PDA

View Full Version : Damn, ALMOST got hit...question

Seks
12-26-2004, 07:27 PM
I was in a left turning lane, with a car infront of me also wanting to turn left. He was already in the intersection while I was behind him. The front edge of my car is clearly over the solid line and in the intersection. Light turns amber, car infront of me started going 1/2 sec before the light turns red. At this point, of course I was thinking it's safe to proceed since the car infront of me is consider the "dummy" or "lead" vehicle and he was already on his way. As I started to proceed, I started to notice and realize at that point that there was an oncoming car in the inside lane that was having trouble stopping At that instant, I was like FUCK, I was preparing to get smacked and I thought to myself that this is going to hurt REAL bad. I floored the heck out of my car, praying that my blizzaks will catch onto the icy road surface and give me some grip. All I can hear are my tires spinning but at the same time my car was inching bit by bit. I guess I got LUCKY because the oncoming car zoomed by me, probably missing just by mere inches from my rear right bumper. By then, I was shitting my pants, stopped my car on the side of the road to make sure the car didn't clip me. I didn't see anything.

So in that scenario, if I did get hit, would it be my fault since I didn't yield properly?

T5Bird
12-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes. My boss was in an accident recently under the same scenario, and although the broad who hit hime blatently ran the light, he was at fault.

Mckenzie
12-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Yeah you are supposed to wait until the intersection is clear. The ticket is usually Failing to Make a Safe Left Turn.

googe
12-26-2004, 09:33 PM
for future reference, DONT pin it if you want your tires to catch and give you any traction at all...

Maxt
12-26-2004, 10:03 PM
On a turn lane, rule is one car in the intersection at a time, IIRC..

max_boost
12-27-2004, 02:20 AM
I would have just waited for the next set of lights, given these road conditions......

To answer your question, my uncle got a ticket and it was an at fault claim.

Glenn 328is
12-28-2004, 01:41 AM
I am not sure. This guy coming thru was apparently going way too fast for the conditions and most likely ran the red light - since you already were past the line after it turned amber?

kenny
12-28-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Glenn 328is
I am not sure. This guy coming thru was apparently going way too fast for the conditions and most likely ran the red light - since you already were past the line after it turned amber?

Doesn't matter. The person turning is always at fault in this situation. Not that I have any experience in the matter.... ;)