PDA

View Full Version : 3-point safety harness vs. 4-point safety harness

Alcorn
12-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I need some enlightenment on safety harnesses.

To me 3-point and 4-point look like they only differ in how the shoulder straps are mounted behind the seats.

Assuming 4-point is a better route for safety how much safer is it?

Is the 3-point or 4-point harder to install or are they typically the same just an extra bolt?

Alcorn
01-02-2005, 12:19 PM
anyone? a little help please?

illeagle
01-02-2005, 12:34 PM
3 points should all ready be installed. They are your factory belts.. 4 point and 5 point are the ones you should look at. the 5 point has the crotch strap, (5th point)... I'm using 4 point seat belts, for driver and passenger. for me they're great. But everytime i give someone a ride, it always has to be re-adjusted. Do not use 4 points if you deliver pizza's, getting in and out with a huge winter coat on SUX...But i have no factory belts, so i have no choice.
if you do get a set, Use them properly.. otherwise you'll do more harm than good.. mine are sorta loose, just so i can reach the stereo. I say the 4 and 5 point belts are only good if you track your car, don't do them to be cool.

GME
01-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Alcorn,

Everything you assumed is correct. Installation is just an extra bolt. I can't comment on the difference in safety between the two, but if you are just driving around town, it isn't a good idea to use a harness at all. Without a roll cage, theroretically if you ever flipped your car on the streets, you'd be much better off if you were using your stock belts, because it allows you the freedom to crawl out of the belt. Harnesses would keep you locked in pretty snugly which would be dangerous in that situation.

It's all in theory though. Hell, you could argue that the harness would stop you from smashing your head from the initial hit that led to a roll over. There's far too many variables to be taken into consideration in an accident. You'll see a lot of people getting a lot of crap from others on the internet for using a harness on the streets though. I say, use at your own discretion.

Alcorn
01-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
3 points should all ready be installed. They are your factory belts.. 4 point and 5 point are the ones you should look at. the 5 point has the crotch strap, (5th point)... I'm using 4 point seat belts, for driver and passenger. for me they're great. But everytime i give someone a ride, it always has to be re-adjusted, do not use 4 points if you deliver pizza's, getting in and out with a huge winter coat on SUX...But i have no factory belts, so i have no choice.
if you do get a set, Use them properly.. otherwise you'll do more harm than good.. mine a sorta loose, just so i can reach the stereo. I say the 4 and 5 point belts are only good if you track your car, don't do them to be cool.

this is what i am refering to as a 3-point safety harness
http://www.dpmotorsport.com/parts/momo/images/harness08-big.jpg

and the 4-point .

http://www.dpmotorsport.com/parts/momo/images/harness07-big.jpg

also i was reading they have snap hook floor mounts aswell as eyebolt floor mounts what are the advantages of either.

Originally posted by GME
Alcorn,

Everything you assumed is correct. Installation is just an extra bolt. I can't comment on the difference in safety between the two, but if you are just driving around town, it isn't a good idea to use a harness at all. Without a roll cage, theroretically if you ever flipped your car on the streets, you'd be much better off if you were using your stock belts, because it allows you the freedom to crawl out of the belt. Harnesses would keep you locked in pretty snugly which would be dangerous in that situation.

It's all in theory though. Hell, you could argue that the harness would stop you from smashing your head from the initial hit that led to a roll over. There's far too many variables to be taken into consideration in an accident. You'll see a lot of people getting a lot of crap from others on the internet for using a harness on the streets though. I say, use at your own discretion.

thanks for the advice, although this is not going to be just a street driven car i am planning on taking it to the track as often as i can. once i have the money i am planning on putting a rollcage in the car.

thanks,
Brett

GME
01-02-2005, 12:57 PM
I guess you could consider stock belts as being 3-point harnesses. But when I think of a harness, you usually think aftermarket:

http://www.sportsparts.com/photos/2inch-3pt-buckle.gif

Honestly, to decide whether you want 3 or 4 point harnesses, I'd base it on how many holes there are in your headrest. If there's one, get the 3 point, if there's two get the 4 point. If you are just using your stock seats, you most likely only have 1 hole, and a 3 point would make the most sense. You want the harness mounted so that the shoulder straps are parallel to your shoulders. If you forced the two straps from a 4 point harness through one hole, chances are, they'll be slanted inwards.

GME
01-02-2005, 01:11 PM
also i was reading they have snap hook floor mounts aswell as eyebolt floor mounts what are the advantages of either.

This is probably just referring to the mechanism the shoulder straps are mounted with. You usually bolt in harnesses using the rear passenger seat belt bolts. You can imagine how badly that restricts access for rear passengers. Standard harnesses are mounted with just a piece of metal with a hole in it. You'd have to undo the bolt to take the harness off. There are snap in mechanisms where the mounting mechanism is a latch, and you can unhook and hook the harness at will. This is much more convenient if you ever plan on having people ride in your backseats.

I don't know why they are called "floor mounts" though. You definitely don't want to mount the shoulder straps anywhere near the floor of your car. Off the top of my head, I don't remember the angle that you should never mount the shoulder straps below. 45 degrees? If you were ever to get in an accident, and your shoulder straps were mounted at a smaller angle, the harness would be pulling downards on you as you moved forward from the impact, and basically compressing your spine downards. VERY dangerous and completely avoidable.

civicrider
01-02-2005, 01:36 PM
i have 4 point belts that i hate them, you cant lean forward to change your music or grab anything. unless your gonna race your car i wouldnt buy them. if you want a pair i would gladly trade mine for a set of stock civic seatbelts.

Alcorn
01-02-2005, 02:26 PM
yes i have heard many things about having the shoulder strps mounted to low behind tyhe seat. i no longer have a rear seat in my 240 took it out because there is no point of it there isn't ebough room for any one of my freinds to sit in it so i ditched it.

now how would i go about mounting the lap belt portion of the safety harness? do i find the proper location to mount it and drill through the car floor and bolt it up using big washer so it wont pull through the metal?

GTS Jeff
01-02-2005, 02:38 PM
im, if u are going to the trouble of using a harness, u might as well go all the way and get a 5 point harness with the crotch strap. the crotch strap will keep your ass from sliding forward and itll also keep the 2 lower straps from riding up..

speedracer
01-02-2005, 02:47 PM
3-point safety harness vs. 4-point safety harness
For what?

Racing:
If you want to join WCMA/ CSCC/ CAC 4 point is the min req.

Street:
Your OEM 3 point lap belt is the safetest. Few folks have installed a 3/4/5/6 point harness that would be considered safe. Spinal compression / loose belt / whiplash / or harness coming off due to incorrect instalation would be a bitch.

This topic has been discussed before - please use search.

GME
01-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Alcorn

now how would i go about mounting the lap belt portion of the safety harness?

the lap belt is bolted down using the two bolts that bolt down the actual seat. Take a look at it, it's very self explanatory. Your stock belt uses the bolt closest to your shifter on both the driver and passenger side. It is currently bolting down the seatbelt buckle.

ron korolak
01-03-2005, 11:12 AM
If you plan on running 11.5 or quicker at the track you well need a 6 point bar and 5 point harness!

Alcorn
01-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ron korolak
If you plan on running 11.5 or quicker at the track you well need a 6 point bar and 5 point harness!

alright that sounds great for me. i will not be running that fast of a time for a while at the track but i guess if i get a 4-point harness that i can had the 5th point to when i get the cage and that fast of a time woulld be a good idea.

my other question is how is insurance with these sort's of things if i was to install these my self and got in an accident and the insurance company had no previouse knowledge of them will they decline coverage.