PDA

View Full Version : Cold Heat Tool

Tegger69
12-29-2004, 01:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone on this board have any experience with the Cold Heat Soldering tool.

Cold Heat tool (https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/coldheat/coldheat/115261/)

pyro
12-29-2004, 02:13 PM
i went to go buy it and everywhere in calgary was sold out so they must be pretty good

civicsi
12-29-2004, 02:17 PM
biggest POS ever dont waste your money. i returned mine 10 min after i opened it.

Tegger69
12-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanx man. I kind of thought it might be crap.

finboy
12-30-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by civicsi
biggest POS ever dont waste your money. i returned mine 10 min after i opened it.

why is it so crappy?

civicsi
12-30-2004, 01:20 AM
Basically it doesnt work, couldnt even get 2 wires to solder. When i returned it to crappy tire the lady asked if anything was wrong with it, i said i wasnt sure if it was the particular one i picked up or the product itself sucked. Her reply was well we've had alot of these returned so it must not be very good. :rofl:

pyro
12-30-2004, 02:19 PM
jeez that sux that they dont work its a good idea though, when i went to crappy tire the guy told me that they worked amazing and that no one has returned one yet and that he was all out of stock cause there is such a high demand

redx2nv
12-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Youd have to be a idiot to buy one, how about dont touch the tip with your fingers when soldering. Worked fine for me for the last 5 years.

https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/templates/coldheat/coldheat/images/price_02.gif
WOW, they even give you the crappy tripping tool. Throw that pos in the garbage after a few trys.

RickDaTuner
12-30-2004, 03:04 PM
huh when i read this i thought you were gonna ask abou the diagnostic tool used to make sensors hot and cold... gues not...

had me going for a few seconds...

pyro
12-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by redx2nv
Youd have to be a idiot to buy one, how about dont touch the tip with your fingers when soldering. Worked fine for me for the last 5 years.

its just nice to have one that u dont have to plug in and when your trying to solder wires like in a car its nice to know that ur not going to burn anything if u accidently hit something with it. has anyone used the paste stuff that u just place on the wires and then heat it up with a lighter

RickDaTuner
12-30-2004, 04:52 PM
you mean FLux? shouldnt you be using soldering flux every time your solder wires? pulls the Solder into the wrire core does it not?

redx2nv
12-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Flux core solder, no need to add extra paste on it.

Its a paint to plug in, i know. But, you will never get the same quality job that you would with a good 'ol soldering iron.

ex1z7
12-31-2004, 05:59 AM
"It heats up and cools down in seconds so you don't burn yourself ! " *sticks hand on tip* ... I wish one would malfunction and someone stick their hand on it and get burned, just for being a moron.

I was looking at buying one for doing some soldering on some stuff that isn't that close to a power plug.. just so I don't have to use an extension cord, but if it sucks ....

schmooot
12-31-2004, 12:18 PM
I have one too, very hard to make a connection in the car when doing stereo stuff. It just sparked and the two lights would flicker and it would never make a connection long enough to actually solder. Then I broke the tip, then I went and got my plug-in one and finished the entire job. It's not very practical because of the large surface area that has to contact, thats why most ironbs have a point. Maybe I'll give it another try when its warmer out and I am not freezing my ass off

TurboMedic
01-02-2005, 05:38 PM
You are far better off spending some bigger bux and buying a butane soldering iron, I bought a snap-on one, small, portable, heats like a motherfucker, and lifetime warranty (had mine replaced no questions asked!)...Sure it cost about 80 clams, but its the best! And buy flux core solder, works great....

Weapon_R
01-02-2005, 05:42 PM
To all of those looking for a portable one that doesn't have to plug in: There are butane powered soldering irons that cost about 30-40 dollars and do an incredible job.

They are smaller than that Cold Heat Tool, burn hotter and probably work just as well as a plug in iron.

DannyO
01-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Glad I saw this thread, was looking at this tool, but will now look at the standard ones or these butane ones,

Davetronz
01-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
Glad I saw this thread, was looking at this tool, but will now look at the standard ones or these butane ones,
Unless you need a portable soldering iron (for quick onsite jobs or places you might not have power) DO NOT buy a butane iron.

Butane is VERY hard to set a definate soldering temperature.

I have done soldering courses and that is always the recommendation. Get a regular plug in pen iron or a larger gun type iron for larger jobs.

If you want to get a good iron, check out Active Component across from the old Princess Auto in the NE.

DannyO
01-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318

Unless you need a portable soldering iron (for quick onsite jobs or places you might not have power) DO NOT buy a butane iron.

Butane is VERY hard to set a definate soldering temperature.

I have done soldering courses and that is always the recommendation. Get a regular plug in pen iron or a larger gun type iron for larger jobs.

If you want to get a good iron, check out Active Component across from the old Princess Auto in the NE.

Cheers man, glad I checked back, I think I'll just get a regular one now, maybe one with a changeable tip.

Davetronz
01-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by DannyO

Cheers man, glad I checked back, I think I'll just get a regular one now, maybe one with a changeable tip.
Changable tip is important too.
Having different tip sizes make working on small and large projects quite easy.
Also more expensive irons will have parts which can be replaced if they become defective or worn out.

TurboMedic
01-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Butane is adjustable, maybe not the cheap ones, but I can regulate temp pretty good with mine, and will never look back...

schmooot
01-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318

Get a regular plug in pen iron or a larger gun type iron for larger jobs.

the only problem I have with the gun type ones is they have a built in cycle, couple minutes on, couple minutes off sort of thing. I like the basic pen one, I have a $12 one from radio shack and it has served me well for a few years already.

gongSHOW
01-03-2005, 11:21 PM
the cold heat soldering iron is a POS, tried one, can't even melt standard rosin core solder, and the tip is incredibly fragile. Butane torches are way too hot for electronal components like RC cars computers etc. usually over 100Ws

Davetronz
01-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
Butane is adjustable, maybe not the cheap ones, but I can regulate temp pretty good with mine, and will never look back...
yea its adjustable, but it does not compensate for heat gain/loss automatically. If you are a soldering veteran and doing fast repair jobs this is the way to go. If you are a n00b and not used to soldering temperatures and melting points of various solder/heat up points of metals go with a traditional iron.

Originally posted by schmooot

the only problem I have with the gun type ones is they have a built in cycle, couple minutes on, couple minutes off sort of thing. I like the basic pen one, I have a $12 one from radio shack and it has served me well for a few years already.
Totally, my gun is the same way, she's an old Weller but is good for LARGE jobs. I typically use it with automotive and household soldering.

Originally posted by gongSHOW
the cold heat soldering iron is a POS, tried one, can't even melt standard rosin core solder, and the tip is incredibly fragile. Butane torches are way too hot for electronal components like RC cars computers etc. usually over 100Ws
Agreed, the butanes are horrible for hobbyists. The only reason I would and have used butane is for onsite repair jobs at clients houses where I dont want to set up a plug in iron or where a plug is inaccessable. They have their strong points but I dont trust them or use they all that frequently.

Zero102
01-04-2005, 01:23 AM
I use a butane soldering iron when installing car stereo's and such, since there's not always a plug handy, or doing road-side electrical repairs, etc. Always served me well, but I would never trust one on anything expensive. Wouldn't use it for more than soldering wires together.

TurboMedic
01-04-2005, 04:22 AM
I've done unthinkable amounts of fine soldering with the butane, and I've installed hundreds of car starters with it, I just remember to change to the appropriate tip....

'93 SR-V
01-05-2005, 10:12 PM
I can’t believe that anybody would feel compelled to buy that thing. That add is so retarded… It’s a great tool for those who are so lazy that they would rather go out and buy this thing then reach for an extension cord… And lets not forget about those people who are always burning themselves because they’re to mentally incapacitated to associate melting metal with high heat… BUT WAIT... look at all of the uses… I mean how often to you find yourself soldering jewelry?