PDA

View Full Version : engine shampoos

Speed_69
01-04-2005, 06:05 PM
what do they exactly clean during an engine shampoo? and is it the same as doing it yourself at a hand carwash?
how much do engine shampoo's usually cost around?

Weapon_R
01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
They shampoo the engine. You can do it yourself with some Simple Green and a power washer.

I'm not sure how much it costs since it's really not worth paying for.

blinkme_210
01-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Go to Crappy Tire and buy a bottle of engine shampoo. Spray the stuff all over your engine, let it soak for 10 minutes, spray it off with a pressure washer. Make sure you wipe clean the major parts of the engine, airdry with the hood open, or spray it dry with the air hose. Because if you don't, there will be this greasy film on the engine.

leutyc
01-04-2005, 07:53 PM
$50 at fountion tire. they wont look at fixing a leak untill you do that cleaning!

GT2NV
01-04-2005, 07:57 PM
steam cleaning helps alot too, you can get it done at mr detail

Chinese_Legend
01-06-2005, 12:35 PM
yah i suggest you just do it yourself with simple green...works great

phat97yukon
01-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Spray nine, grease off.... i ive used that on 2 motors, and it worked better than any other thing ove bought, even makes belts hose's and plug wires look new and worked great on aluminum.. spray it on let it sit for 5/10 mins than blast it off

gorillam
01-08-2005, 05:45 PM
I remember watching something on tv saying dont do that yourself, something about greased joints can get dirt/water and crap in the if you dont do it properly. They reccomended spending the 50 bucks and getting it done right?

Is this true?
Honestly I would spend the money to get someone to do it professionaly. Mostly cause i dont have a pressure washer, and i know what those things do to seals...

simon1002
04-25-2006, 01:15 AM
do you guys know when i am shampooing my engine with a pressure washer, what parts of the engine i have to be aware of not getting any water into it that will cause the car to not start or shake when it is washed by water?

For example: i know that the starter cannot touch water, what other major parts i have to be aware of?

djayz
04-25-2006, 04:39 AM
^
all i did was cover my intake filter...everything else stayed opened...and i washed with simple green and 1700psi of water.

No shaking no hesitation when starting...only thing that happened was the first time i started it there was a loud screeching from the alternator belt slipping which is no biggy.

and id rather clean my engine myself then give it to a "professional"

rc2002
04-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Watch the distributor and spark plug wires if applicable.

teggypimp95
04-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Go to crappy tire and buy a can of gunk engine cleaner. around 10 bucks. spray on soak for 10 min. rinces. try to avoice air filter and plugs. but it is engine safe. leave hood upen and let car run for 15 minits to let dry. it will smell like cleaner for a few days. its normal and will go away. works like a charm and leaves no film. :thumbsup:

simon1002
04-26-2006, 03:28 AM
thanks for all your advise and help

do you know what kind of pressure washer is good these days, like the simoniz?

rc2002
04-26-2006, 09:37 AM
You're making this way too complicated. Just go to one of the hand car washes and spray it down with the engine wash. You get the exact same results and no running around looking for pressure washers and engine shampoo.

redblack
04-26-2006, 09:47 AM
shouldnt the engine be cold when you spray it with water?

djayz
04-26-2006, 11:18 AM
not cold but warm
you dont want to wash it right after youve been driving around for 15 minutes that could crack something inside even tho they use warm water at most car washes.

before i began washing i turned my car on for about 2 minutes then washed

Moe Man
04-26-2006, 11:20 AM
ok unless you have a hoist then dont bother. due to gravity oil runs down hill and i think the purpose of him getting his engine cleaned is because there is something wrong with the car, not because he wants it to look nice. the reason they told him to get an engine shampoo is because they cant see shit under the car due to all the oil. :drama:

rockym20
04-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I've been told by a mechanic that I know that you should actually keep your engine running and hot when you power spray it. That way the water evaporates before it has a chance to accumulate anywhere and cause problems.

redblack
04-27-2006, 10:12 AM
i thought that cold water + hot engine = cracked block, manifold:dunno:

rockym20
04-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by redblack
i thought that cold water + hot engine = cracked block, manifold:dunno:

I've never heard of this happening to anyone. Maybe it is just an urban myth. Does anyone have any direct experience with this actually happening, or is it just "common knowledge"?

I can say this, I have driven 4X4 vehicles through ice cold mountain creeks that are deep enough that the water was flowing over the hood of the vehicle and there was no damage to the block from the temperature change (although we were admittedly lucky that no water got into the air intake).