PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Body Part Of The Week: Calves

hockeybronx
01-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Okay guys I'm going to try this again this week.

Remember: advice, input, comments, injuries, exercises, experiences with the calf (gastrocnemeius) muscle group.

I think too many people focus only on their upper bodies and their legs, leaving a huge disproportion comparison between the upper and lower parts of the body.

Is there anything other than calf raises, calf raises, and calf raises that we can do?

tsi_neal
01-04-2005, 06:11 PM
seated and standign calf raises

gggunit
01-04-2005, 06:21 PM
hockeybronx.. I feel the same way.. so I now work calves 3 times a week, just like forearms they are negleted.

to get a good burn I do 7 sets of 8-10 reps
using the smith machine.. I also do them when working legs on the "leg press" machine between sets

Burn baby Burn like disco inferno.

Wildcat
01-04-2005, 07:04 PM
i do 3 exercises, 4 sets of each, and the routine only once every 6 days;

-Standing calf raises
-Sitting calf raises
-Calf raises on leg press machine (or something similar)

Chim
01-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Is it just me or do calves grow disgustingly fast?

I only started working them out in September, and they already have 2 inches on my arms :eek:

gggunit
01-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Chim
Is it just me or do calves grow disgustingly fast?

I only started working them out in September, and they already have 2 inches on my arms :eek:

you added 2 inch's on your arms by working on your calves? saracasim or????

turbotrip
01-04-2005, 09:06 PM
lol he might be trying to say theyre 2 inches bigger than his arms

hockeybronx
01-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Playing hockey for 16 years hasn't helped my cause at all. Sure hockey players have really strong hamstrings, quadriceps, and glutes, but because of the support in our skates we tend to have the weakest ankles possible.

I'll see what progress I can make in the coming months.

Chim
01-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
lol he might be trying to say theyre 2 inches bigger than his arms

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Apparently the rule of thumb is that your arms (biceps cold and flexed) should be about the same size as your calves for proportionality. But in my case, my calves outgrew my arms pretty quickly.

Tyler883
01-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Is there anything other than calf raises, calf raises, and calf raises that we can do?

That sounds like you know what you are talking about!;)

joseph
01-06-2005, 03:39 AM
Skipping with a speed rope works pretty well for me. Don't know if that'll help much if mass is ur objective though.

pinoyhero
01-06-2005, 06:45 AM
I used to do alot of calf work to increase my vertical, at one point I was able to dunk a basketball with a perfect pass and I'm not quite 5'8. My calves were pretty strong and developed as well. The exercise I did all the time was plyometric. Just stand and jump one inch as rapidly as posssible without moving your knees. DOn't kep your knees locked but keep them in in the same neutral position so you can use only your calves to jump. Best part is you can watch TV or slowly move around a room if your getting bored.

badseed
01-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Chim

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Apparently the rule of thumb is that your arms (biceps cold and flexed) should be about the same size as your calves for proportionality. But in my case, my calves outgrew my arms pretty quickly.

^^True. Don't forget to add neck aswell. Neck,Biceps,Calves should all be very close.

mcshow
01-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
I used to do alot of calf work to increase my vertical, at one point I was able to dunk a basketball with a perfect pass and I'm not quite 5'8.

WOW! how big was your vertical then??

mcshow
01-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Playing hockey for 16 years hasn't helped my cause at all. Sure hockey players have really strong hamstrings, quadriceps, and glutes, but because of the support in our skates we tend to have the weakest ankles possible.

I know what you mean, i played hockey for about 16 or 15 years as well because i have torn my ligaments in my ankle twice and broken it once as well, from just really stupid shit that i only should have sprained it from

JAYMEZ
01-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Pinoy I used to do the same thing as you , but my mom always got pissed at me jumping up and down lol...

But I had such a hard work out last night , i woke up today with ceased arms!!(over did myself) Ahh .... So whats everyones work out scedules like this month?