PDA

View Full Version : Best amp with 12" type R ??? OHM ?? CD changer Cable ??

Tilly
12-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Hi,
I am currently looking to upgrade my current setup with a better amp. I am looking to spend ~$200, but I have no clue as to what I need, or what the heck 2/4 ohms mean, and so on.

If anyone has a clue, i could sure use the help..

Also,
I currently have a panasonic deck, and an alpine 6-disk changer connected via Universal FM plug. I would like to get better reception from the CD changer, does that mean that I need a new 'Alpine' deck? I realize that you can purchase the specific cable from changer to deck for alpine, but can you also get one for another brand name deck? I am in the market for purchasing a new deck anyways, so if I really do NEED alpine then it's no big deal, but it would be nice to have a wider variety of choices.

Thanks

digitalshogun
12-31-2004, 01:32 PM
hmmmm ... if you don't even have a concept of what an Ohm is, it might be better to save up a little more and have a place install it for ya.

First off ... what model number is your 12" type R? Gimme that and i'll try and walk you through some basic electrical concepts with the specs from the sub.

A790
01-02-2005, 01:39 AM
It's a Dual 4 ohm coil on it if its a new Type-R, I believe.

If so, give each coil roughly 150-200 watts RMS.

digitalshogun
01-02-2005, 10:20 AM
On their site they list both a swr-1241d and a swr-1221d that are 4 ohm and 2 ohm coils respectively.

A790
01-03-2005, 01:23 PM
well, it would help to know which one it was then :D

SteveMo600
01-03-2005, 09:31 PM
I've got a Rockford Fosgate 200M that might work with your sub....it's a 200 watt RMS amp...Let me know if you're interested.

fresh
01-03-2005, 09:56 PM
if your sub is dual 2 find a 2 channel amp and bridge it
if your sub is dual 4 find a mono block ( 1 ch ) it will sound much better, if you don't Know how to wire the sub ask a dude at visions or something

cujo_cjc
01-04-2005, 12:42 AM
i was also thinking of getting a single 10" type r sub
the uh SWR-1041D with the alpine box too

i wanted to go all alpine for my sound system
which amp and which deck would u guys suggest if i have a budget of about... $1200?

A790
01-04-2005, 02:58 AM
Cujo, I don't want to bash your prospective system but I wouldn't go all alpine.

Their subs are fine, I run two of the Type-S's. However, I don't care for their amps at all.

I've owned three Alpine amps and not liked either of them. If you want to run a single Type-R I'd go for a Phoenix Gold, Rockford or Kicker amp.

If you want to be a brand loyalist then get one of the Alpine's, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Weapon_R
01-04-2005, 03:01 AM
Alpine makes some of the finest mainstream audio amplifiers that i've ever used :confused:

Their digital lineup is fantastic. I'm not sure why you'd knock their amps. Actually, their entire lineup is pretty good, from decks (which I think are the best you can buy) to their subs and amps.

A790
01-04-2005, 03:03 AM
I had a 300 watt V12 that kept on overheating, even if I wasn't playing it too loudly. I got it replaced under warrenty and the second one would randomly just click off.

I had a old Flex5 and it ran great until one day it just went. It was going through fuses every time I turned the volume up.

I figured that my install was the problem somehow and I paid Soundsaround to redo the whole thing and the same B.S. kept happening.

Not one problem with my Rockford 351 two channel, not one problem with my Phoenix Octane R.

Maybe Alpine just doesn't like me, but hey, the feeling is mutual :D

fresh
01-06-2005, 07:09 PM
$1200:eek:
you can get a really nice amp and deck for that
i would go to soundsaround for your cd player they carry all the good ones and go with alpine trust me
your amp can be alpine too don't listen to that other dude alpine amps are killer they are 10 times better than rockford and much more efficient than Phoenix gold. go with the Alpine MRD- M301(digital) or the MRP-M350 they are both D class Mono rated at 350watts so will get at least 300watts out of them, and there no more than $350 - $400 it will pound, but you HAVE TO GET DUAL 4ohm type R!!!!!! and i sugest if you only want 1 sub, go with the 12 inch it moves more air and youll get more out of that than a 10 inch By the way stay away from rockfords new stuff it's just as bad as sony:thumbsdow

A790
01-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Explain how Alpine is 10x better than Rockford?

How is it than an amp rated at 350 watts (RMS I'm assuming) guarantees that he will get at least 300 watts out of it? That's the dumbest statement I've seen yet. How much actual wattage he'll get out of it is dependant on how effecient the amp is, the impedance of the circuit, and the voltage going to the amp from the car. You can't look at an amp and go "oh, its rated for 1,000,000 watts so I must get at least 10,000 watts out of it".

On a dollar per dollar basis you can't match some of rockfords amps. Their subs have gone second rate, that I will agree to, but the amps are still top-notch. Prices for a 500 watt mono from Alpine are almost $150 more than from a 500 watt mono Rockford! The Rockford includes punchbass (remote bass control), is a Class-D and has various other goodies built into it, just as the Alpine does. If you look on www.crutchfield.com you'll find the Alpine MRD-M501 at $499 USD (550watts x 1 at 2 ohms) and the Rockford P6001 (600watts x 1 at 2 ohms- the closest to Alpines MRD-M501 power rating I could find) also for $499 USD. That's the same price for an amp rated at 50 watts more.

Phoenix gold has been making some of the best car audio products for years. Their top end amplifiers produce 10,000 watts of power (tested, and proven). Does alpine even have an amplifier that produced half of that power? No.

Don't get me wrong; Alpine makes decent products. I've been using their subwoofers and speakers for years, but on the electronic end of things there are other brands that outperform them. End of story.

Harryc8786
01-10-2005, 12:16 AM
The guys lookin to spend 200$. If hes just gona run 1 alpine sub. I wouldn't blow my cash on their amps i have owend them before. I have the 300W v12 and it wasnt bad nice and small. But man if you go on ebay check out some kicker monoblock or PG mono amp i would stick with somehting like that. Maybe a 12' dual Type R if you really want those subs and like a kicker kx400.1 Thats more than enough power and its right in your pricerange man. Ive done american bass audiobahn alpine kicker and jbl. Kicker has always made the amp i liked better than the others. If you want cheap prices, ebay almost always is cheapest!!! Only thing is if you get subs off line they can be a hassle to deal with if you use warranty. Sub(s) buy in store and amps off line i've NEVER had a problem with. Good luck hoped atleast some of this helped

digitalshogun
01-10-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by A790
... You can't look at an amp and go "oh, its rated for 1,000,000 watts so I must get at least 10,000 watts out of it".

Sure you can. I think that would have to be the shittiest eBay only amp company that could rate an amp at 1 MW and not be able to deliver 10kW. Hell even if that number was peak as opposed to RMS the power source should be able to deliver 1%. Unless of course its a metal box with styrofoam semiconductors.

;)