PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there on a balanced diet?

Tyler883
12-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Does anyone out there support the idea of a balanced diet?

It seems to me that if I talk about a balanced diet, everyone looks at me like I'm a :nut:

but it makes total sense to me.

Why would I want to eat an unbalanced breakfast, followed by an unbalanced mid-morning snack, followed by an unbalance lunch, followed by a ........etc

and somehow expect my diet to be consistantly balanced at the end of the day? or even at the end of each week for that matter.

If I learn to balance each meal, and once I follow throw and actually start making these meals......sure none of them will be perfectly balanced

but I'm a beleiver that averages meals will balance over time, at least much better that meals that are extremely high or low in one of the big 3 (protiens, fats, carbs)

Sounds pretty good to me, but a very important word is "implementation" ie you can learn all the information but still fail if you can't implement it into your lifestyle.

So how do you guys do it? What little tricks do you use to implement a healthier diet? do you make up your own frozen dinners? Do you pack veggies around with you all day? What works for you?

Chim
12-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Trust me you're not the only one taking up healthier eating. Seems like you're overanalyzing a bit though, its pretty simple really.

Replace your pizza pops for some chicken breasts, your pop for water, your mcdonalds trips for trips to the local deli shop, etc.

There's no "tricks", it just becomes habit over a period of time. As a matter of fact, when I eat junk food nowadays I get sick, even though I used to live off the stuff :eek:

Tyler883
12-20-2004, 12:43 AM
the kind of "tricks" I had in mind are things like:

I keep almonds to supplement meals that are too low in fat.

I keep apples for meals that don't have enough carbs.

I keep cans if tuna for those days when I have a salad.

GTS Jeff
12-20-2004, 01:19 AM
simple...canada food guide

Shaolin
12-20-2004, 01:29 AM
I stay away from pop, chips or any junk food.. I eat a 1-2 cups of yogurt for breakfast, an orange/fruit at around 10, a 6 inch roast chicken sub for lunch, an orange/fruit at around 2ish, and then eat a small portion of whatever I have for dinner.. usually consists of (pork, beef, chicken or shrimp) with either spinach, bukchoy or green beans with a side of red rice..

it's not a GREAT meal plan, but it works for me.. slowly.

I also take a vitamin supplements at around 10ish and 2ish..

buh_buh
12-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Just don't keep any junk food around the house.
And like Chim said, there's no trick, it just becomes a habit and after a while, you'll naturally start reaching for the healthy food instead of junk food when your hungry.

Wildcat
12-20-2004, 04:02 AM
i eat to compete, so i eat food by the clock for the function not the taste. everyday its groundhog day for me;

breakfast: 1 cup of oatmeal or 10 egg whites
during the day: 1 cup of rice, 1 cup of broccoli cuts, 1 6oz lean chicken breast (4-5 TIMES A DAY)
and 4 protein shakes inbetween with 8-10 litres of water daily.
snacks (sometimes): rice cakes w/ peanut butter.

its not for everyone, but its what i do and it works.

badseed
12-20-2004, 07:28 AM
^You meant to say "8-10" cups right??
8-10 gallons = 30-38 litres

Anywayz I agree with eating a balanced diet to stay healthy and for the average person the Canada Food Guide is pretty useful. You don't have to follow it religously and count your servings ot anything, thats why it's called a "guide", to provide the big picture, point you in the right direction. Many people may bash the canada food guide but you gotta remember this guide was developed by highly educated people based on extensive research and statistics.

hockeybronx
12-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by badseed
^You meant to say "8-10" cups right??
8-10 gallons = 30-38 litres

He sounds like a health/fitness guru so I would say he meant 8-10 litres.

For me I just try to have good variation in my meals. I never skip breakfast. I have key foods which I need to eat pretty much everyday (some kind of meat/ milk/ salad) but other than that it's really not that complicated.

Multivitamins help but will not completely make up for an unbalanced diet. Most of the time the best meals to make aren't always the quickest to make.

Wildcat
12-20-2004, 02:52 PM
ya sorry, i meant litres. :D

calgarygts
12-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Wildcat, what sport do you compete in? You must be a big motha to be packing in that much protein. I compete in bobsleigh and I need to get 2 grams of protein for every kilo of weight for my training.

Wildcat
12-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts
Wildcat, what sport do you compete in? You must be a big motha to be packing in that much protein. I compete in bobsleigh and I need to get 2 grams of protein for every kilo of weight for my training.

im an aspiring body builder, im still young and have a long way to go until i can compete. proby something like 8-10 years. im a bouncer too so being big is kind of a requirement :D

calgarygts
12-20-2004, 04:06 PM
That's cool - I've always wanted to try a competition. Maybe when I'm done with sports I'll give it a shot to see if I can actually go through with the dieting. Ever think about doing a smaller weight class to get some experience?

Wildcat
12-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts
Ever think about doing a smaller weight class to get some experience?

no, i have a big frame (6'3) and smaller weight classes tend to be for smaller people, so to be proportionate i either have to go big or go home :D

lastskpirate
12-20-2004, 09:35 PM
best way to stop eating fast food....watch "SUpersize Me"
i havent eaten mcdonalds since....:barf:

Tyler883
12-20-2004, 10:48 PM
I think "supersize me" should be mandatory viewing in all schools.

max_boost
12-20-2004, 11:21 PM
Balanced diet? hehe It's pretty damn hard when you are surrounded with food 12 hours a day! :eek: :rofl:

hockeybronx
12-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Balanced diet? hehe It's pretty damn hard when you are surrounded with food 12 hours a day! :eek: :rofl:

So you work in a food place? Care to elaborate:confused:

Tyler883
12-21-2004, 08:02 PM
I try for about 35 grams of protien, 15 grams of fat, about 80 grams of carbs in every 4-5 hours.

( I'm already halving my portions when I can, so I can eat every 2-2.5 hours, heard this is better for both losers, and gainers)

In terms of calories that crudely works out to be 25%,25%,50% respectively, for a total of about 600 calories.

Here's some examples

Ex 1(breakfast)
1 cup milk with protien powder
2 slices of toast
1.5 tblespoons of peanut butter
1 apple

Ex2(stirfry)
5 oz of boneless chickbreast
1/3 cup of rice
2 cups of mixed veggies
terriyaki sauce to flavor
1 tblespoon of cold press oil

Ex3(lunch)
1 cup of non-fat cottage cheese
dozen almonds
garden salad (go crazy)
one serving of fruit or grain

I know this stuff is still not perfect, and wide open for criticism but I thought you guys might be appreciate it anyway

Regards
Tyler

Chim
12-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Actually it'd be easier to help ya if you stated some of your goals. If you're just trying to maintain weight and increase your general well being it looks like you're on the right track.

Tyler883
12-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Chim
Actually it'd be easier to help ya if you stated some of your goals. If you're just trying to maintain weight and increase your general well being it looks like you're on the right track.

Please allow me to not focus on the "goals" thing, because I've been very successful ar focusing on my goal for 3-6 months at a time.....only to take a huge setback come xmas time(or some other excuse....there's lots of them, I don't have to look far)

...for me, the word "implementation" is a HUGE issue.

You can fully equip a person with the knowledge of healthy eating, but if he can't "implement" these new changes, he'll never see any lasting benefit.

On the otherhand, if you equip a person with the knowledge of how to implement a diet change, he can enjoy long term benefits from the changes in diet. Then and only then will he benefit from additional learning........see my point?

So when I asked earlier about tips of tricks, the kind of things that I was talkinga about are like the following:

- if you're still hungry after a meal, then have an apple because they are filling, and will also break the behavioral habit of going back for seconds.

Tyler883
12-24-2004, 06:37 PM
- make up a one course frozen meal creation for your freezer, so you have something that you can take to work that takes absolutely no time to prepare in the morning.

this is what I meant be "trick or tip", what kind of stuff do you guys do?