PDA

View Full Version : turboing an integra

civic4life
12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
how much boost would i be able to run safely on a bone stock B18B, or would i be better off making a ls/vtec?

frozenrice
12-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I've heard that around 7psi is safe without mods.
Here's a few links:
from G2IC (http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html#Top)
from xenocron (http://www.xenocron.com/)

I'm thinking about doing it too so if you know of (or find) any good links let me know. I'm a total noob to turboing so any information would be helpful.

Aleks
12-22-2004, 06:40 PM
If tuned properly this engine can support 250 - 300 whp safely. For the ammount of money I'd say boost your b18b unless your hp goal is much higher. Check out www.honda-tech.com (forced induction section). Lots of good info there.

civic4life
12-22-2004, 09:01 PM
by properly tuned do you mean just take it to a shop and get a tune-up or do you mean buy performence parts or something like that?

Aleks
12-22-2004, 09:10 PM
By tune I mean engine management. ie fuel management, timing, etc. The Air to Fuel ratio is adjusted to compensate for more air. Usually a car would go on a dyno where you would make runs and your tuner would adjust all the parameters. IT is essential to do this rite for your car to run properly. If you're on honda-tech, search for hondata, uberdata, fuel management etc.

Police
12-23-2004, 09:13 PM
its not really PSI that blows your engine there are many factors such as engine condition, fuel management, CFM etc...10psi from a small snail is safer then 10PSI from a huge diesel turbo...:eek:

Police
12-23-2004, 09:14 PM
ohh ya like i said its not really the PSI its how much HP your block can hold up to.

BumpinTalon
12-23-2004, 09:32 PM
PM legendboy here if you want a really, really nice turbo manifold.
edit: never mind, you live in Oklahoma. shipping would be expensive.

vortechfast
12-23-2004, 10:24 PM
I Do not own an Integra but my best firend does. It is turbocharged with 8psi. Has some other bolt on items. It does not run good at all. IT is very peeky and hard to get to launch good on the street casue of the fact it has to be revved up so mush. I would say look into some kind of supercharger they do not provide the huge pwoer but give you more streetable power. Thats my 2 cents :thumbsup:

Aleks
12-24-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by vortechfast
I Do not own an Integra but my best firend does. It is turbocharged with 8psi. Has some other bolt on items. It does not run good at all. IT is very peeky and hard to get to launch good on the street casue of the fact it has to be revved up so mush. I would say look into some kind of supercharger they do not provide the huge pwoer but give you more streetable power. Thats my 2 cents :thumbsup:

launch controller :thumbsup:

BumpinTalon
12-25-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by vortechfast

he should learn how to drive. my friend's MX-3 is turbo'd with a waft of horsepower (300whp) and although it does lag, he can haul ass off the line because he knows how to drive it. he only boosts 8psi too. a supercharger in a FWD will just be worse, my guess is your buddy is either spinning and hitting the rev limit, slipping the clutch wayyy too much (which means he will not have any boost in 1st and for most of 2nd), or bogging which will make it seem like he is putting on a lot of revs when he gets going (Which will take a long time if he bogs in a turbo car). superchargers mean more torque which is even harder for an import to handle then a turbo, and if your buddy can't put up with a turbo and its natural traction control (lagging off the line), a supercharger will not help him either.

youngbex
12-27-2004, 04:04 PM
you guys have got this guy going in ever direction first start off with a compression test to make sure ure motor is evan in good condition and if you turn up some bad numbers then do a leakdown test and if that is positive then do a LS vtec, but if its good compression go ahead and turbo, but turbo'ing your car isnt something you jsut slap togeather in your garage, you need a EMS or a boost retarder and FPR or AFPR would be better because it is adjustable. then you need to think about what turbo to get like if your going in the 600+ range i would suggest a turbonetics 60 series but seeming as hoe you are not i would go with a standard garret T3 or something like a IHI VF34 BB turbo or maybe something a little less extreme IHI RBH6, and while you are deciding on upon what turbo to get u need to think size/PSI/EGT's because if you push a small turbo to hard u will sky rocket ure EGT's and that means DETONATION!!! which you want to avoid and after you decide on that you need to think intercooler and pipeing, and 1st off i would like to say that big intercoolers and for big power to you do not need a massive intercooler i would go with something small but still effective as to your needs and for piping 2 1/4" should suit you jsut fine next you need to think exhaust and CFM's, bah i cant find my cfm exhaust flow chart, but i would go with a 3" turbo back system, it will take a bit longer to spool the turbo but will make all the difference once the turbo is spooled and it should keep your EGT's at a safe level, but this is jsut a BASIC BASIC run down, i could sit here at yap about fuel pumps and ignition timming all damm day but im tired so im not going to, but jsut be smart and you should be fine.

statick
12-27-2004, 04:10 PM
talk to weaponR about this, he has/had a s/c 3g teg and knows how much boost it can handle and all that.

LeeRichmond
12-30-2004, 12:00 PM
compression test buy a 14b turbo from a 1g talon 1g smic 1g bov 450cc injectors AFPR 3 inch exhaust wont take longer to spool up your turbo thats complete bullshit turbocharging is easy but to do it right your going to need a timing a a/f controller go with apexi safc and avcr

Dirty_SOHC
12-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by LeeRichmond
compression test buy a 14b turbo from a 1g talon 1g smic 1g bov 450cc injectors AFPR 3 inch exhaust wont take longer to spool up your turbo thats complete bullshit turbocharging is easy but to do it right your going to need a timing a a/f controller go with apexi safc and avcr

why would you buy and AF controller and apexi safc and avcr. They would do a half ass job. When you could get systems like hondata or uberdata for around the same cost and get a way superior product at in the end

youngbex
12-30-2004, 04:36 PM
hondata is a must, and lee richmond, every dyno plot i have seen on a stock turbo car and putting on a 3" exhaust system does take a few rpm more to spool the turbo but it comes on stronger im not saying if with your stock exhaust your turbo spooled at 3000rpm and with 3" it didnt spool till 5000rpm, but it does taker more rpm to get that turbo spooled but it defenitaly doesnt take like 2000rpm more to spool the turbo, and with the 3" exhaust the turbo comes on stronger.

h22aseller
12-31-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by LeeRichmond

ok, so let's throw on some junkyard parts, put a massive exhaust system on it and try to screw with the computer to make it idle well with huge injectors that are compensated for using one of the least accurate tuning devices known to man. then tune it for full throttle using the same system, but now we are only fooling the computer just enough to prevent it from seeing boost, rather than placing the intake manifold into supposed perfect vaccuum.

Police
01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
^ you're kind of right on the SAFC thing, its not ideal to use it on a non factory turbo car like Hondas but it still works none of the less. The SAFC is perfect for cars like DSM, 240 with SR20, Mazda RX-7 etc because they already have big injectors so it won't have to trim down the map signals. Actually if you burn your own ignition map in your Honda ECU you can run the SAFC and get tunning on the fly.

h22aseller
01-10-2005, 09:35 PM
^ I agree with you that the SAFC is still ok to use to modify factory settings that were already meant to handle boost situations, it becomes shady when you are using something that was only intended to make minor changes to an already decent factory tune to completely remap a fuel curve for boost. Not to mention it has no boost-dependant tuning, just rpm dependant.