PDA

View Full Version : intercooler help

white rice
12-18-2004, 03:00 PM
okay i need to buy a intercooler really fast here.

ive been lookin on ebay and seeing all these no name brands of intercoolers. my question is are most intercoolers the smae or do i need a certain intercooler for my app.

i have a turboed b18a. and a limited budget.

oh and if anyone has a intercooler in town for a good price, let me know

thanks boys

djfob
12-18-2004, 03:42 PM
What's the setup and how much power are you looking to make? If you're on a limited budget you can always use a sidemount off a dsm if your not shooting for high numbers.

white rice
12-18-2004, 05:12 PM
well i have a b18a with 450's a turbo from a audi 5000 (k26) if that helps, stock intenals, and a walbro with uberdata. thats about it. i have ran the car yet, so i dont know what type of power i am going to get but i want the most out of my sissy b18a.

i would like to spend less than 300 on the thing, but i need it to look asthetically pleasing, so side it has to be a frone mount polished silver to go with the car. i know it sounds gay, but i need the perfomance and the looks, girls usually are only interested in the looks.

thanks bud.

Scat
12-18-2004, 05:23 PM
http://www.speedpartsrus.com/
decent prices and they are new.

white rice
12-18-2004, 05:36 PM
so are all intercoolers the same, will i ever see the difference even if i were to do a high output application. or is it mearly going to be 1-2 hp.

please help.

EFHatch
12-18-2004, 06:10 PM
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=29715

my next setup i'm going with one of these.

apparently mine now is too small :dunno:

theken
12-19-2004, 03:30 PM
www.meganracing.com

finboy
12-20-2004, 01:19 AM
i have a cooler for sale, 36X12X6, end tanks at top and bottom, and its not cut up.

white rice
12-20-2004, 05:03 PM
no thanks i alrady called you but the ends tanks are not what i want, but thanks

Alpine Autowerks
12-22-2004, 11:48 PM
most i/c cores come from spearco or bell . as in corky bell

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/intercoolers.html

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/

pressure_ratio
12-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Not all cores are the same,some are better than others.Spearco has those nice charts for their cores to make matching easy.
Other than efficient cooling pressure drop is a concern.Every psi lost through the IC is power your losing,the turbo works harder to make it up and you get more heat and so on.
If you want a cheap core that seems to work good try one from a Mazda 626 gt/Ford probe gt.

white rice
12-25-2004, 02:26 PM
great thanks so what type of numbers am i to expect from a good intercooler in terms of pressure drop. like 1.5 psi or something, i keep looking at this intercooler on ebay called a mistumishi. does anyone know anything about it.

Alpine Autowerks
12-25-2004, 10:15 PM
do not fixate only on pressure drop, a straight pipe has an excelent spec for pressure drop but it not a very effective i/c.

atomic
12-26-2004, 01:36 AM
fyi also make sure you are building this with mandrel bend piping and clean welds (not overlapping) with as few bends as possible . a billion dollar intercooler with 100% effeciency would be useless without properly built piping.

(ie don't go to canadian tire and use their muffler bits...)

white rice
12-26-2004, 11:27 AM
cool ya that was the plan, its just the dam i/c that i am parinoid about. i dont want to buy a 500 dollar i/c and it work like ass.

\

Bucktown
12-26-2004, 04:46 PM
you dont need one if your running a low psi....take your time, and buy a big one when your ready/built for higher boost.

pressure_ratio
12-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
you dont need one if your running a low psi....take your time, and buy a big one when your ready/built for higher boost.
thats a really good piece of advice that people seem to forget,a lot of the turboed cars I see around have an intercooler thats way overkill,sure it looks cool but you're not gaining anything.That big ass intercooler is adding lag to your system.in reality, you don't really need an intercooler for for 5 or 6 psi if your turbo is working in it's efficiency range,but it is nice to have one.