PDA

View Full Version : Jobs With Commission

InfiniteJoy
12-30-2004, 02:38 AM
What kind of part time, student friendly, jobs out there involve commission? I'm really awesome with people, and am quite confident I could sell a ton, so I was just wondering. I know about Future Shop, thats about it (except for door to door crap, which I am not interested in)

Thanks in advance.

GTS Jeff
12-30-2004, 02:52 AM
u wont get a commission job at future shop anymore...

look into visions or a&b sound...or maybe some ghetto computer store.

Weapon_R
12-30-2004, 02:54 AM
Soundsaround. That shop only hires hounds to work for them.

EK 2.0
12-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by InfiniteJoy
What kind of part time, student friendly, jobs out there involve commission? I'm really awesome with people, and am quite confident I could sell a ton, so I was just wondering. I know about Future Shop, thats about it (except for door to door crap, which I am not interested in)

Thanks in advance.

hey junior...commission sales are not for every Tom, DICK, or Harry out there...

People skills are a small piece of the commission salesperson pie...and besides good luck finiding a Comm. Sales job right after Jesus' Birthday...that's right when all the low preformers end up getting axed from the various positions after X-Mas...

the skills you listed are those of a good CSR, not a salesperson...do not believe your friends and family if they say you are great in sales...I have seen it a million times...

and please dont dismiss everything I just said...I have been in the game for almost 5 years now...

Davetronz
12-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

hey junior...commission sales are not for every Tom, DICK, or Harry out there...

People skills are a small piece of the commission salesperson pie...and besides good luck finiding a Comm. Sales job right after Jesus' Birthday...that's right when all the low preformers end up getting axed from the various positions after X-Mas...

the skills you listed are those of a good CSR, not a salesperson...do not believe your friends and family if they say you are great in sales...I have seen it a million times...

and please dont dismiss everything I just said...I have been in the game for almost 5 years now...

:werd: Well put... Couldnt have phrased that one better.

Akagi Redsuns
12-30-2004, 11:17 AM
All that analysis from his dinky paragraph. Impressive.

EK 2.0
12-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
All that analysis from his dinky paragraph. Impressive.

plus other posts he has made on here as well...

personality does shine through even on the world wide web man...

Akagi Redsuns
12-30-2004, 11:24 AM

plus other posts he has made on here as well...

personality does shine through even on the world wide web man...

After briefly glancing through his posts, I see where you are coming from.

My comment just stemed from this one post, didn't see the histroy behind the user.

I take back my comment, just ignore it

:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
12-30-2004, 11:25 AM
No worries bro...

DUBBED
12-30-2004, 11:31 AM
As a student myself, I say go get a stress free job. Work at RONA or something, they'll give you $9.00/hour to put boxes back on the shelf. Plus you can call in and say you have mega homework due and they'll give you the night off. One of the best student jobs I've ever had. :thumbsup:

InfiniteJoy
12-30-2004, 12:54 PM
[CycloneAWD]You're a DICK, but please take my post seriously.[CycloneAWD/]

^ hah.

I didn't ask if you thought I was fit for the job, or who to listen to when looking for this advice. I asked what jobs out there work with commission, thanks though :rolleyes: However, I don't want to get into an argument, so if more people could give me some more options, thanks.

DUBBED
12-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Most retail stores have an incentive program, so basically they'll pay you like $6.50/hour for the first three months. After that you get your base salary ($6.50/hour) and an incentive where you have to achieve a rediculous $/hour over the course of a month to get an extra $20-$200 on your paycheck.

GTS Jeff
12-30-2004, 02:24 PM

and please dont dismiss everything I just said...I have been in the game for almost 5 years now... hey good point. this infinitejoy guy cant even manage to keep from being banned repeatedly on some internet forum, just imagine what hes like in real life.

and sales isnt just about being outgoing as as u said...a lot of it is knowing how to read other people and adapt to changing conditions, having strong motivation to do the job, and being able to deal with the stresses of commission sales. i remember actually losing sleep some nights over whether a big sale would get returned or not. that sorta stress can take away from your schooling...

GTS Jeff
12-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
Most retail stores have an incentive program, so basically they'll pay you like $6.50/hour for the first three months. After that you get your base salary ($6.50/hour) and an incentive where you have to achieve a rediculous $/hour over the course of a month to get an extra $20-$200 on your paycheck. :werd: try getting a job as some cell phone geek....theyll pay u a base wage and u make commission on top...

EK 2.0
12-30-2004, 02:31 PM

^ hah.

I didn't ask if you thought I was fit for the job, or who to listen to when looking for this advice. I asked what jobs out there work with commission, thanks though :rolleyes: However, I don't want to get into an argument, so if more people could give me some more options, thanks.

it's not about arguing...but look at the people that have posted in this thread...

so far myself, GTSJeff, and FastDak318 are all in commission sales, or have been in the past. It's not easy, there is a lot of effort and self-motivation involved...

if you don't sell strait up you dont eat, and you have to revert so shady/sleazy tatics to close which in turn offer a higher rate of returns, so its a cycle of not selling again...There is a LOT of stress in the job, the only good time of the year is November thru to January, and after that there is lots of effort and work invovled...your best bet like Jeff had mentioned...be comes a mobile-geek and sell phones...you still get a base pay and earn cash on top of it.

But like I mentioned at the top, good luck to finding a job right after X-Mas...most places are now beginning to axe positions because they don't need the man power anymore...and the heavy-closers are the ones who stay, but even thier jobs are not written in stone. Depending on how dry the after rush can get even our jobs are on the lines if you think about it...

Future Shop paid for my schooling, BUT it was a lot of work on top of my homework...so it's not something you wanna dick around with...

if you are not self-motivated, or are lazy...then find a base paying job...

tirebob
12-30-2004, 04:55 PM
If you want a commision based job, you need to find work in a field where you are knowledgeable. It is a lot easier to sell something that you know about than it is trying to bullshit someone into a purchase. Especially if you sell them something they didn't really want or need.

I guess some companies don't care about this fact, but the question is do you want a one time customer or a lifelong customer. Sure anybody can sell something once, but that guy is worth a lot more over the years because you treated him right...

googe
12-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by CMSbob

I guess some companies don't care about this fact, but the question is do you want a one time customer or a lifelong customer. Sure anybody can sell something once, but that guy is worth a lot more over the years because you treated him right...

So true, so many younger guys that think they are hard sellers cant figure this out. There are a handful of people working for various retailers than even years after the fact I will look for and go straight to for a deal. Look out for yourself and you might get a 1 time sale. Look out for the customer and youll hear from them again, and likely from their friends and family as well :thumbsup:

BebeAphrodite
12-30-2004, 06:01 PM
retail sucks
people expect u to wait on them hand and foot even though you are only being paid $7 plus measly commission

googe
12-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
retail sucks
people expect u to wait on them hand and foot even though you are only being paid $7 plus measly commission

well thats what you were hired to do, isnt it? it doesnt matter what you are being paid, it is your job. work somewhere else if you arent willing to help people.

FiveFreshFish
12-30-2004, 07:00 PM
What about used or new car sales? Do they hire part-time?

dezmarez
12-30-2004, 07:01 PM
i know it probably isnt the best looking job but at sportchek its all commission based..starting at 4.5% for the first three months...most people make around 9 or 10 bucks an hour..and those r the people who dont do anything....if you know what your talking about and are a good B.Ser then you should be able to make $15 or $20 an hour

InfiniteJoy
12-30-2004, 10:17 PM
I have the option of used car salesman, my friend's Dad owns the Chrysler dealership here, but honestly, I wouldn't buy a car from an 18 year old, so I'm not gonna even try.

Pacman
12-31-2004, 01:33 AM
I've been in sales for 13 years......it helpled pay my tuition during university, and it's now my career.....for the time being.

Try and get on with a company that will provide you with some sort of sales training. When I was at Future Shop back in 1991, they had a decent training program. I have heard that Future Shop has made some dramatic changes to it's corporate culture, so they may no longer be a good place to start out with.

I recall that Telus used to have some sort of sales training program, and that you could earn some decent money as a part-time employee making outbound calls.

Getting some sort of formal training will at least teach you the fundamentals of sales, and hopefully increase your chance at closing.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to read some books on sales....it will at least give you a good idea of how the sales process works. Avoid the cheesy "Greatest Salesman in the World" books, and go for ones like Spin Selling (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0070511136/qid=1104478196/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-5359092-2326334?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) or The New Strategic Selling (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0446673463/qid=1104478298/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-5359092-2326334?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). Those 2 books were part of the training program when I worked at Xerox, and "The New Strategic Selling" is used by most pharmaceutical companies to train their sales reps.

BebeAphrodite
12-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by googe

well thats what you were hired to do, isnt it? it doesnt matter what you are being paid, it is your job. work somewhere else if you arent willing to help people.

No it's not.
You're there to be kind, curteous, and knowledgeable.
Whatever else you do beyond that point is optional and not part of the job requirement.
'Waiting on hand and foot' means they expect you to stay half an hour after the store is closed for information (coming in 1 minute before the store is closed to ask a questions instead of coming in on regular store hours or even calling in to ask questions), drive around to other locations to pick up goods to bring it back to the location the customers want by the time they want. Getting yelled at because they are frustrated even when you have nothing to do with what happened.
I've seen other employees get yelled at for things out of their hands not just as my job but all sales jobs. When I'm out shopping people bark orders at others. Just because the person is in retail doesn't mean that they can be yelled at if something goes wrong (unless it really is their fault but then again yelling isn't required).

Retail sucks.

Davetronz
12-31-2004, 01:54 PM

No it's not.
You're there to be kind, curteous, and knowledgeable.
Whatever else you do beyond that point is optional and not part of the job requirement.
'Waiting on hand and foot' means they expect you to stay half an hour after the store is closed for information (coming in 1 minute before the store is closed to ask a questions instead of coming in on regular store hours or even calling in to ask questions), drive around to other locations to pick up goods to bring it back to the location the customers want by the time they want. Getting yelled at because they are frustrated even when you have nothing to do with what happened.
I've seen other employees get yelled at for things out of their hands not just as my job but all sales jobs. When I'm out shopping people bark orders at others. Just because the person is in retail doesn't mean that they can be yelled at if something goes wrong (unless it really is their fault but then again yelling isn't required).

Retail sucks.

I agree with you to an extent, the rest is just the "perks" of the job. Kinda like if you work as a bag boy at the grocery store, sometimes you are gonna end up mopping puke, its not a written part of the job description but it happens.

Retail is a big part of the world, look at how many people have to work retail. It is a major economic driving force. For some the pay can be great but they have to be in the retail mindset.

Sure I hate when people come in at 1min to closing, but as a manager I rally my troops, put a smile on my face and try to get one more sale for my store.

Sure people want discounts, they want specials, they want to be waited on hand and foot but that happens in EVERY industry. Ask any person who has ever worked sucessfully for an employer or any kind and ask them about a time where they have had to go "out of the way" for a customer.

I can tell a lot about people in an interview by asking questions such as:
"Customers are not always pleasurable, tell me about a time you handled a customer who was not necessarily happy. What was the outcome?"
"Tell me about a time when you went out of your way to make sure a customer happy, what was the result?"

"You're there to be kind, curteous, and knowledgeable.
Whatever else you do beyond that point is optional and not part of the job requirement."
Sure this is a big chunk of it, but guys I know who are great sales persons, great leaders and excel in their positions and on their paycheques go over and above this. Those who miss this important point end up quitting after a few months when they realize the only thing they make each month is their $8/hr base wage.

Frankly, and no offense to you, but you dont sound like someone who should be working in retail. I can tell that right from your reply. Am I going to hold it against you? no. Because I know there is something else you might excel in.

B17a
12-31-2004, 01:56 PM

Retail sucks.

I worked in retail commission sales through university and did very well. However from the shark tank I worked in, it was very black or white, you either did well or failed miserably right off the bat and quit.

Aleks
12-31-2004, 02:05 PM
I worked at London Drugs for one year in their Home Theater dept. It was pretty slack and I got paid decent. Nothing too stressful, or painful, but then again it was a low volume place compared to future shop and others.

BebeAphrodite
12-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318
Frankly, and no offense to you, but you dont sound like someone who should be working in retail. I can tell that right from your reply. Am I going to hold it against you? no. Because I know there is something else you might excel in.

I am in retail and it sucks and I know it's not the right area for me. Mind you, I do put in the extra effort because it reflects better on my company. When I drive around meeting customers on my time off to help them, it drives me nuts that they expect it when I don't even need to do it.
I especially love the people who get mad when they come into the store (as you are on your way out and have everything closed but you happen to be there physically still) and won't open for them because everything has already been closed and you get yelled it.
And you can still excel in something you hate. I make the same average pay as all my co-workers.

hahaha
I still think retail sucks tho.

Originally posted by B17a

I worked in retail commission sales through university and did very well. However from the shark tank I worked in, it was very black or white, you either did well or failed miserably right off the bat and quit.

Agreed. That's why I still have this job. The hours are incredibly flexible, work around my school schedule, and there is a lot of time that I have to do my own thing while still working.

TomTom
01-06-2005, 09:58 PM
i work for precision drilling/wireline tech and we get payed a base pay than job ticket bonus, if worked SS and visions before, get a different job unless you want to stay there for awhile and learn alot of stuff and good sales tactics...........

hampstor
01-10-2005, 08:42 PM
you might want to pickup a book called 'how to win customers and keep them for life'. It's required reading for all admin staff where i work and i believe all sales staff have read it as well. Needless to say, when you're doing $300 000 in sales a month as a sales rep you'll be well off.

buy1get3
01-10-2005, 11:10 PM
both r good w/commission at telus you get minimum 9.65 plus 30% comp you will make big bux if ya know ya shit

Euro838
01-11-2005, 12:35 AM
I've always wanted to work in retail but it just doesn't pay the bills. It looks like fun and you get awesome employee discounts! (at some places). If anyone knows of a retail shop that pays $20+/hour and has good employee discounts, sign me up!

DonJuan
01-18-2005, 11:40 AM
^ hah.
Wow, nice display people skills, I was gonna say that I could pass a resume on for you, but have since reconsidered. A simple paragraph of criticizm gets you all hot and bothered? You wouldn't last a day a day doing what I do, much less make commission off of it.

lint
01-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
you might want to pickup a book called 'how to win customers and keep them for life'. It's required reading for all admin staff where i work and i believe all sales staff have read it as well. Needless to say, when you're doing $300 000 in sales a month as a sales rep you'll be well off.

A better book might be "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Dale Carnegie was onto something, and if you're remotely interested in either working with people, or doing sales, this will give you great fundamentals. Not only that, it works well in all aspects of life.