PDA

View Full Version : IS300 VS 325i

deawoo_oh_no
12-22-2004, 12:24 PM
looking for overall quality of ride/ FIRE POWER

ready, set GO!

carson blocks
12-22-2004, 12:39 PM
I could be biased, but I'm a big fan of the IS300. It's an amazing automobile.

Don't get me wrong, the BMW is a great car too, but if it was my cheddar, i'd go for the IS in a heartbeat.

Weapon_R
12-22-2004, 01:00 PM
E46 325i vs. IS300???

LOL, hardly a comparison. E46 for sure.

civicrider
12-22-2004, 01:03 PM
BMW except the IS300 will be cheeper to fix if it breaks.

Weapon_R
12-22-2004, 01:07 PM
http://www.bmw.ca/media_gallery/media/image/3SeriesCoupé_02_640x480.jpg

vs.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=2004+Lexus+IS300/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=1392ske0a/*-http%3A//us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/ag/lexus_is300_5speedsedan_2004_exterior_2_346x270.jpg :thumbsdow

I'm not sure where the comparison ever was?

C4S
12-22-2004, 01:38 PM
If you have read the car and driver test from Jan 2001 ...

325 is nicer then IS 300 ..

Even their performance .. 0-60 mph for 325 --> 7.0 second

and 7.6 second for IS 300 .. yes it was the automatic, the standard tranny IS 300 was tested at 7.4 second.

I won't compare toyota to BMW .... IS 300 should compare to TL, G35 etc ....

If you look at BMW 325 I.. should compare A4 3.0 C320 etc ...May be I am bias . German cars should compare to german car, asian car should compare to asian car. ( since I am asian !)

By the way, are you consider NEW or Used ?

If you are looking for a used one, then I have to agree that toyota cars are super reliable. :)

M_Power
12-22-2004, 01:49 PM
IS300 = softer, smoother, slower
325i = sportier, faster, better

Fusion
12-22-2004, 02:17 PM
BMW FOR SURE

1badPT
12-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Bimmer.

BumpinTalon
12-22-2004, 03:51 PM
I really, really like the IS300. but BMWs are nice.

bigboom
12-22-2004, 04:56 PM
i did the same comparison as you...i ended up with the IS300. which is also quicker than the bimmer 0-60, but i also have the 5 speed.

the is300 actually clocks 6.7 seconds 0-60 with the 5 speed, not 7.4.

carson blocks
12-22-2004, 05:18 PM
The Lexus is a few grand cheaper, and will be much cheaper to maintain and repair. The Lexus has much higher reliability ratings and owner satisfaction ratings than the BMW, and as bigboom said, it has a faster 0-60 time than the BMW.

I personally really like the look of the Lexus, but that's obviously something you'll have to decide for yourself.

I'd just test drive both and make a decision after that. Oh, and borrow / rent something nice to go to the dealerships in or they tend not to take you seriously when shopping for a higher-end car.

Akagi Redsuns
12-22-2004, 05:20 PM
I vote for the E46 325i.

t-im
12-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Oh, and borrow / rent something nice to go to the dealerships in or they tend not to take you seriously when shopping for a higher-end car.

umm whatever :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

E46 325i for sure

Stratus_Power
12-22-2004, 05:39 PM
i heard the new IS300 is coming outnext year, which i think it is way overdued. The current is300 is almost 7 years old ( released in jap '98)

carson blocks
12-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by t-im

umm whatever :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

E46 325i for sure

Do you not think that a Lexus or BMW salesman prejudges your ability to buy a Lexus or BMW when you drive up in a damaged Daewoo? I'm not saying it's right, but really. It happens. When you use a decent car to go to the dealership, you get treated with more respect and the salesman will be more willing to work with you.

carson blocks
12-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
i heard the new IS300 is coming outnext year, which i think it is way overdued. The current is300 is almost 7 years old ( released in jap '98)

I've been told that it will the new IS will have a more powerful engine, awd, and have a new 6 speed manual gearbox to replace the 5 speed in the current model. I'd be pretty excited about it but I saw some preview photos from Lexus head office and I just wasn't crazy about the look of the car. I'll have to wait to see it in person though.

Stratus_Power
12-22-2004, 06:34 PM

I've been told that it will the new IS will have a more powerful engine, awd, and have a new 6 speed manual gearbox to replace the 5 speed in the current model. I'd be pretty excited about it but I saw some preview photos from Lexus head office and I just wasn't crazy about the look of the car. I'll have to wait to see it in person though.

can u post those pic up?

Altezza
12-22-2004, 07:21 PM
The 325i was on my list of vehicles when I was buying a couple years back. I test drove the 325i and the IS300 back-to-back twice. The IS300 is the better performer for sure.

The IS300 was meant as a competitor to the 328i. You will often see magazine comparisons with the 330i and IS300 in the same group (not surprisingly 330i typically comes out on top). 320/325i are often seen compared with the A4 1.8T, C230, TSX, etc.

2006 IS-series currently looking at a 2.5L V6 (220+hp) and a 3.5L V6 at 300+hp. RWD or AWD on 2.5L and RWD only for the 3.5L. Appearance of the vehicle is very similar to the lines of the new-gen GS-series. Hard-top convertible to follow after initial release of sedan.

deawoo_oh_no
12-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
The 325i was on my list of vehicles when I was buying a couple years back. I test drove the 325i and the IS300 back-to-back twice. The IS300 is the better performer for sure.

The IS300 was meant as a competitor to the 328i. You will often see magazine comparisons with the 330i and IS300 in the same group (not surprisingly 330i typically comes out on top). 320/325i are often seen compared with the A4 1.8T, C230, TSX, etc.

2006 IS-series currently looking at a 2.5L V6 (220+hp) and a 3.5L V6 at 300+hp. RWD or AWD on 2.5L and RWD only for the 3.5L. Appearance of the vehicle is very similar to the lines of the new-gen GS-series. Hard-top convertible to follow after initial release of sedan.

you have pics?

FiveFreshFish
12-22-2004, 09:12 PM
2006 IS-series currently looking at a 2.5L V6 (220+hp) and a 3.5L V6 at 300+hp.

V6 or inline-6?

benyl
12-22-2004, 09:33 PM

Do you not think that a Lexus or BMW salesman prejudges your ability to buy a Lexus or BMW when you drive up in a damaged Daewoo? I'm not saying it's right, but really. It happens. When you use a decent car to go to the dealership, you get treated with more respect and the salesman will be more willing to work with you.

Some of the richest people drive the shittiest cars. If a sales guy doesn't know that, he is dumb.

If you 18 years old and show up in a POS, I can see them not giving you the time of day. That is different.

I wouldn't waste my cash renting a "nice" car to buy any car. If the sales guy won't treat you with respect, then he shouldn't be a sales guy.

Back on topic.

Save more cash and get a Base 330i.

t-im
12-22-2004, 09:43 PM

I don't find that true at all.

I've shown up in shitter cars and I get equally good service.

Sales people generally know that i'm not dicking around

and wasting their time.

Hell, i've shown up at bmw with a shitter car and wearing

grubby shorts and flip flops and still got great service.

I don't think it's how you look, it's how you carry yourself -

that's how they determine to take you serious or not

and rent a car just to goto a dealership? what are ya

gonna rent, a cavalier?..unless you wanna spend money

renting a volvo (and they'll know it's a rental anyways) :rolleyes:

Altezza
12-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by deawoo_oh_no

you have pics?

No...and all the pics in circulation around the web are not accurate - that has been confirmed. So posting any of the pics would serve no purpose. The styling is very similar to the new GS, however.

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

V6 or inline-6?

Unfortunately, the IS will lose the I6. It's V6 for sure.

C4S
12-22-2004, 11:35 PM

Oh no .. that is bad .. bad move for Toyota .. I-6 is so nice .. and that is one good reason for people buying IS300 .. it is a I-6 not a V6 ...

So sad to see Benz switch straight 6 to V6 .. and now Toyota will do the same thing ??

I hope BMW won't do the same move .. :(

C4S
12-22-2004, 11:42 PM

This is funny ..

My gf drove a brand new BMW to a Acura dealership .. ( look at the TL-S with her friend ) and of course, my gf was very nice, and polite .. and tried to ask few things about the TL-S ...

But that silly Acura Sales just said " Sorry, girls, do u know how many HP this car has ? 260 ! it has 260 HP ! it is a man car ! not for girl ! it is not for you ! " :dunno:

Then my gf just took her friend to buy another BMW ! :)

Anyway .. both BMW/Lexus will offer their new 3 series and new IS not sure what Toyota will bring with the new IS, since the IS300 sales has never been good .. but most likely will be a 250HP+ and automatic only car, will see in few months.

New 325i will be out in next sept for Canada, with 215HP (258 for 330i )

Another horsepower war .... :dunno:

bigboom
12-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by C4S

Anyway .. both BMW/Lexus will offer their new 3 series and new IS not sure what Toyota will bring with the new IS, since the IS300 sales has never been good .. but most likely will be a 250HP+ and automatic only car, will see in few months.

i highly doubt the new IS will be automatic, very unlikely that it will be alla utomatic especially with their new performance line akin to bmw's M series coming out...

NiteRider
12-23-2004, 02:58 AM
bmw is always a better quality car

carson blocks
12-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power

can u post those pic up?

Sorry, no.. If it ever got back to the management here, I'd probably be fired, or at the very least not allowed to see the new car pics ahead of schedule anymore. And I know some other staff here surf beyond so..

Originally posted by bigboom

i highly doubt the new IS will be automatic, very unlikely that it will be alla utomatic especially with their new performance line akin to bmw's M series coming out...

Right you are, The available transmissions are supposed to be the current auto and an all new 6 speed manual

Originally posted by altezza

Yeah, that's a shame, the I6 was the best feature of the car to me anyways.

Originally posted by altezza

2006 IS-series currently looking at a 2.5L V6 (220+hp) and a 3.5L V6 at 300+hp. RWD or AWD on 2.5L and RWD only for the 3.5L.

Altezza, you seem to know exactly what you're talking about. Do you happen to work for a dealer as well or has that info been made public already?

Originally posted by NiteRider

Traditionally, BMW has always offered superb quality. I'm not BMW bashing at all. I like them alot, however in the last manufacturer quality survey all the Japanese manufacturers were above all the german manufacturers in quality. Lexus is ranked far above BMW for quality and reliability.

CalgaryB5
12-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by C4S
If you have read the car and driver test from Jan 2001 ...

325 is nicer then IS 300 ..

Even their performance .. 0-60 mph for 325 --> 7.0 second

and 7.6 second for IS 300 .. yes it was the automatic, the standard tranny IS 300 was tested at 7.4 second.

I won't compare toyota to BMW .... IS 300 should compare to TL, G35 etc ....

If you look at BMW 325 I.. should compare A4 3.0 C320 etc ...May be I am bias . German cars should compare to german car, asian car should compare to asian car. ( since I am asian !)

By the way, are you consider NEW or Used ?

If you are looking for a used one, then I have to agree that toyota cars are super reliable. :)

I guess C4S will sell you one of his BMWs in no time.

CalgaryB5
12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by C4S

This is funny ..

My gf drove a brand new BMW to a Acura dealership .. ( look at the TL-S with her friend ) and of course, my gf was very nice, and polite .. and tried to ask few things about the TL-S ...

But that silly Acura Sales just said " Sorry, girls, do u know how many HP this car has ? 260 ! it has 260 HP ! it is a man car ! not for girl ! it is not for you ! " :dunno:

Then my gf just took her friend to buy another BMW ! :)

I guess that ACURA sales don’t see your gf buying one of those. ACURA sales just like any other sales for other brands. No particular.

It might just only you in this world think your gf is nice and polite in nature but not others. I doubt something that offensive came out from the sales’ mouth. Anyways, IMO if you drive the car that you like and not end up crashing it then the car is for you.
:burnout:

t-im
12-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Don't even get me started on Acura sales people

They somehow compared the NEW TL to BMW 5 series and Mercedes E class to me stating that the TL was better because it had more power....and I was like...umm there's liek a 30k price difference and those cars are not in the same league, and they still insisted it was better. And they blatantly said my bmw sucked and that the TSX was better. Thats when I walked out and vowed never to go back..hahah

C4S
12-23-2004, 01:07 PM
:)

Sometimes, High-end car dealerships ( Porsche, BMW, BENZ, Audi etc ) they don't always look down on people, and look at what people drive, and sometimes lower-end dealerships (toyota, honda, acura, ford etc .. ) may pre-judge people .. ( by their look, female drivers .. )

It just depends on the salesperson you talked to .. :) When I went to some Ferrari, Porsche dealerships for fun, their staffs were nice and didn't mind chat with me, (of course they know I wasn't buying ! of ) But I had bad experience with Toyota, (but good experience in the same dealership, from the Lexus side ! )

Anyway .. back to the question, has deawoo made up his mind yet ? Is he looking for buy a new car now, or in few months ? if he is looking for a new car for spring/summer time, he probaby should wait for the new 3 series and new IS.

:)

Altezza
12-23-2004, 01:09 PM

LOL, quality and reliability is what pushed me towards Lexus and away from BMW...

Altezza, you seem to know exactly what you're talking about. Do you happen to work for a dealer as well or has that info been made public already?

Nope, I don't work for a dealer. The information has also not been released to the public as of yet. Full Info isn't expected to be public until after Detroit's show - ie, Geneva.

C4S
12-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by t-im
Don't even get me started on Acura sales people

They somehow compared the NEW TL to BMW 5 series and Mercedes E class to me stating that the TL was better because it had more power....and I was like...umm there's liek a 30k price difference and those cars are not in the same league, and they still insisted it was better. And they blatantly said my bmw sucked and that the TSX was better. Thats when I walked out and vowed never to go back..hahah

:rofl: :rofl:

They said the same thing to me ... but when I ask one of them, " If there is a BMW, a Acura, which one will you take for yourself ? " he answered " Of course BMW ! " :zzz:

Anyway, Acura/honda makes great cars, TL is awesome, and good value ( but lots of problem for the 2004 model ) however, we all know that Acura don't hv brand image as Benz/BMW/Lexus ... :)

v0rt3x
12-23-2004, 01:58 PM
I believe it does matter how you dress and your age. For example: I walked into soundsaround wearing a suit (I wear one to work every day, I was on my lunch) and the first thing one of the guys asked me was, "How's business?" When I came back a couple days later, I was with my girlfriend wearing jeans and a hoody...and nobody asked anything the whole time I was there. I eventually left when nobody came up to me and asked me if I needed any assistance. I was looking for a deck, sub and amp at the time and as I was leaving, there were 10 sales guys standing around talking to each other. On my way out to the door, one of the older sales guys (maybe manager, dunno) asked me if one of the guys helped me yet. I said no I'm leaving, I've been waiting for 25 minutes and no one has asked me anything. I went and blew $1300 at A&B sound that day too. Oh well.

bigboom
12-23-2004, 02:00 PM

do you have ANY idea what you are talking about?

v0rt3x
12-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Oh yeah, I've got another thing to add. A friend of a friend was looking for a new car...either an is300 or a 3xx series. He did his research and narrowed it down to the test drive. Basically, the guy at the BMW threw him the keys and said the car sells itself. When he went to the Lexus dealership, they needed paperwork and it was a whole lot of hassle. The friend told him what happened at the BMW dealership and the Lexus guy basically told him that his brand is on a level above BMW, and that it's worth the hassle. He bought the BMW.

Altezza
12-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by v0rt3x
Oh yeah, I've got another thing to add. A friend of a friend was looking for a new car...either an is300 or a 3xx series. He did his research and narrowed it down to the test drive. Basically, the guy at the BMW threw him the keys and said the car sells itself. When he went to the Lexus dealership, they needed paperwork and it was a whole lot of hassle. The friend told him what happened at the BMW dealership and the Lexus guy basically told him that his brand is on a level above BMW, and that it's worth the hassle. He bought the BMW.

Funny, I had nearly the opposite experience. By far the worst experiences I've had at a dealership were at Audi and Acura. In comparison, it made BMW look good, LOL.

edit: After two young punks wrote off an IS300 during a unaccompanied test drive, they are a lot less willing to let younger customers go off alone.

bigboom
12-23-2004, 04:17 PM

Funny, I had nearly the opposite experience. By far the worst experiences I've had at a dealership were at Audi and Acura. In comparison, it made BMW look good, LOL.

edit: After two young punks wrote off an IS300 during a unaccompanied test drive, they are a lot less willing to let younger customers go off alone.

audi was the worst for me. but im with ed, test driving the IS300 was great i was even encouraged to drive it a bit hard. test driving the bmw wasnt too bad either though.

deawoo_oh_no
12-23-2004, 08:49 PM
i have decided on the IS300 in fact i signed for it today :D :clap:
the ppl at bmw wouldnt even talk to me, jus cause i wear jeans an hoodies... fuckers lost MONEY BIZNITCHES

bigboom
12-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by deawoo_oh_no
i have decided on the IS300 in fact i signed for it today :D :clap:
the ppl at bmw wouldnt even talk to me, jus cause i wear jeans an hoodies... fuckers lost MONEY BIZNITCHES

good choice...i love my IS300 and im sure you will too!

CLiVE
12-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

good choice...i love my IS300 and im sure you will too!

I had the opposite experience. Walked in to BMW wearing my gym clothes...looked like a bum. They were very helpful, and let me go on several test drives.

Lexus completely ignored me....

C4S
12-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by CLiVE

Lexus completely ignored me....

Because you are a good taste guy ! :D

( you drive cooper S, right ? )

ACS-e36
12-25-2004, 03:50 AM
is300 = OEM rice lights!

NOWHERE
12-25-2004, 06:19 AM
you got the right car
IS300 is a way better car:clap: :clap: :clap:

Redlyne_mr2
12-25-2004, 11:49 AM
The new IS will destroy the 3 series

CLiVE
12-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by C4S

Because you are a good taste guy ! :D

( you drive cooper S, right ? )

haha thanks. Yes, I drive a MCS.

my wife and I went in to test drive a 325xi/330xi at BMW, ended up walking over to MINI afterwards, and ordered a Cooper S..

RWD
12-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The new IS will destroy the 3 series

and the new 3 series would destroy the is