PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a 328is. How does this one look?

BigMass
12-28-2004, 11:11 PM
http://www.buysell.com/vimages/calgary/photo/3050IO0010.jpg
98 BMW 328is, great, loaded, 328IS htd lthr, alloy wh, sunroof, 6 disc player, wtr & sum tires, $17,900 obo, Tel: 403-270-0139

This car was in the auto trader for 2 weeks and the add said it had around 90,000-100,000km on it i forget exactly.

Anything you guys recommend i ask the owner about the car? Where should i take it to get inspected?(dealership?) Any problems that this car may have that is common to this model and year?

Thanks. Im looking forward to getting back into a BMW and my budget is around $20,000. If you know of anyone other good BMW in that range (looking for a 6cyl with sports suspension) let me know. Thanks.

Kartelli
12-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Take your time looking... my relatives purchased a 2001 528i for 25000 with 40xxx kms on it from a dealership. The car is a beauty, not beaten on and Ive driven it myself.

Im sure you can get a 328 for cheaper especially if its a 98.

just my 2 cents

Ben
12-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Seem like decent cars, the usual BMW quirks. Hope it's not an Autotragic.

benyl
12-29-2004, 12:40 AM
You won't find a V6 BMW anywhere.

I would spend some time on the BMW boards to find out the quirks. I remember reading about suspension bushings and such.

For $20,000, I am sure you can find something with less kms.

Kaos
12-29-2004, 01:44 AM
That is honestly a good price for the yr.
The picture really doesnt say much (Not really clear).
Take it for a ride.

bol
12-29-2004, 01:45 AM
I've got a '98 328is that I just bought a few months ago and I think $18k is a great price. I paid more for mine... I don't know why people think it's a high price because you're not going to find one for less in good condition. There are a few around town for 16k but they are accident rebuilds.

There are not too many major problems with the 328's... the radiator tanks crack, suspension bushings need replacements(true of *ALL* BMW's) especially the rear shock mounts. All of which are cheap fixes. It's best to get an inspection if you don't know what you're looking for but keep in mind an inspection doesn't reveal everything.

statick
12-29-2004, 07:41 AM
i would reccomend inspecting at a dealer. they always point out every little thing wrong with it and you can use that to ur advantage when negotiating (and after u purchase you can get the stuff that actually needs to be done, at another garage for cheaper.)

Glenn 328is
12-29-2004, 09:40 AM
That is a surprisingly great price for a 98. You will not get one cheaper. An average price is like 20-22k.

I agree about taking it to a dealer for an inspection. Get the brakes checked - both rotors and pads will probably need changing. Also, check the electrical wires that you can see when opening the trunk (the ones on the upper lip) that is a constant problem with E36s.

Run a carfax on it for sure.

It is a pretty rare car, is a great car for modifications, is quite fast and is an awesome highway car. :thumbsup:

BigMass
12-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll go check it out and run a carfax on it. How do you guys usually handle getting a used car inspected?

Dealers seem to always be busy. If i could take the car and they would inspect it right away it would be fine, but it seems like if i would have to leave it for 2 days i dont know if the owner would be up for it. What is the usual procedure for this?

Thanks

FiveFreshFish
12-30-2004, 06:29 AM
Make an appointment with the dealer or with an independent BMW mechanic. It shouldn't take more than half a day to do a complete inspection with compression test.

You can ask the owner to take the car down for the inspection. If you're paying for the inspection, the mechanic should hold the report for you or fax it to you.

KGB
12-30-2004, 03:09 PM
I think (not sure) that 328's have like 3 or 4 oxygen/exaust sensors that may need changing soon as opposed to 325's which only have one. might want to check into that as well, windows may give u some problems as they are a bit complicated.

Glenn 328is
12-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by KGB
I think (not sure) that 328's have like 3 or 4 oxygen/exaust sensors that may need changing soon as opposed to 325's which only have one. might want to check into that as well, windows may give u some problems as they are a bit complicated.

Not sure what you mean about the windows - but there is no problem with mine. :dunno:

2.8L OBDII cars have 4 O2 sensors. No problem to change - maybe like 4-500$....

bol
12-31-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by KGB

How is that an issue?

It's called technology.

and I've never heard of any problems with windows in these cars...

FiveFreshFish
12-31-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by bol
and I've never heard of any problems with windows in these cars...

There have been occasional problems with the coupe side windows because of the "sealing" feature that drops the frameless glass a few mm as soon as the door handle is pulled.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293423

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242844

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241743

C4S
12-31-2004, 02:06 AM
I think that is a good price .. if it is local car, with service record .. and not an accident car ... :thumbsup:

and form one of the post .. a 2001 528 ? if you can find such a car .. I will eat it .. lol .. :rofl:

It is either an earlier model .. or it is an 525 .. however, if a 2000/2001 5 series for $25k .. either it is a steal .. or an accident car .. :dunno:

You probaby won't find any better qulity, reliable, and fun car for $18K ! late E36 is super reliable and more fun then E46.

:)

KGB
12-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

There have been occasional problems with the coupe side windows because of the "sealing" feature that drops the frameless glass a few mm as soon as the door handle is pulled.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293423

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242844

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241743

Thats what i meant the coupe side windows always drop a few mm when u open the door and go up again when u close the door (not sure about 4dr), when the car is new ther is no problem but after several years it wears down i understand he is not buying a new bmw. Seals break down, try to take the car through touchles carwash see if water leaks in mine did that. Its Called technology when new but inconveniace when old.

bol
01-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Only problems i've ever had with the coupe drop-down windows(and i've owned a few BMWs with them) is that in the winter when it's really cold and snowing they have frozen up on me.

KGB
01-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Every car has its quirks, all in all BMW's are awesome cars to drivehttp://www.maxbimmer.com/wasaga2004/Picture%20101.jpg :drool:

FiveFreshFish
01-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by KGB
Thats what i meant the coupe side windows always drop a few mm when u open the door and go up again when u close the door (not sure about 4dr)

Sedans don't have frameless glass so it's not an issue.

BMDUBS
01-02-2005, 05:06 PM
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e36/5613673-1.html

Follow this link, a comprehensive list written by some cranky asshole that outlines common E36 problems and what to look for.

Also, I just recently bought an E36 and was less than enthused by the Calgary BMW inspectionj report. I felt it was rushed and as it was the second inspection I had done on the car, (1st was independant) I felt they missed a few key problems. I do not recommend them. Sheni's Auto Trend and Rayburn Motors are 2 places I would recommend for inspecions.

Good Luck

Glenn 328is
01-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Did you end up taking it for a test drive?

BigMass
01-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Glenn 328is
Did you end up taking it for a test drive?

No i have not. I have been really busy. Im still looking. I'm kind of partial to a 328 with the M-Sports package. I found one with 70,000kms on it for 24000. I like Bols BMW but after some thought im after something with a little less KMs on it. Under 100,000.

This is the one im looking at right now. http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?adID=3558554

Glenn 328is
01-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Don't be afraid on one with a little higher mileage. Mine has 137000+ and it runs like new.

Plus his has a new clutch and some added bits that make it unique.

Oh wait - I still would like his bumper....:D

BigMass
01-15-2005, 05:17 PM
His car is great and im not afraid of one with 138kkm on it like his. Im sure it runs perfect. The thing is i really dont like switching cars often so i want one that is low milage so that i get more years out of it. I put on around 10,000km per year on my car so if i get one with 70,000 on it it would take around 6 years before i get it up to the milage Bol has on his. Thats the point. And im sure it will run fine

bol
01-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Glenn 328is
Don't be afraid on one with a little higher mileage. Mine has 137000+ and it runs like new.

Plus his has a new clutch and some added bits that make it unique.

Oh wait - I still would like his bumper....:D

Haha.... PM me with an offer in trade for your stock bumper... We can probably work out a deal.

I love my car and wouldn't sell it if I didn't realize importing a car was easier than I originally thought.

It's shoe time!

FiveFreshFish
01-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by bol
It's shoe time!

Congrats! What year?

BTW, check out this link: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/ronstygar.html

bol
01-16-2005, 01:51 AM

Congrats! What year?

BTW, check out this link: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/ronstygar.html

I haven't bought one yet but there are a few I am looking at . The one I was going to buy.... well lets just say the inspection came up with some very unflattering things.

Ron is awesome. Him and a bunch of other guys on Bimmerfest have posted enough how-to's and pictures of working on these cars that the only reason I would take the car to get serviced elsewhere is because I don't have the tools!

CBRComet
01-16-2005, 04:59 AM
hey bol and glenn, do either of you guys need e36 fog lights?

i noticed in the pic it looks like they are missing?

i have a pair in mint cond.

bol
01-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by CBRComet

The foglights aren't in my M3 bumper because they didn't look "right" in there. I think there is some black plastic ring that has to go around the lights to fill in a gap betwen them and the bumper. I haven't been able to find them yet(I also haven't looked very hard.)

Glenn 328is
01-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by CBRComet

Where were you a few months ago? I had mine stolen and I purchased some from a guy in New Mex...

FiveFreshFish
01-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by bol
I haven't bought one yet but there are a few I am looking at .

M Coupe with the S54! :drool:

bol
01-16-2005, 03:59 PM

M Coupe with the S54! :drool:

:D

More than I an afford though. I'll be getting an S52

benyl
01-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Isn't the S54 the problematic one that puts M3s on the side of the road?

bol
01-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Isn't the S54 the problematic one that puts M3s on the side of the road?

Yeah, but statistically speaking the M Coupes with the S54 have had VERY few problems in comparison. They make less power(more restrictive intake and exhaust.)

BMW will honour an engine/bearing replacement if you can prove via oil anaylis that they are breaking down.