PDA

View Full Version : duct tape

IluvMopar
12-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Hello guys!
i looked but couldn't find the anwer to my questions. How do you remove the gum residue from duct tape off the car w/o damaging the paint job? I tried oil (no luck), nail polish remover (a bit of paint color is coming off), and rubbing alcohol (takes forever and not completely getting rid of it). Any other suggestions? :nut:

Another question is my trunk floor has rusted right through. :eek: Should I change the whole bit of just cut out the rusted part and patch it? If I get someone else to fix it, how much would it roughly cost? :dunno:

Scandalous
12-21-2004, 10:43 PM
try kerosene for duct tape.

5hift
12-22-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by IluvMopar
Hello guys!
i looked but couldn't find the anwer to my questions. How do you remove the gum residue from duct tape off the car w/o damaging the paint job? I tried oil (no luck), nail polish remover (a bit of paint color is coming off), and rubbing alcohol (takes forever and not completely getting rid of it). Any other suggestions? :nut:

Another question is my trunk floor has rusted right through. :eek: Should I change the whole bit of just cut out the rusted part and patch it? If I get someone else to fix it, how much would it roughly cost? :dunno:

I dont know about your rust problem, but the solution to the duct tape is easy. I had the same problem with my old car and was afraid to ruin the paint. Just use a regular hair drier, and hold it on the highest heat setting above the gum residue for a good 30 seconds close to the surface. Once its nice and warm, use a product call "Goo Gone" (its like 3 bucks at Canadian Tire) to wipe it off. You wont be able to even tell anything was ever stuck there.

Rikimaru
12-22-2004, 06:38 AM
for your rust a do it your self will work just cut out the rust a weld a new peice in

Rockski
12-22-2004, 08:09 AM
get a new trunk from pull your part

IluvMopar
12-23-2004, 03:09 PM
The Goo Gone worked like a charm! Re: trunk floor........ will it be a safety issue if I just patch it up? The prob right now is exhaust if coming in from the back seat.

thanks again!