PDA

View Full Version : My whole view on life has changed...

CryoCarnage
12-29-2004, 04:37 PM
So it all started one 10:00 a.m morning while i was driving towards blue Mountain in barrie for some Snowboarding. I was in my Parents Chevy Venture cause i can't fit shit into My celica. The car was from 2003,and it was still on lease. So im on highway 400 going about 100 and there is this stupid bitch in this Black Jeep that decides to try to get infront of me from a complete stop( i was in the right lane). She turns and she floors it. What happens is she spins out, does about two circles. As soon as i saw she wasn't going anywhere, i floor it. ABS kicked in But it didn't do shit. I was on Black ice. So i hit her front right side at 100 KM/h and Luckily we start sliding more to the right side. We almost are next to a girder, and then a Brand New Ford F-150 rear ends me. We slide hard into the girder. Major whiplash. So we were lucky that no one else hit us cause by chance, the girder was right over a bridge. And i was thinking, What would have happened if we went over the bridge or what would have happened if we went into the centre of the highway. Makes you think differentely on life. So anyway with the 30,000 my parents are getting with the van, they decided that since me and my bro have rides, we don't need a van anymore. they're planning to spend a bit more and get a brand new fully loaded WRX STi. Good for them i say, and power to safer driving for all of us.

civicrider
12-29-2004, 04:41 PM
WRX sounds like a good deal:thumbsup:
when i saw the title i thought it was gonna be another hockeybronx going HC god on everyone.

statick
12-29-2004, 04:52 PM
S60 R....awd, 300hp, 6 spd tranny, luxury, reliable.

theken
12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
good to hear you are alright and didnt die

GT2NV
12-29-2004, 05:14 PM
wow that sounds pretty intense, glad to hear your okay

gorillam
12-29-2004, 05:40 PM
good to hear you are okay, but something fishy about your story.

You floored it and the abs didnt catch on????

Abs is for braking, it's not traction control.

Phuqu
12-29-2004, 05:44 PM
ABS was working. That's what it does.

It's still ice after all. ABS or not.

TypeS
12-29-2004, 08:00 PM
he means he floored the brakes dude......;)

DUBBED
12-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Yeah after I drove a blazer into a pole I felt the same way, I didn't get into a car for 4 days. SOOOOO scared.

I probably would have been killed if I didn't hit the pole because the parking meter would have gone through the windsheild and hit me in the head instead of bouncing off when I made impact.

Good to see you're okay. :thumbsup:

Toma
12-29-2004, 08:23 PM
doing a hundred on these roads, and black ice??

You ought to have your licence suspended for 10 years (till you grow a brain), be charged with reckless driving and get the "at fault"

STI.... yeah good choice. so that now you feel safer and try going 120 :rolleyes: on black ice cause you think AWD will make you stop better :banghead:

Ekbusta
12-29-2004, 08:27 PM
toma, the whole point of black ice is you don't know its there :nut:

Toma
12-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Ekbusta
toma, the whole point of black ice is you don't know its there :nut:
Yeah, if you are stupid :poosie:

here's a hint
while i was driving towards blue Mountain in barrie for some Snowboarding.

black ice is never really invisible. You just gotta take your head out of your boyfriends lap, and pay attention :D

SOAB
12-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Yeah, if you are stupid :poosie:

here's a hint

black ice is never really invisible. You just gotta take your head out of your boyfriends lap, and pay attention :D

maybe you should take your head out of your ass and learn to read...

the dumb bitch decided to cut him off from a dead stop.

gorillam
12-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Phuqu
ABS was working. That's what it does.

It's still ice after all. ABS or not.

whatever he still said...

CryoCarnage said...
As soon as i saw she wasn't going anywhere, i floor it. ABS kicked in But it didn't do shit.

like I said abs is for brakes not traction control as in doesnt make sense....

CryoCarnage
12-29-2004, 11:43 PM
100 Kilometres was pretty fine, all the other cars were going 120. Besides the point. And when i braked it, i was rolling at about 50 km/h. It's the truck behind us that was going 120 that really made my Van compact.

CalgaryB5
12-30-2004, 12:01 AM
You were so lucky.

Redlyne_mr2
12-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Blue Mountain definitely isnt worth dying for :rofl:

JordanLotoski
12-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Blue Mountain definitely isnt worth dying for :rofl:

snow valley perhaps

finboy
12-30-2004, 12:26 AM
good to see you are still alive

nice sig ryan :rofl:

AcuraTl
12-30-2004, 12:26 PM
holy shit man, good to see that your alright, that black ice is a killer, i have known to many people that havent survived that shit, thats why i always drive a bit slower in black ice, and if faggots want to over take me, thats fine, usually i see em a few KM up in the ditch, seriously. Anyways post some pics of your chevy venture if ya can.

tirebob
12-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Who says proper winter tires are a waste of time! This just proves that things can come up and bite you in the a$$ when you least expect it... Be prepared for the worst people...

RickDaTuner
12-30-2004, 02:58 PM
STi + some good winter tires = sex on snow

good choice on the car, eventhough bad road conditins are bad for any type of car the STi will make the most of a bad situation and Gorillian when its comes to AWD vs FWD or RWD on a low friction surface AWD will indeed reduce your stoping distance, due to more balanced braking IE the same braking force to bolth the front or the rear, as oppsoed to FWD or RWD where the front tire usally locks up first...
Im not sure why people have drilled in thier heads that 4X4 or AWD will result in the same braking distance, it might be minimal but the difference is surely there

EK 2.0
12-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
STi + some good winter tires = sex on snow

good choice on the car, eventhough bad road conditins are bad for any type of car the STi will make the most of a bad situation and Gorillian when its comes to AWD vs FWD or RWD on a low friction surface AWD will indeed reduce your stoping distance, due to more balanced braking IE the same braking force to bolth the front or the rear, as oppsoed to FWD or RWD where the front tire usally locks up first...
Im not sure why people have drilled in thier heads that 4X4 or AWD will result in the same braking distance, it might be minimal but the difference is surely there

your brake locking up comparo makes no sense to me...

I have an AWD vehicle, with no ABS and the fronts still lock up earlier than the rest of them, and if its very slippery out, the rears first due to weight transfer...

so the braking between AWD, FWD and RWD...they all brake like shit in a low to no traction condition...

finboy
12-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

your brake locking up comparo makes no sense to me...

I have an AWD vehicle, with no ABS and the fronts still lock up earlier than the rest of them, and if its very slippery out, the rears first due to weight transfer...

so the braking between AWD, FWD and RWD...they all brake like shit in a low to no traction condition...
:werd:

RickDaTuner
12-30-2004, 04:58 PM
locked center DIffs like those found on 4X4 and The STi allow for a symentric distribution of power.. my car when in full lock mode will lock all 4 whells at the same time in low traction conditions Vs a AWD with basic LSD or Open Diffs front center and back.. resulting in a flat like stance when stopping since you are no where near the braking forces tha you would reach when on dry or semi dry pavent

you know the old addage.. two heads are better than one..

EK 2.0
12-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
locked center DIffs like those found on 4X4 and The STi allow for a symentric distribution of power.. my car when in full lock mode will lock all 4 whells at the same time in low traction conditions Vs a AWD with basic LSD or Open Diffs front center and back..

I have a locked center diff as well, and have found no difference in the braking performance from when it was an open center diff...

RickDaTuner
12-30-2004, 05:01 PM
i must have some Ultra "braking tek neich" then?? its noticable in my car... :dunno:

finboy
12-30-2004, 07:57 PM
when i hit the brakes, i engage the clutch so there is no power going to any wheels, but maybe thats just me :dunno:

M_Power
12-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by finboy
when i hit the brakes, i engage the clutch so there is no power going to any wheels, but maybe thats just me :dunno:

whenever im driving a manual car i do it
it makes a noticable decrease in stopping distance

Fuji
12-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
So it all started one 10:00 a.m morning while i was driving towards blue Mountain in barrie for some Snowboarding. I was in my Parents Chevy Venture cause i can't fit shit into My celica. The car was from 2003,and it was still on lease. So im on highway 400 going about 100 and there is this stupid bitch in this Black Jeep that decides to try to get infront of me from a complete stop( i was in the right lane). She turns and she floors it. What happens is she spins out, does about two circles. As soon as i saw she wasn't going anywhere, i floor it. ABS kicked in But it didn't do shit. I was on Black ice. So i hit her front right side at 100 KM/h and Luckily we start sliding more to the right side. We almost are next to a girder, and then a Brand New Ford F-150 rear ends me. We slide hard into the girder. Major whiplash. So we were lucky that no one else hit us cause by chance, the girder was right over a bridge. And i was thinking, What would have happened if we went over the bridge or what would have happened if we went into the centre of the highway. Makes you think differentely on life. So anyway with the 30,000 my parents are getting with the van, they decided that since me and my bro have rides, we don't need a van anymore. they're planning to spend a bit more and get a brand new fully loaded WRX STi. Good for them i say, and power to safer driving for all of us.

That sucks to hear. glad you are ok.

Just a note. STi is a great car, but isnt really that much safer ... AWD never would have helped you too much in that situation, let alone stopping on ice in general.

SOAB
12-30-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by M_Power

whenever im driving a manual car i do it
it makes a noticable decrease in stopping distance

uh...the engine braking doesn't help? why do people bother to downshift? braking with engine braking will stop you faster than just brakes alone.

Kamen
12-30-2004, 11:55 PM
Wow you're so lucky man! Glad nothing serious happened! I did the drive up to Blue Mountain last spring and it sucked!

GC84ever
12-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Just for everyone's info: How ABS works (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm)
also ABS doesn't lower your stopping distance, it in fact increases the distance, But it enables you to maintain control of your vehicle by preventing wheels from lock up and you spinning.

AWD & 4WD let you accelerate faster on loose stuff, but decceleration is all about brakes & tires.

Winter tires are worth the money in winter. and the technology for ice is getting better.
But the best thing to use is your brain in your head and drive smart, and not like an idiot (like that girl in your story).

M_Power
12-31-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by SOAB

uh...the engine braking doesn't help? why do people bother to downshift? braking with engine braking will stop you faster than just brakes alone.

engine breaking is just more annoying than normal breaks, and with a quick reaction im gonna hit the breaks rather than engine break.

digitalshogun
12-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by GC84ever
Just for everyone's info: How ABS works (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm)
also ABS doesn't lower your stopping distance, it in fact increases the distance, But it enables you to maintain control of your vehicle by preventing wheels from lock up and you spinning.

AWD & 4WD let you accelerate faster on loose stuff, but decceleration is all about brakes & tires.

Winter tires are worth the money in winter. and the technology for ice is getting better.
But the best thing to use is your brain in your head and drive smart, and not like an idiot (like that girl in your story).

Just to be a total dick.

From the site YOU quoted.

From Howstuffworks website...
... In fact, on slippery surfaces, even professional drivers can't stop as quickly without ABS as an average driver can with ABS.

-and from page two of the same article-

From Howstuffworks website...
... By keeping the wheels from skidding while you slow down, anti-lock brakes benefit you in two ways: You'll stop faster, and you'll be able to steer while you stop.

Funny thing is ... I had heard until I read this article that even better than ABS is "threshold" braking. Where the driver pushes the pedal to the point of locking the wheels but not quite. Now I'm all confused lol. It seems that in a panic situation ABS would be better still just 'cause it takes the awful "thinking" out of the equation.

As for "engine braking" that was mentioned. Isn't that actually "excisve wear on your synchros" braking? ;)

CalgarySS
12-31-2004, 06:59 PM
I am grateful for my experience with winter driving. I grew up in the country and drove from a very young age. I have driven heavy oilfield/ farm vehicles in the most severe winter conditions for my entire life.

I hope that I am fortunate enough to never see a car with a Beyond.ca sticker behind me on icy roads.:eek:

(This was meant to be a harmless and humorous poke at people who have not had the opportunity to drive a great deal in winter conditions. No offense is intended, no animals were harmed in the making of this post)

In all seriousness, those of you who have not spent the time to learn the dynamics of winter driving should not be on the roads. A car is too heavy a projectile to be tossing around without any idea as to its reactions on ice and snow.