PDA

View Full Version : Block Heaters

Speed_69
01-02-2005, 01:49 AM
so far, i havn't had any trouble starting up in the mornings and at night but yea i'm looking to get a block heater for my car.

how much will it approximately cost and have it installed?
any good shops to do it at?

hockeybronx
01-02-2005, 02:07 AM
My car also does not have a block heater, and so far it's been okay. However I was talking to my uncle who is a mechanic and he really stressed that I should get one installed soon... it didn't really matter what kind.

I know Canadian Tire has some, but I'm also going to check stores such as Part Source, Pep Boys, and Auto Value.

If I find one for a good deal, and have some time then I'll get it thrown on my car.

GTS Jeff
01-02-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
My car also does not have a block heater, and so far it's been okay. However I was talking to my uncle who is a mechanic and he really stressed that I should get one installed soon... it didn't really matter what kind.

I know Canadian Tire has some, but I'm also going to check stores such as Part Source, Pep Boys, and Auto Value.

If I find one for a good deal, and have some time then I'll get it thrown on my car. last i checked, there are no pep boys in canada....

GTS Jeff
01-02-2005, 02:38 AM
and the last time i checked was a minute ago on google heh

frozenrice
01-02-2005, 12:33 PM
If memory serves me correctly, block heaters are about $20 +/- plus install. I had one installed waaayyy back for a total of $100 I think. From what I've been told, there are different types too. There's just the plain simple ones that are more or less a heating element and I've heard of the ones that heat up and pump/circulate as well.

knees scrapin'
01-02-2005, 02:20 PM
My car also does not have a block heater, and so far it's been okay.

You drive a jetta? I was always under the impresion that ALL Vw's and Audi's sold in Canada are sold with the Cold Weather Package. Block heater and optinal heated seats and washer jets.

At least the 10 vw's that I have owned did. Odd. :dunno:

frozenrice
01-02-2005, 02:59 PM
It may depend on where the car was originally sold. My Integra was originally from Vancouver so it didn't come with one. I had to get one installed here in Calgary. I'm not sure how other car markets and manufacturers do it.

schmooot
01-02-2005, 03:10 PM
are you guys talking like an actual block heater or an aftermarket stick on thing? Because I always though putting an actual block heater in a car without one, involved extensive work inside and around the block to install all the coils and tubes and crap inside. Unless you are talking about the little cord that plugs into the existing block heater inside the block. Or there are aftermarket ones, some are magnetically attached to the bottom of the oil pan and some are siliconed on. I myself got my motor from japan so there was no internal block heater. I opted for the silicone on one and it was about $50 just for the unit, I had to put it on myself, but it does do a good job of heating.

T5Bird
01-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Most block heaters simply replace an existing frost plug in the engine block. There are also inline heaters that install in one of the coolant lines and heat circulate your coolant when plugged in. And as mentioned above there is a pan heater typically bonded onto the oil pan to pre heat the oil. I had a truck when I worked in Northern BC with all three, it was real nice on the -40 mornings.

hockeybronx
01-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by knees scrapin'

You drive a jetta? I was always under the impresion that ALL Vw's and Audi's sold in Canada are sold with the Cold Weather Package. Block heater and optinal heated seats and washer jets.

At least the 10 vw's that I have owned did. Odd. :dunno:

What year of VW have you owned though? I know another guy at my work who has a fully loaded VR6 but his did not come with a block heater. I went to the dealership to get one installed and they told me that their block heaters are no longer legal in North America because of fire hazard regulations.

They told me my only option was to try and track down an aftermarket heater.

big_k
01-02-2005, 07:39 PM
I bought mine from partsource for about $25 i believe. It was really easy to install myself aswell.

ehos
01-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Inline coolant heaters are a snap to instal, cheap and don't need to be plugged in for very long.

Plus your car warms up very quickly on cold days.

hockeybronx
01-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by ehos
Inline coolant heaters are a snap to instal, cheap and don't need to be plugged in for very long.

Plus your car warms up very quickly on cold days.

Do you have any recommendations for brand or place to buy it? From the sounds of it, the most desirable heater for me would be one that circulates and heats the coolant.

FiveFreshFish
01-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I was always under the impresion that ALL Vw's and Audi's sold in Canada are sold with the Cold Weather Package. Block heater and optinal heated seats and washer jets.

The B5 Audi S4 didn't come with one, and there wasn't even a factory or dealer-installed option available.

knees scrapin'
01-03-2005, 11:10 PM

What year of VW have you owned though? I know another guy at my work who has a fully loaded VR6 but his did not come with a block heater. I went to the dealership to get one installed and they told me that their block heaters are no longer legal in North America because of fire hazard regulations.

They told me my only option was to try and track down an aftermarket heater.

My new 2004 Golf has one. Even come with a nice red cord.
Wanna buy mine?

hockeybronx
01-04-2005, 02:43 PM

Wanna buy mine?

Check your PM!

knees scrapin'
01-04-2005, 09:58 PM
I was kidding. Sorry.:D

hockeybronx
01-04-2005, 09:59 PM

Oh the joke is on me... that was hilarious:thumbsdow

Try not to choke yourself with your "nice red cord'

dj_rice
01-04-2005, 10:20 PM
For block heaters...is it okay to plug them in all nite?

Khyron
01-04-2005, 11:49 PM

Oh the joke is on me... that was hilarious:thumbsdow

Try not to choke yourself with your "nice red cord'

Actually I have a brand new factory one sitting in a box that I no longer need (garage at home, and no plugs at work). PM and we can make a deal.

Heaters do make starts much easier on the car IMO so if you can plug in, you should.

Khyron

FiveFreshFish
01-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
For block heaters...is it okay to plug them in all nite?

Yes, but you really only need it plugged in for a few hours before starting the car, as any more time will not make it any warmer. An outdoor timer will do the trick.

Running the block heater all night just wastes electricity.

hockeybronx
01-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Wanna buy mine?

Originally posted by Khyron
Actually I have a brand new factory one sitting in a box that I no longer need (garage at home, and no plugs at work). PM and we can make a deal.

Heaters do make starts much easier on the car IMO so if you can plug in, you should.

Khyron

Here we go again?