PDA

View Full Version : where to get write offs?

bksze
12-11-2002, 02:20 AM
do you guys know where i can go to look at insurance write offs? or auctions where i can pick up shell cars??? i'm looking to pick up a cheap car to start as a new project . . . but not sure where to look, the majority of the car won't be used so mileage, condition, rust is not an issue . . . i just want to see if it's going to be cheap enough to make it worthwhile . . . thanks

buh_buh
12-11-2002, 02:24 AM
the one I took my car to is off 17th ave. S.E. by the industrial area. So if your going towards the south from forest lawn its right before that bridge that leads to ogden road.

So the car sits there, and people can come look at it, and bid on it, then the highest bidder gets it.
There were actually some cars in pretty good condition there (from what I could tell). I'll try to find out what its called.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
12-11-2002, 04:43 AM
Is'nt it called Regal Auctions or somthing ?

RickDaTuner
12-11-2002, 09:47 AM
haha wanna buy my car, its basically a write off

Troy
12-11-2002, 10:08 AM
is there one in edmonton?

legendboy
12-11-2002, 10:27 AM
It won't be worth your time. There are tons of guys thats all they do is buy them, do a hack job fix up, recertify and resell. They pay big dollars for the writeoffs because they fix them themselves. The hondas, bmws..etc.. go for alot more than you think.

bksze
12-11-2002, 12:38 PM
thx for the replies, i've heard that writeoffs are selling alot higher than they should be, due to the high demand for cars that "look" nice rather than checking up on how well it performs, that being the case, i'd still like to take a look, reason being, a friend of mine bought a 97 teg for $2000, came with a shell and wheels haha, no engine, interior all fuked up and seats all ripped, didn't matter, he was making a show car out of it anyways, problem was, he got it in Sask so i figured i'd ask if there was anything like that out here

shadowz
12-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Its actually the Calgary Salvage Yard

Weapon_R
12-11-2002, 01:55 PM
There are tons of places. The best one is at McKnight and 36 St. NE. I can't remember what it's called right now. You can get decent cars there for pretty cheap but to make money you need to know both a cheap mechanic and a cheap autobody man.