PDA

View Full Version : celica vs. eclipse

a-ngel7
12-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey there,
Can you guys help me out: Ive recently been looking at a 2000 Celica GTS and a 2000 Eclipse GT. I don't know which one I like better, and I don't know which would be the best car. I need someone elses opinion.

statick
12-21-2004, 03:48 PM
celica all the way man:thumbsup: ...

IMO looks better...waaaaay better
better on gas
more reliable

wut kinda stuff u lookin for in a car ?

civic_rida
12-21-2004, 03:56 PM
buy mine ahah

awd
12-21-2004, 04:03 PM
2000 Eclipse GT
Engine: V6
Displacement: 2972 cc
Horsepower: 200 bhp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 200 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
Redline: 6200 rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 6.9 sec
0-¼: 15.3 sec @ 91.3 mph

2000 Celica GT-S
Engine : 4 banger
Displacement : 1796 cc
Horsepower : 180hp @ 7600 rpm
Torque : 130 lb-ft @ 6800 rpm
Redline : 7800 rpm
0-60 mph : 7.2 sec
0-¼ mile : 15.4 sec @ 91.6 mph

CryoCarnage
12-21-2004, 04:05 PM
A lot of ppl are like whoa, the Eclipse has 30 more hp. And therefore faster. BUt since the celica weighs 3 million times less (just an estimate), it would take the eclipse. Get the celica. :thumbsup:

BumpinTalon
12-21-2004, 04:10 PM
The new Eclipse is gay. it's a big woman car. Get the Celica if you want a sports car.

QuasarCav
12-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Celica: High revving 4cyl and a lot less weight.

Eclipse: More of a touring car, heavy, dont have to rev to get power.

What are you looking for?

awd
12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
If I had 15-20K to spend I wouldn't be buying either of them.

statick
12-21-2004, 04:38 PM
^:werd: that much money for a "sports car" i'd get an impreza or a audi A4 and make it fast:burnout: :burnout:
:burnout: :burnout:

heavyD
12-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by statick
^:werd: that much money for a "sports car" i'd get an impreza or a audi A4 and make it fast:burnout: :burnout:
:burnout: :burnout:

Show me a decent WRX for $15 - $20K CDN. Regular Impreza is ASS slow & ugly.

awd
12-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I would take a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS over either one of these any day -- for 15K.

statick
12-21-2004, 05:33 PM

i was referring to impreza 2.5 rs...i like those.

crazydave
12-21-2004, 05:43 PM
i would take the celica over the eclipse. i like the looks of celicas:thumbsup:

badseed
12-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Between the two, I'd take the Celica. I like the styling way better, better on gas, more reliable. I personally don't like anything about the Eclipse except for 200lb/ft torque.

Eclipse doors = :barf: :thumbsdow

awd
12-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by badseed
Between the two, I'd take the Celica. I like the styling way better, better on gas, more reliable. I personally don't like anything about the Eclipse except for 200lb/ft torque.

Eclipse doors = :barf: :thumbsdow

Agreed, the 2000+ eclipses are fugly but I really like the '98s

http://www.autopointer.com/docs/dealers/usedcardealers/automile/98MitsuEclipseGST-09.jpg

heavyD
12-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by awd

I would take a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS over either one of these any day -- for 15K.

Why? Because you love Subarus? You can't tell me that an Impreza 2.5RS does anything better than a Celica besides traction. The 2.5RS's are slower than most Civics, have average handling at best and don't look near as nice as the Celica. Subaru reliability isn't even close to Toyota's.

awd
12-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Why? Because you love Subarus?

Well yea, why else would I spend over 30K on a vehicle I didn't like?

You can't tell me that an Impreza 2.5RS does anything better than a Celica besides traction.

Thats enough for me -- good traction is a fairly important trait to me. All wheel drive vs. Front wheel drive? hah.

The 2.5RS's are slower than most Civics,

Thats BS, the only civic faster than a RS is an SIR -- and it is comparable in price -- nice blanket statement.

[B]have average handling at best and don't look near as nice as the Celica.

Looks are subjective -- IMO, the Celica looks feminine, a "woman's" car -- and hey, if thats what you like, thats your choice.

Subaru reliability isn't even close to Toyota's.

Hell of alot more reliable than a Mitsubishi.

heavyD
12-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by awd

Well yea, why else would I spend over 30K on a vehicle I didn't like?

Thats enough for me -- good traction is a fairly important trait to me. All wheel drive vs. Front wheel drive? hah.

Thats BS, the only civic faster than a RS is an SIR -- and it is comparable in price -- nice blanket statement.

Looks are subjective -- IMO, the Celica looks feminine, a "woman's" car -- and hey, if thats what you like, thats your choice.

Hell of alot more reliable than a Mitsubishi.

You didn't disprove any of my statements. Way to back yourself up.:clap:

awd
12-21-2004, 07:10 PM

You didn't disprove any of my statements. Way to back yourself up.:clap:

None of them were concrete -- just your vague personal opinions. I was hoping to at least hear some DSM gospel in your banter.

:clap:

SteveMo600
12-21-2004, 07:18 PM
I (just like everybody else) much prefer the celica. Great looking car and has a lot of potential. Great car economically.

Originally posted by civic_rida
buy mine ahah

I think you should take a look at this celica. Can't say I would've changed anything.

heavyD
12-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by awd

None of them were concrete -- just your vague personal opinions. I was hoping to at least hear some DSM gospel in your banter.

:clap:

The original question had nothing to do with a DSM so why would I? I have two of them and like them very much if that makes you happy.:whocares:

Sorath
12-21-2004, 08:58 PM
rsx type s over both of them :X

GTS Jeff
12-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
rsx type s over both of them :X wow the only decent reply in this thread comes out of the dumb newbie haha.

we all know why the eclipse sucks, but the celica is just as shitty imo cuz its not very fun to drive. it has a tiny powerband thats like 7000-8000rpm. the rsx-s is faster than both, responds well to mods, extremely reliable, has a completely flat torque curve that beats the liquid poo out of a celica, and the ability to rev high and still be fun for beating around corners.

awd
12-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
wow the only decent reply in this thread comes out of the dumb newbie haha.

we all know why the eclipse sucks, but the celica is just as shitty imo cuz its not very fun to drive. it has a tiny powerband thats like 7000-8000rpm. the rsx-s is faster than both, responds well to mods, extremely reliable, has a completely flat torque curve that beats the liquid poo out of a celica, and the ability to rev high and still be fun for beating around corners.

sure but where can you find an rsx-s for 15K? ;)

ehos
12-21-2004, 09:52 PM
I've owned an Eclipse GT (don't even bother unless it has a V6) and the car is very solid and powerful. It's not a boy racer car, it's a more grown up type touring car. (Plus, not many around!).

The Celica is the 'boy racer' car. It's got a revy engine, and it REALLY needs to be revved to get anything out of it. I wouldn't even bother with the GT, GTS ONLY. (I don't get why anyone would buy a GT, the car is just a piss poor car).

Also, I don't think you will find an Eclipse GT for 15K. Celicas are dime a dozen at 15G's.

mazda_maniac
12-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by ehos
I wouldn't even bother with the GT, GTS ONLY. (I don't get why anyone would buy a GT, the car is just a piss poor car).

Wouldn't buy a GT.................maybe cause they don't have the money, they're female, or just dumb. The guy said between an eclipse gt or a celica gts. So why even bring up the GT.

calgarygts
12-22-2004, 10:30 AM
I own a 2000 celica GTS and I couldn't be happier. They will take an eclipse without too much of a problem because of the weight difference. They are very fun to drive, incredible handling. Reving the car is half the fun, hitting lift is great!! I would recommend a GTS, but NOT AN AUTOMATIC. They are slower than a gt auto from a stop!! Get a six speed if you get one.

RWD
12-22-2004, 11:27 AM
new eclipes are fugly... well i wouldnt mind driving one but the look is too space ship like. v6 engine is sluggish

CryoCarnage
12-22-2004, 12:55 PM
180hp @ 7600 rpm.
i think AWD posted this. Anyways the 180 hp was @ 8200 rpm until 02. THen it became @7600.Small mistake but w/e

shane
12-22-2004, 01:02 PM
CELICA

a-ngel7
12-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Im kinda feelin the celica a bit more now anyways.

civic_rida: I think your car is a little outa my price range, the one I am looking at is $14. Let me know if your gonna lower the price though!!!

mazda_maniac: maybe you should watch your f*#%ing mouth because in case you didn't realize, the person who posted the initial thread was a FEMALE - you must be a brain surgeon.

Sorath: the onlny rsx-s I found that I can afford had duct tape on the stearing wheel from the airbag when the guy was in an accident driving the piss out of the car. I would have had to put at least $5-8000 into it to get it into decent shape again.
maybe when I grow up I can have one of those.

persianprideboy
12-23-2004, 03:11 PM
lol mazda_maniac got toldddddddddd

mazda_maniac
12-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Noit really cause if you go around and look a damn lot of females drive the gt, the dumb afterwords was not saying you're stupid. It was entitleing that maybe someone that doesn't knwo the different trims wouldn't care. Lots of females also buy cars for looks. Also They are cheaper. There's the justification for my post. So I'de recommend going back to junior high and retake English, mainly reading comprehension, cause that mark you must got really woulda lowered you're average taking you outta the prerequisite group to get into that brain surgery.

a-ngel7
12-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Considering that 'Noit' isn't really a word; 'entitleing' doesn't have an 'e' in it, and you used it in the wrong context; and since 'I'd' is a combination of 'I' and 'would', this means there is no 'e' in it.
Maybe you should take your own advise.

theken
12-23-2004, 08:05 PM
lol owned again !

Godfuader
12-23-2004, 08:19 PM
:poosie: :rofl: :rofl:

civic_rida
01-17-2005, 02:15 AM
Wouldn't buy a GT.................maybe cause they don't have the money, they're female, or just dumb. The guy said between an eclipse gt or a celica gts. So why even bring up the GT.

LOL coming from someone who drives a 626.

Aight so i love hearing comments from people who never driven the car or own one. I have a 2000 gts naa im not gonna sell it for $14 000 and i dont even know if gt's go for that much.

Saying the powerband is from 7000-8000 is totally un true.
Its got a way better power band than a civic sir that i use to own.
The vvti kicks in at 6000

Yes the rsx type s is faster but it handles worse and you wont turn as many heads as you would in a celica .

2002 celica gts is the slowest.

calgarygts
01-17-2005, 09:51 AM
If you're looking at a 2000 Celica GTS when you test drive make sure you up and downshift through every gear looking for bad synchros (grinding shen shifting). The transmissions are known for this. Also, you may need to replace the lift bolts (there are some in Calgary like myself who could help you do this - the bolts are only a couple bucks but it would cost a lot to get it done at the dealership). Look up newcelica.org or albertacelicas.com for more info on these cars.

ex1z7
01-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by a-ngel7
Thanks everyone for your input. Im kinda feelin the celica a bit more now anyways.

*snip*
mazda_maniac: maybe you should watch your f*#%ing mouth because in case you didn't realize, the person who posted the initial thread was a FEMALE - you must be a brain surgeon.

*snip*

Wooahhhhh there , settle down. Nobody has any way to tell you're a girl, and in a forum mainly men, girls aren't the most common creature around here :P

Perhaps his oppinion and justification was a little incorrect, surely not all girls buy cars for looks - they know the performance behind their purchase and are just as much enthusiasts as the rest of the people on this site etc. Or perhaps every girl he's known with few exceptions has bought cars based souly on looks or practicality.

That being said.. I'd say go Celica GTS because I'm not a fan of Mitsu at all - and Toyota has sexy TRD stuff ;). Plus the Celica looks nicer in my oppinion. I've always liked Celica's but never thought of owning one, as there are many other cars I like more :)

GTS Jeff
01-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by a-ngel7
Considering that 'Noit' isn't really a word; 'entitleing' doesn't have an 'e' in it, and you used it in the wrong context; and since 'I'd' is a combination of 'I' and 'would', this means there is no 'e' in it.
Maybe you should take your own advise. advice is spelt with a C. advise is a completely different word altogether.

maybe you and mazdamaniac could be study buddies in esl?

heavyD
01-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I vote 2006 Eclipse.:D

Rayme
01-22-2005, 12:48 PM
www.deadeclipse.com

those are bastard child cars, don't even think of it.

The celicas are pretty fun car to drives, but since they're high reving engine car they can be a little slow on pickup, but downshifting and landing the rpm at 6000 will feel gooooood:thumbsup: