PDA

View Full Version : Athena Point 5 MIKII SE Speaker System

project240
12-29-2004, 02:13 AM
Hey Guys,

I know there are some audio guys as well as future shop guys on here, so I'm hoping someone can help me out a little bit. Right now future shop has this Athena surround sound set on sale... Regular $999 on sale for $399
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10055147&catid=14700&atab=4&spviewed=&logon=&langid=EN&dept=10
Anybody heard these before... how's the quality? These speakers would be used in a second theatre room, so they don't have to be amazing quality, just want something that sounds good. Great price on them, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
project240

badseed
12-29-2004, 02:29 AM
Athena is not a high end speaker brand as you prolly already know. I've listened to Athena speakers before and they sound pretty decent for the price. 4 Bills sounds like a good deal but there defeintely not worth a G at regular price. I would definetly shop around and see what else you could get for 4 hunj. Maybe go the seperate component route there's tonnes of shit on sale right now being boxing month. You might pay a little more but it may be worth it.

Xtrema
12-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Sub is utter crap. Don't know about the speakers tho.

Their Audition line is pretty good but seem like this line is one below it.

But keep in mind that they could get rid of these for $499 on boxing day and reduce to $399 this week. Usually when decent hardware goes on sale, audiophiles will clear the stock pretty quick (like the Athena ASB2 and HK receivers last month).

BTW, it just went back up to $499, must be a pricing mistake.

Ajay
12-29-2004, 12:08 PM
The HK AVR 130? I saw that on the website on XMAS day for $299.99 and I knew I shoulda bought it then. Went into the store on Monday and it was up to $450. Dude said it must have been a doorcrasher cause that's an insane price and he had no idea about them selling the HK for that price.

Xtrema
12-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
The HK AVR 130? I saw that on the website on XMAS day for $299.99 and I knew I shoulda bought it then. Went into the store on Monday and it was up to $450. Dude said it must have been a doorcrasher cause that's an insane price and he had no idea about them selling the HK for that price.

HK AVR 130 is decent but it's a last year model with only 5.1 setup. New AVR 135 that replaces it is a 6.1 system (hand me down from last year's AVR230). Unforturnately FS don't bargain. $300 is cheaper than cost+shipping if you buy from HK direct.

$300 is awesome price for a HK but there are many competitors in this price range that offers more. Buying AVR130 is almost like buying a BMW 318i, you're just getting it because of the badge.