PDA

View Full Version : Is it a new LAW in Calgary with our MOD cars?

1BADSTI
12-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi guys,

I have an apexi ws cat back on my car. And last night while I was on 16AVE....The cop pull me over and give a ticket for my exhaust. The ticket said " 61121 operate MV with exhaust outlet of muffler wide " And this ticket is $115 bucks. I don't know if this is a new law or what...but I have this exhaust for more than 2 years and had no problem till now... If you guys know something let's me know.... I'll go see the prosecutor to fight this ticket....Thanks

Weapon_R
12-19-2004, 01:26 PM
You cannot have a modified exhaust tip. It is illegal, it is not new. You were just lucky not to get caught until today.

SikAssR1
12-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Cop must have been in a bad mood.

Skylinelover
12-19-2004, 01:31 PM
^
No it is just nearing the end of the month.

Maxt
12-19-2004, 01:36 PM
I think the police are really pushing the limits on the muffler issue, its not that they are modified, its that the replacement muffler has a tip on it thats larger than the oem, the owner of the car didn't "widen" the muffler, the muffler came wider...I think the spirit of the law was aimed at stopping people from cutting the last 1" of the muffler off to skirt the no muffler law, or welding a 6" pipe onto an oem muffler, not buying a replacement with just a larger tip.. Someone is gonna half to post up the actual rule, for all our sakes, perhaps we should all look at this rule, even general replacement mufflers usually have a wider tip than stock, and some stock mufflers have flared tips, these can't be illegal to, if they were, they shouldn't be selling the cars new with them, and the cops should be posted at the exits of all the new car dealerships handing out tickets..IMHO, the police are just abusing the law by taking advantage of poor wording..Maxt

ehos
12-19-2004, 01:40 PM
It's about time. The cops could make a pretty penny busting fart can exhausts.

I think the Police are starting to realize this cash cow, and will come down hard this summer.

Toms-SC
12-19-2004, 01:42 PM
I just hope these exhaust tips become 'out of style' or 'out of fad' after awhile.

Heres a link to your exact same problem if you would have searched.
Exhaust Ticket Laws (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68580)

Fobby
12-19-2004, 01:47 PM
It would be interesting to see what the cop would consider illegal. If as stated above that if the tip is larger then OEM, then it's a ticket, that would be pretty much Any one with an aftermarket, either for modification purposes or the OEM one was rusted out, will get one of these ticket. Wouldn't that drive any muffler shop in Calgary out of business?

Maybe you were doing some crazy stunt on the street and the cop noticed and just slap you with all that they can?

1BADSTI
12-19-2004, 01:59 PM
I drove with a speed limited... It was just a bad timming I guess... So just wonder, is it any part not OEM is illegal? Considering like exhaust, signal light, and maker?

civicrider
12-19-2004, 02:01 PM
what about if you have a silencer in your exhaust can you still get a ticket?

Skylinelover
12-19-2004, 02:01 PM
^ Where you reving high?

1BADSTI
12-19-2004, 02:06 PM
No....3500 RPM on 5th gears...I was running on 16ave

Maxt
12-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Yeah, the question from the link that TOMsc posted is at what point in the chain from the oem to the owner is it legal to have a tip put on a exhuast system that is larger than the pipe?

46(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

At what point in the manafacturer of the system does it become legal or illegal to do, it could be argued that most oem's dont make their own mufflers anways, in essence all mufflers are aftermarket, My GM van has a bone stock muffler on it, the outlet is greater than the inlet, is it illegal? If you have a big tip on a peice of pipe after the muffler, not one of that applies, as the exhaust outlet of the muffler has not been widended, it comes down to semantics almost on both sides of the argument..
Really if they want to crack down on the noise of some cars, equip the cops with decible meters... The cops handing out tickets for noise to owners of aftermarket exhaust systems was struck down in California recently, they can't hand out a ticket without evidence to support it, so here they have been stretching the equipement law, the outlet of a HKS super drager might be 4" but it has not been widended, its built like that, it was never narrower at any point in its life, so there is no basis for that section of the law to apply..The same would apply for muffler sold at places like Carline and such... Does Carline make you sign a waiver when you get your exhaust done that its no long legal on for on highway use? I dont think so...Maxt

Fobby
12-19-2004, 03:02 PM
3500 rpm in 5th gear on 16ave and you are still within speed limit? what do you drive? 3500rpm in 5th I am going 100+km/h

Toms-SC
12-19-2004, 03:04 PM
the law should be revised to something on the lines of this

1) a) No muffler outlet shall be greater then the size of 3" when equiped on a passanger vehicle. b) No muffler shall excede the sound levels of ----dps at WOT.

Something like that would be a much more efficient law.

googe
12-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

1) a) No muffler outlet shall be greater then the size of 3" when equiped on a passanger vehicle.

what would be the point of that? if i have three 3" outlets i am legal but someone with one 4" isnt? a 90 hp tracker should be subject to the same size as a 500hp lamborghini? governing based on noise makes sense, size just doesnt.

Toms-SC
12-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Size relates directly to noise

googe
12-19-2004, 06:30 PM

couldnt be more wrong!

Fobby
12-19-2004, 07:31 PM
nosie does relates to size, but it's not the only factor. The material used, the different between crush and mandrel bend, all plays a big role in how loud the exhaust will be.

Toms-SC
12-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by googe

couldnt be more wrong!

Prove it, give me a case where a larger muffler makes the car quite.

benyl
12-19-2004, 08:09 PM

That is BS

Originally posted by googe

couldnt be more wrong!

That is not completely true either.

Originally posted by Fobby
nosie does relates to size, but it's not the only factor. The material used, the different between crush and mandrel bend, all plays a big role in how loud the exhaust will be.

It is related to size, but not directly.

You can "tune" an exhaust to be very silent with the right bends and length of pipe.

Look up harmonics in your physics text book.

BumpinTalon
12-19-2004, 08:42 PM
b) No muffler shall excede the sound levels of ----dps at WOT.

that would be the worst law ever. it would be so up to individual interpretation, you would constantly be harrassed for your exhaust and it would be expensive to fight the constant stream of tickets.
they use this law down in some states (xxx dB, from x feet away, at usually 3,500rpm in idle) and you hear nothing but bitching about it from everyone. you can get the ticket thrown out if you go and get it inspected, but you need a new inspection every single time you get a ticket and the inspection costs quite a bit and is only good to clear any tickets you might have pending on your exhaust. it isn't good for a second time because there is no proof you haven't changed the exhaust since then.
all in all, if we were to do something like this, it would need to be very, very rigidly done with a better system of inspections to ensure legality, otherwise it will just be a gigantic cash cow for the city.

Fobby
12-19-2004, 08:42 PM
isn't that what I just said?

Maxt
12-19-2004, 09:06 PM
The muffler on my van is large by huge and its whisper quiet, the mufflers on my 440 dodge are quite small , and that thing sounds like a top fuel car coming down the road..Noise and muffler size are not neccesarily related.....
There should be a "got a exhaust ticket" registry style thread on here, and everyone that gets one should post in it , with what muffler with a pic, everyone should fight that ticket, and get the police back on track of applying laws properly, thats my opinion on it..
I have been warned on the exhaust subject by the police, on a couple of my vehicles. I think they knew from the questions I shot back at them, that I was likely to fight it, and probably beat it.. On my turbo car, its got 3" exits, on 2.5" muffler,s the extension though is part of the piping not the muffler...Its just a way of hassling people thats all..Maxt

vietdood
12-19-2004, 09:25 PM
the neighbor across my street said he's gonna call the bylaw officer to write me a ticket because apparantly my exhaust is too loud and he can't sleep at night. also, he said the house next door change their windows. the exhaust is on my accord and there's a hole somewhere but i'm too cheap to fix it since it's my winter beater

Khyron
12-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by vietdood
the neighbor across my street said he's gonna call the bylaw officer to write me a ticket because apparantly my exhaust is too loud and he can't sleep at night. also, he said the house next door change their windows. the exhaust is on my accord and there's a hole somewhere but i'm too cheap to fix it since it's my winter beater

Not only should you get a 500$ ticket, but you should also be thrown in jail. You make your neighbours change their windows cause you're to cheap to get a new muffler?

Khyron

gorillam
12-20-2004, 02:10 PM

1) a) No muffler outlet shall be greater then the size of 3" when equiped on a passanger vehicle. b) No muffler shall excede the sound levels of ----dps at WOT.

Something like that would be a much more efficient law.

what about hte diesel trucks that come with 3-5" stock???

BumpinTalon
12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Not only should you get a 500$ ticket, but you should also be thrown in jail. You make your neighbours change their windows cause you're to cheap to get a new muffler?

Khyron

who the fuck buys new windows because an exhaust is too loud? sounds like bullshit to me. thicker windows don't have much more sound insulating properties then thin ones. and there is absolutely no way he cracked them with his exhaust. I think his neighbor is bullshitting.

Z_Fan
12-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Mufflers
46(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine
shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise and without the emission of any flame or sparks.
(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the
vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.
(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which
has been removed a baffle-plate or other part.
(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.
(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust
system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

maxout
12-20-2004, 04:34 PM
wierd buddy got a ticket to on sat too :werd:

Fobby
12-20-2004, 05:04 PM
:english:

TegLover
12-20-2004, 05:16 PM
this ticket for exhaust is just plain BS

vietdood
12-21-2004, 12:24 AM
they did not change their windows, they're making up stupid excuses. my neighbours don't like me because friends park in front of their house and sometimes i park in front of their house because the front of my house if full of cars. my exhaust has a hole in it but you cannot hear it when you're inside the house. my neighbour is just being a prick, i've never gotten a complaint from anyone else but them and they just moved in half a year ago. the house at the end of my block drives a diesel truck and when he drives by at 2am i can feel my wall shake but i don't see anyone complaining to them

SilverBoost
12-21-2004, 02:14 AM
well... mine is is 3" goin in... and 3" comin out. I think it's a BS ticket though anyhow. With all the crappy drivers out there, there are def better things to be looking for. 20 minutes writing that one up is a crock IMO.

2cents

Speed_69
12-21-2004, 02:41 AM
so if i'm gonna put just a new muffler on my car..should i be worried that i'll get a ticket?