PDA

View Full Version : Command Start problems

pmod
12-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi All:

I have an older Command Start installed in my vehicle ('92 Nissan Sentra), and have been experiencing difficulties with it over that last year or so. When I press the remote button to activate the starter, the console in the vehicle lights up, you can hear the fan start, the headlights flicker on, but the process is stopped there. Just before it would normally start the ignition, it simply powers off. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what the problem might be?

It might be important to note that the technician who installed this unit in my vehicle was not able to hook up the unit for door lock activation/de-activation -- only for starting the vehicle.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Strugari
12-29-2004, 01:13 PM
I would check the ground, Power, Fuses, and then the wiring to make sure it is not a bad connection somewhere.

The Starter wire from the command start should be Orange. Check to make sure it is connected properly.

Command Start brand of starters have onboards relays. The starter relay may not be working. If this is the case, you would have to change the unit.

pmod
12-29-2004, 02:56 PM
Hello:

Thanks kindly for the reply! I, unfortunately, did not get a copy of the manual that came with the unit. Are the wiring and fuses all connected within the steering column? Or are these connections to be checked on the "brainbox"? If it's at the unit, where would it typically be mounted?

Thanks again!

Strugari
12-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Usually the unit is mounted under the driver side dash.

You can check the connections at the unit.
Using a test light check for the following.

9 Pin Harness:

Green = Ground
Brown = Hood Switch
White = Tach Signal
Red & Red Black = 12V Power
Blue = Ignition
Black = Accessory
Orange = Starter
Purple = Parklights

Smaller Harness:

Red = On/Off switch (ground)
Black = Brake Switch (12V when brake pedal pushed)

That should get you started (no pun intended:nut: )