PDA

View Full Version : Cold makes subs explode!

DragonNOA1
12-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Living in the midwest, and with most ppl here in Canada, does playing your subs in freezing temps damage them? Do they have a shorter life span? Anything to be aware of? TIA

CIVIC_MAN
12-24-2004, 06:50 PM
word on the street is that poundin ur subs when they're cold may end up crackin the rubber

doublepostwhore
12-24-2004, 06:50 PM
They dont "explode" but you do need to warm them up before you start to let them thump, that and heat our interiour air s much as possible before really using your subs, becasue tehn your enclosures ight crack, or split due to the vibration, also, your glass be cognaissent of the fact its cold, so earth rumbling is not really that good either.

7thgenvic
12-24-2004, 07:19 PM
it really depends on how cold your car is when you start it! if you've let your car sit overnite and its still freezing in the morning, i would think about cranking them! nor do i even like loud subs anymore!!

ooo ya my 2 12" type r's are on sale in the marketplace section!!
and they've never seen a cold nite!

-jonny

BumpinTalon
12-24-2004, 07:22 PM
subs won't make any noise when they are cold, the amp won't make much power, and nothing much will happen. you'd have to really be crankin it for them to blow. i cranked my PG Xmaxs and Titaniums (both 12" in a ported box) and they didn't blow no matter how frozen they were.

ca2p3r
12-24-2004, 07:50 PM
my subs sound put shity sound out when they are cold...

youngbex
12-29-2004, 02:55 PM
all that will happen is a craked cone.

cressida_pimpin
01-02-2005, 02:08 AM
fuck i just got some alpine sws1242 and they blew the same day i installed them. the sub started to make a cracking noise and the voice coil came right off. i talked to the guy at a and b sound and he was like wtf? so if u have sws1242 then done play them in the cold. better yet dont play them at all

alpha
01-02-2005, 02:18 AM
I disagree with bumpin_talons comment, when I was 16 and thought subs were the shit I used to crank my system no matter the temp and it was always loud. in fact amplifiers are more efficient in the cold, as with anything that uses transistors.

but.... getting to the original question, yes cranking subs when its -25 out isnt good for anything. when the suspension of a speaker gets cold, especially rubber and rubber like substances, it gets stiff, and forcing it to move rapidly without any warm up will lead to premature wear.

your best bet is to play everything on low until your cab is warmed up, and then gradually turn it up. hope that helped.

rahim
01-02-2005, 03:09 PM
:werd: amps still make full power in the cold, I got the blown fuses to prove it

rice_eater
01-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by alpha
I disagree with bumpin_talons comment, when I was 16 and thought subs were the shit I used to crank my system no matter the temp and it was always loud. in fact amplifiers are more efficient in the cold, as with anything that uses transistors.

but.... getting to the original question, yes cranking subs when its -25 out isnt good for anything. when the suspension of a speaker gets cold, especially rubber and rubber like substances, it gets stiff, and forcing it to move rapidly without any warm up will lead to premature wear.

your best bet is to play everything on low until your cab is warmed up, and then gradually turn it up. hope that helped.

yeah the electronics work better, but the physical parts break. rubber/whatever foam they use isnt that flexible when cold. that's actually what happened to my first sub

A790
01-03-2005, 01:22 PM
In -25 weather, if you turn em on and just blast em, you run a good chance of damaging them.