PDA

View Full Version : Gyms in Calgary

Si_FlyGuy
12-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Can anyone swing me a deal on gym memberships in Calgary? Preferrably one that'll allow deadlifts? Not a big deal if not. Much appreciated!

davidI
12-11-2002, 08:47 PM
what gyms don't allow deadlifts???

and sorry I can't cut you a deal on a gym membership but I'd suggest waiting until after new years because they usually try to entice people in...

Si_FlyGuy
12-11-2002, 08:52 PM
I don't think family oriented gyms like Club Fit allow deadlifts because they make a lot of noise....I'm not talking about stiff legged deadlifts.

Hakkola
12-11-2002, 09:07 PM
Hey man, if you find a deal tell me, I don't like goin to MRC cuz I don't know anyone so i don't have a spotter.

mwmhong
12-12-2002, 10:21 AM
I got some '$105-value' weekly guest passes to Golds Gym Northland, if you want some let me know.

It opens on Dec 15th.
Monthly rates NOW are higher than when they had the 'join for 2 years for $25 a month' deal going on a while back.
I don't know if they have any more specials coming up, but if I refer someone who joins, I get prizes and stuff.
Rates might be $30-$40+ a month now :(

U of C is okay, but it's expensive if you're not a student there and it's packed during the peak hours, you can't get on anything good.
They took out a squat rack and replaced it with ANOTHER lousy smith machine, so they only have 2 now and they are often taken up by idiots who do standing bicep curls. Bicep curls? WTF!

I checked out World Health in the basement of North Hill Mall, and the so-called 'fitness consultant' there didn't have a clue what a squat rack/cage was. I had to show her what it was and then she says the smith machine is better for doing squats. LOL!!!
Rates were in the $30-$40/month with X years. They do give you a free week to try things out if you go talk to them.

Maybe go on a 'tour' of all the Calgary gyms and collect free weekly workouts :devil:

Si_FlyGuy
12-12-2002, 10:37 AM
World Health fitness people aren't very good...typically. There're the odd ones who know what they're doing, but most of them don't keep up to date with recent developments. But they should know what a squat/power rack is. The smith machine's good for people with lower back problems, and I prefer it cuz I'm still trying to perfect the squat form, but it ain't better than the squats.

Hehe..I think I'm going to go around collecting free weekly workouts. If I subscribe at Gold's on Northland, I can use it at the other Gold's elsewhere right? I'll let you know if I join them...might as well have someone leech some prizes off them hehe. Too bad Gold's doesn't have a basketball court:(..but oh well....all the places (except for LIndsey Park) with basketball courts have crappy weight rooms anyway.

Gold's is good cuz you don't get people who hog the rack doing situps and ballet style stretches on the olympic bar...hehe.

$105 for how many weeks of passes??

kevie88
12-12-2002, 01:05 PM
I'm at the old Club Fit on Macleod Trail ( now Fitness Express).. I just joined a month ago and haggled a deal with the guy to hook me up with a membership for a one-time fee of $100 and then $20 a month after that. I've been going for about 1.5 months now and I'm really enjoying it.. what a change from my former couch potato lifestyle!

got M
12-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Mt Royal has by far the sickest set up
Also the racks there are very nice:devil:

Hakkola
12-12-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by got M
Mt Royal has by far the sickest set up
Also the racks there are very nice:devil:

I'm with ya on that one, the place is huge though, I don't really know my way around, when do you usually go?

mwmhong
12-13-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by HokusFokus
World Health fitness people aren't very good...typically. There're the odd ones who know what they're doing, but most of them don't keep up to date with recent developments. But they should know what a squat/power rack is. The smith machine's good for people with lower back problems, and I prefer it cuz I'm still trying to perfect the squat form, but it ain't better than the squats.

$105 for how many weeks of passes??

Best way to practice the squat is to actually do it.
Smith machine I think throws your sense of balance out of whack because the movement is much different on smith.

The weekly passes are free, but are 'worth' 7 days*$15/day=$105. They are for first-time visitors only, so I don't think you can use them over and over if you are the same person.

Also, I don't think with Golds you can go to any gym in town with the membership, you can visit other Golds for free (up to XX days per year) if they are greater than 60(???) miles away from your 'home' gym.
So signing up Northland probably means no using the other 2 Golds Gyms in the south and vice-versa :thumbsdow

got M
12-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I'm with ya on that one, the place is huge though, I don't really know my way around, when do you usually go?
Right now
its 12:45 pm
im usually there between 4-7pm 4 or 5 times a week

U?

buh_buh
12-13-2002, 01:50 PM
I like MRC too, but nobody to go with.
I hate working out by myself.

turboMiata
12-13-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong

Best way to practice the squat is to actually do it.
Smith machine I think throws your sense of balance out of whack because the movement is much different on smith.

True. I started learning squats on the smith machine and it gave me a bad pain on my lower back. Since then, I've been using the cage.

Squats are hard to do it properly, I had someone show me how to do it a few times before I had the right form.