PDA

View Full Version : what keeps u motivated

pyro
01-01-2005, 05:16 PM
i cant keep on my program i do it for like a week or two and then ill miss a day and be like ill make up for it tommorow and then a coupe of weeks go by then i train for another week and a bit i just cant stay motivated? Also could someone help me make a better program to use on the bowflex, right now im basically just doing the simple fun ones that i can do and forget about the others so my muscel is unbalanced.

pyro
01-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Also is it fine to do a lot of reps one day to build the faster long lasting muscel and then the next day do alot of weight to actually build big muscel

hockeybronx
01-01-2005, 07:07 PM
My main motivation is the simple realisation of what workouts are for me: my safehaven.

When I don't workout I feel weak and tired, but I also feel frustrated, overwhelmed, and stressed out.

I continually remind myself that the best way I can deal with stress, anger, downness, or whatever is to go down to my basement and let it rip for a while.

Also, sometimes it's better just to start doing exercises, and not plan it out. There have been times where I will plan everything out and by the time it's planned it's too late to get a good sleep after my workouts.

I work with a guy who trains for traithalons and the best advice he ever gave me was "sometimes you just need to eat your brownies and drink your eggnog". It basically means don't make yourself paranoid about your health. If you miss a workout out, big deal, shake it off and come back the next day and go harder.

Workouts shouldn't feel like a debted committment, they should be a rewarding fun time.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Chim
01-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Sounds like the "New Years Crew" has arrived ;)

Your mirror or scale is usually your best motivation. If you're happy with the way your body is, then it's going to be hard to find the motivation! So if you don't already have motivation, you'll have to change your standards.

Ok and for the questions, I'll answer as best I can but there's a quite a few on this board that know a lot more than me :D

Originally posted by pyro
Also could someone help me make a better program to use on the bowflex, right now im basically just doing the simple fun ones that i can do and forget about the others so my muscel is unbalanced.

Free weights are better than bowflex in pretty much all situations, unless you prefer to work out at home and need the compact advantages of Bowflex.
I've never used Bowflex but the "must haves" of any training program are bench presses, squats, pullups, and deadlifts. So look up how to do those and adapt it to your Bowflex workout.

Originally posted by pyro
Also is it fine to do a lot of reps one day to build the faster long lasting muscel and then the next day do alot of weight to actually build big muscel

Usually, you'll want to stick with lower reps (6-10) with big weights. Of course, that depends on what your goals are (endurance, strength, size, low bodyfat)
Try not to focus on a single muscle more than once a week.

Hope that helps

Wildcat
01-01-2005, 07:32 PM
results = my motivation

ecstasy_civic
01-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
results = my motivation

thats exactly what I was going to post.

Seeing results is my motivation

pinoyhero
01-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Perhaps your problem isn't motivation at all, I would guess that your routine is either too rigorous or just simply not enjoyable. Remedies:

Too rig.
-mix in more cardio so you don't get bored
-change your routine
-change your exercises
-get a partner
-cut back to a level where you will not miss, if that means 25 min workouts or only going 1-2 ties per week than that's a start at least

Non enj.
-get an ipod
-get a partner
-start only with exercises you like doing
-get an outside motivator (i.e. single guy...think of the ladies, ect.)

ecstasy_civic
01-06-2005, 10:52 PM
I know when I got a training partner my workouts got WAY more interesting, Im constantly trying to outdo him. Right now, ive got him in strength, but hes got me on cardio.

try and get a buddy to sign up at your gym, definatley worth a shot, plus, if you think,
"nah, ill go tommorow" chances are your buddy will bug the shit out of you til you go lol

Super_Geo
01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
There's only 2 steps needed man:

1) Pick out a friend that you know you won't see for a couple of months (perfect if you go away for school).
2) Tell him you can bench press 50lbs more than you actually can.

Done. Now, if you don't want to make a complete ass of youself you better hit that gym.. haha.

pyro
01-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
I
try and get a buddy to sign up at your gym, definatley worth a shot, plus, if you think,
"nah, ill go tommorow" chances are your buddy will bug the shit out of you til you go lol

ya thats what i was thinking would be the best cause i know if i did skip out on one day my buddy would toataly bug the shit out of me. good advice :thumbsup:

Super_Geo i like your way of thinking :thumbsup:

well thanx for the advice hopefully ill be able to stick with it

hockeybronx
01-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I was recently struggling with motivation.

I got a Nomad (like an Ipod but holds 30 GB) for Christmas, so I hooked that up where my weights are, and then I started working out during the day. Before I always prefered working out before bed, but once I tried during the day it has helped so much.

It's a good feeling to have done your full workout already, so then you can spend the night refueling your body, and visiting with people.

iceburns288
01-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Ehh... just got results back from myself and it keeps me happy. Lowering my 10-minute mile time at the beginning of 5th grade to about 8 minutes was awesome, and it kept going down from there till I hit 6:30 at the end of last year (8th). I could do about 40 situps in one minute last year, now I'm closing in on 60.:)