PDA

View Full Version : Need some info.... New BMW Owner...

ajax
12-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I bought a 1989 BMW 535i 2 months ago in Japan.... It is on its way to Calgary from New West.... Would the coolant that is in it be good enough for the delivery into Calgary (Mid-Jan). Since it's coming from Japan do I have to worry about the thing cracking a block or head, because of the cold? (Improper coolant for the cold?) I am thinking of picking it up on a flat-deck truck and flushing the oil / coolant etc, before driving it? Or should I get someone in Vancouver to flush it out before it get on to the truck / train? Or should I just drive the thing home and not worry about it?

any suggestions help would be great..

m10-power
12-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Just wondering but why would you buy a BMW 535i from Japan to have here???

I can sort of understand some cars that we don't get here, but that whole RHD to me is just retarded. I couldn't imagine attempting to pass on a single lane highway...

Akagi Redsuns
12-26-2004, 01:01 AM
totally unrelated but I have to ask..........

for all the interesting and unique cars you could have picked up in Japan (Ciefro, Soarer, Skyline, Silvia, SW20, Chaser, Fairlady Z....etc), you decided on a BMW 535??

In any case, if you look at the geographical region of Japan, they are pretty north as well and is subject to the same range of temperatures, so one would assume that the coolant would also be suited for these temperatures. Maybe you can get someone in Vancouver use a coolant tester and see what it's protected to? If it's acceptable, then wait until it's in Calgary and avoid the hassles of changing it out in Vancouver. Replace the coolant along with the all the other fluids and have a fresh start with the car when it arrives.

ajax
01-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
Just wondering but why would you buy a BMW 535i from Japan to have here???

I can sort of understand some cars that we don't get here, but that whole RHD to me is just retarded. I couldn't imagine attempting to pass on a single lane highway...

The car I purchased is a LHD European Model. And it has 29,000 original km on the car.... oh and I bought it for $6000 CDN...