PDA

View Full Version : new sound needed

RedHotGolf
12-22-2004, 12:19 AM
hello,
I just got two audiopipe TXX-OD10 500rms, 1000w peak. they are in a box that will do for now.

Im wondering where i can get a decent amp, online, or otherwise, i was told to look for power acoustik lt980/2, anyone have any thoughts?

As well as should i need to get a digital capacitor?

What kind of deck give decent sound, at a decent price, i meen i know you get what you pay for and all, im just looking for decent sound and mp3 playback from CD.

If anyone could give me their opinionn and ideas thatd be a great help, thnx
:tongue:

BumpinTalon
12-22-2004, 12:36 AM
for a deck, get an Alpine. They make a huge range of models with great sound quality for a wide variety of prices. you could get a MP3 Alpine deck that would pretty good for under $200, or you could go nuts and get one for $1,200. there are so many options, you could most definitely find one that perfectly suits your budget.

don't ever buy capacitors. they suck, and are actually a bigger drain on your charging system then just an amp on its own. they are a huge waste of money, because amplifiers ALREADY HAVE CAPS BUILT IN and adding more capacitance does nothing except suck a bunch of extra power from your battery.

power acoustik = not a good brand. stay away. for amps, it depends on the ohm load your subs give. if they are dual 4, you will want an amp that makes maximum power into 1 or 4 ohms. if they a single 4, you want an amp that makes maximum power into 2 ohms to drive your subs to the fullest. if they are single 4, get a Rockford 1000bd. Try not to get a 1001bd, they are not as good. Even better, get the older 1000bd that still has the squared-off heatsink with the silver highlights, because Rockford gets worse and worse every year. otherwise, you could get a newer Rockford 1000 watt amp, I don't know the model number, but if Rockford kept with tradition and put out a new line of amps that out-suck the older ones, you might want to stay away. in that case, get a 2-channel amp that bridges to 4 ohms, and there are a lot of options as far as that goes.

have fun.

RedHotGolf
12-22-2004, 01:34 AM
oh another thing i was considering was a LinuxRoute66 route with touchscreen LCD rather then the typical CD/DVD HU. Im just wondering if anyone has tried this route and how they wired it into the car, the rest of the comp i have basically done (wel in mind not in actual hardware) Any imput again, would be great thnx.

RedHotGolf
12-23-2004, 10:36 AM
10" Woofer, Frequency Response: 20-1,000Hz, Sensitivity: 86dB, Impedance: 2 x 4 Ohms, 1000w peak, 500 rms.

and thank you for your reply. im going to look better for an amp now that im better imformed :)

digitalshogun
12-24-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon

don't ever buy capacitors. they suck, and are actually a bigger drain on your charging system then just an amp on its own. they are a huge waste of money, because amplifiers ALREADY HAVE CAPS BUILT IN and adding more capacitance does nothing except suck a bunch of extra power from your battery.

I have heard this from a couple people recently and still can not wrap my head around it. While I agree that I dont really see that much of a benefit to the capacitor for most systems ... I don't really see a problem either. The only time that a cap would be charging or using any power what so ever is during a voltage change. The biggest one being when you turn on or turn off your car. Granted there is a band-aid effect of trying to correct an incorrect sized alternator with an oversized capacitor. Wouldn't a capacitor simply steady the supply voltage? In theory wouldn't the sound out of the system be more consistent with the system running off the battery? Wouldn't the cap prevent in frequent voltage drops from dimming your headlights? I've never used one so maybe I am missing the practical application of an audio cap but hey I've also been flat out wrong before lol.

soupey
12-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by digitalshogun

I have heard this from a couple people recently and still can not wrap my head around it. While I agree that I dont really see that much of a benefit to the capacitor for most systems ... I don't really see a problem either. The only time that a cap would be charging or using any power what so ever is during a voltage change. The biggest one being when you turn on or turn off your car. Granted there is a band-aid effect of trying to correct an incorrect sized alternator with an oversized capacitor. Wouldn't a capacitor simply steady the supply voltage? In theory wouldn't the sound out of the system be more consistent with the system running off the battery? Wouldn't the cap prevent in frequent voltage drops from dimming your headlights? I've never used one so maybe I am missing the practical application of an audio cap but hey I've also been flat out wrong before lol.

yea ive got one for my system and yes it does prevent voltage drops, your headlights will not dim when your system hits its peaks when u have a cap installed...i have also been told that caps can be used as a cheap way out of buying larger guage wiring, cuz u can split the load between two lower gauge wiring and have the cap handle some of the extra current needed by the system...its like having a very temporary battery right next to your amp...it fills in for irregularities in the car's electrical system, im not entirely sure about what i said about it being able to split the load on wiring so that you wouldn't haf to fork out hte extra cash to put in thicker wires...but it makes sense in my head...anyways if u simply look at some really high end systems or spl setups, they put caps in like mad...for the most part...would these people who have put lots of money into their systems buy caps for no reason at all?...i don't think so...

and if amps seriously had all the capacitors needed built in, nobody would have the headlight dimming issue ever come up, so a few caps maybe, but there aren't enough to prevent any headlight dimming...atleast from my experience...maybe some higher end amps do have more capacitors, im not sure tho...

anyways theres my input...