PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - December 22, 2004

skidmark
12-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Christmas 2004

Which gifts would I like to see under my tree this year, and which gifts would I like to leave there for other drivers? That's a tough question if one stops to think about it carefully and honestly. If I could only be so lucky as to have the chance!

For myself, I would like to have the patience to always deal with drivers politely and respectfully when they are anything but that at the side of the road. I know that it is impossible to leave everyone with a smile on their face, but it would be nice to at least have them understand that what happened was a consequence of their behaviour. If I could have this, then the next person I deal with wouldn't face a grumpy constable either!

For others, I would also like to give the gift of patience. I see so many drivers today who seem to say "I'm important, you are not. I'm in a hurry, get out of my way!" with their driving. Our highways must be shared equally in order to be safe. Driving is a partnership, not a contest.

As I write this, I am a bit surprised that I have chosen the same gifts for everyone. Should I be? It seems lately that I am often considering that I am in too much of a hurry or feeling pressed for time. Are those extra seconds I save by taking a risk or being tempted to drive too fast worth the safety of myself and the others I am sharing the road with? Almost always, the answer is no. I can choose for myself, but I cannot choose for others, so I must choose safety for us all.

On behalf of Vancouver Island Traffic Services, may I wish you all a safe and patient holiday season.

Tyler883
12-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Did you hear the one about a red neck that gets pulled over by a police officer?

Officer" Do you have any idea why I'm pulling you over, sir?"

red neck" Yup! U're an AZZhole!"

Sorry Skidmark, I just had too tell this joke. I'm not implying anything about you. For the record, I find that you have been really good with everyone on this thread, including myself.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!(except for those that are offended by me saying this- ie I'm not wishing you a merry christmas, so please don't be offended- LOL)

skidmark
12-24-2004, 01:57 PM
It's not a joke. It happens every now an again every day in some form at the side of the road.

I'm always amazed at the number of drivers who feel that being dealt with for their bad driving is in some way my fault.

"Merry Christmas" in an uncomplimentary tone of voice is the most common at this time of year.

fast95pony
12-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Have a safe holiday , skidmark.For every drunk you pull off the road, I salute you , sir ! :thumbsup:

Alan

skidmark
12-25-2004, 05:43 PM
I only got one this month, but then again, I only worked until the 7th and one day on the 20th for court.

However, I've been called in 3 times to do breath tests totalling 7 drivers and all blew over. One lady managed a 300 reading, and given her symptoms it's pretty clear she's an alcoholic.