jarring won't damage them. Once gears are snug up against each other, they function as one unit, unless they're loose and/or have worn teeth. Of cousre, even for the strongest, most snug system, there's a breaking point :) And if you do enough jarring, then things are gonna wear out after a period.

Superesc
12-10-2002, 12:24 AM
I have enough problem driving properly..... I just learn from Dirty_SOHC whenever I can hehehe

ninspeed
12-10-2002, 12:27 AM
i used to drop at about 2200 rpm.. no wheel spin, just grab and go.. anything higher (2500rpm and up) just made mad wheel spin till end of 2nd gear

SilverStreak
12-10-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

Once gears are snug up against each other, they function as one unit, unless they're loose and/or have worn teeth.

the old school drag racers call this loading the tranny.

buh_buh
12-10-2002, 12:39 AM
I like to rev it up to around 5000rpm, then modulate traction with the clutch as the pedal goes to the metal!

James
12-10-2002, 12:48 AM
I Usually Drop it about 6000-6500...any lower and it bogs out real bad...but dropping at high revs gets mad Wheel spin..so it basically evens out. My clutch is messed right now anyway. Too much hard driving.

GTS Jeff
12-10-2002, 01:09 AM
mmmm so from i gather on this thread, the best way is to kinda do a little bit of both, like dont drop it hard, and dont feather it...but a little bit of both...liek what ancient said. hmm aaight.

anyway, i seem to get good results from 5000rpm, but that might be cuz im rwd.

shadowz
12-10-2002, 01:50 AM
I take it to 5000-5500 RPM try to get it in vtec range, then I dump the clutch, a bit of wheel spin, then the tires catch , take it to redline, shift and when the RPMs drop while still in Vtec and so on

Ben
12-10-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
mmmm so from i gather on this thread, the best way is to kinda do a little bit of both, like dont drop it hard, and dont feather it...but a little bit of both...liek what ancient said. hmm aaight.

anyway, i seem to get good results from 5000rpm, but that might be cuz im rwd.

Fuck man, did you not listen to a word I said when you were in town?!

hahaha

Jesus, I'll have to show you on my beat down clutch in Etown this weekend

4wheeldrift
12-10-2002, 08:01 AM
The best way I have found lies somewhere in between feathering it and dropping it. Keep in mind that this is what i have found work in an all wheel drive car that isn't really a rev monster, your mileage may vary no warranty expressed or written blah blah blah...

For solo launches, I generally run the car up to about 4000 rpm or so and then let the clutch out as fast as I can manage without dumping it. If you don't do it quite right, you might get a little bit of smell from the clutch but it won't be constant torched clutch smell. The idea is to break the tires loose a little bit when you launch, so the tires take the majority of the shock instead of the driveline.