PDA

View Full Version : Difference between car starters ???

Speed_69
12-22-2004, 02:07 AM
What is the difference between a AM and FM ?
and what does it mean by 1-way or 2-way car starter?
sorrie i'm a newb at this stuff..thanks!

5hift
12-22-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69
What is the difference between a AM and FM ?
and what does it mean by 1-way or 2-way car starter?
sorrie i'm a newb at this stuff..thanks!

AM is amplitude Modulation, and FM is Frequency Modulation. With both AM and FM, a carrier wave must be broadcasted. And it is just that... A carrier wave for the information. The difference is how the "information" rides on that carrier frequency.

AM carrier waves have relatively low frequencies and because of this, they can travel quite a distance and go through buildings and landforms.
FM carrier waves have relatively high frequencies, thus sending a clearer, stronger signal. However, since the carrier frequency is so high, it bounces off obstacles instead of going through them, thus reducing range.

In short if you plan on parking in something like a parkade and wish to start your car from the mall or something, you will have better luck with an AM remote. If you plan to park out in some huge parking lot and will stand at the door of a building to start your car you will have better luck with a FM remote. Since going outside to start your car defeats the purpose, generally the more popular remote is that of a AM frequency.

About the 1 way or two way starter, that is simply on whether you get a response or not from the car back to your remote once you send a signal out. With a one way remote, you can start your car but a message will not relay back to your remote to let you know the car started or not. With a two way remote there is usually a screen with a picture that changes depending on what you do. For example, if you start your car the remote will beep when the car actually starts and may show a picture of a car starting. These two way remotes can also let you know if someone is breaking into your car, or even that you simply have left the doors unlocked.

So if you are looking at getting something like a compustar system, a autostart system, or something along those lines, I would suggest a 2 way - AM starter. It might cost you a little more initially but in my opinion you'll be much happier with it in the long run.