PDA

View Full Version : How many people wear a Workout Belt

gggunit
12-28-2004, 05:24 PM
I only wear mine when doing squats and dead lifts.. but I see people wearing them all the time.. should I be wearing mine all the time? the only reason I started wearing it was this guy told me he got an hernia :eek: most likely while doing squats.

badseed
12-28-2004, 05:36 PM
I would encourage people not to use belts because you will eventually depend on them and will not develop the muscles used to maintain form during these types of exercises. If you develop a dependency on them it is possible you could suffer an injury in the event you don't use it one day. It is not necessary to use belts while performing squats and deadlifts, if your form is proper than you got nothing to worry about. By the way Hernia's are not caused by the absence of a weight belt, alot of the time they are a result of the Valsalva manuever and excess intrabdominal pressure, but that's another topic.

hockeybronx
12-29-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by gggunit
the only reason I started wearing it was this guy told me he got an hernia :eek: most likely while doing squats.

From what I've learned, Hernias are commonly caused by improper form or technique during lifting low loads causing a herniated disc. Lifting too quickly or in short sudden rushed movements will cause that.

I have also heard that proper breathing is a good way to prevent a hernia. Breathing in while you bend down and then breathing out while you lift can ease the tension and strain on your muscles nourishing them with oxygen rich blood.

r7
12-30-2004, 01:19 PM
no you dont wear it all the time , it makes u weak

how much # do you squat and deadlift

Singel
01-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by r7

how much # do you squat and deadlift

:whocares:

JordanLotoski
01-10-2005, 12:31 AM
belts do nothing...its all in your head

lint
01-10-2005, 01:19 AM
I used to wear a belt for squats and deadlifts, but I found that it did more harm than good. The reason being, I found when I was wearing a belt, I would push my abs out against the belt in order to feel the support. Whereas without the belt, you stabilize by holding your abs in tight to support your body. I found the best thing to do was just start low, work on good form, develop your abs and you wont need a belt.

You just see too many guys in the gym, slap on a belt, wrap their knees, and squat with crap form. All they do is grunt alot.

Wildcat
01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
i have a small case of scholiosis (curved spine) and a family history of back problems so i wear a belt all the time to help straighten out my body and support it while lifting alot.

bspot
01-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

From what I've learned, Hernias are commonly caused by improper form or technique during lifting low loads causing a herniated disc.

Hernia != Herniated disc, although both suck balls.

A herniated disc is a messed up back, a hernia is an opening in something that shouldn't have an opening. Lots of types of hernias, the ones people refer to for lifting occur in the groin area usually.