PDA

View Full Version : Green Tea?

Weapon_R
01-04-2005, 09:58 PM
My gf is a personal trainer and has been telling me how great it is to drink green tea...

So, wtf is so great about it? Are the benefits as good with sugar?

cidley69
01-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Apparently green tea is loaded with anti-oxidants, which (I think) capture free radicals in the body. Free radicals are bad and green tea helps to kill them.

If anyone has a more detailed description it would be nice to hear about it.

abyss
01-05-2005, 12:48 PM
it's also been rumored that green tea has wicked cancer fighting agents. Which is probably why Japan has such a low cancer rate compared with other countries. It was also shown on Oprah that if you replace your morning cup of coffee with green tea instead, you'll still get the caffeine but far less calories=to losing about 7-10 pounds in 8 weeks. (for people who are trying to lose those christmas pounds :D) I've been doing it for about a month and I've lost 5, but I also don't have too much to lose I guess. However, I feel WAY better and I haven't had a caffeine headache since (these used to be a regular occurance for me)

If you add sugar you lose some of the weight loss benefits because sugar has calories (duh)

Tyler883
01-05-2005, 02:08 PM
good god, man!!!

There's nothing wrong with coffee!!!

LOL

gggunit
01-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Pre-workout - Green tea is a great alternative to the ECA stack. Yeah I know nothing beats the ECA stack but hear me out. A number of people, including myself do not like how the ECA stack makes us feel.

Cutting - Research suggests that supplementing with green tea can raise your resting metabolic rate by 3%. In order to get this benefit you must have about about 3 glasses a day. If you have a bmr of 2000 or so that means 60 extra calories a day. Why do you see so few obese Indians. Its not the kama sutra. It's the green tea!

check out

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/green.html

calgarys13
01-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Super Store sells S M herbal green tea that has no caffeine for the people who don't want any :thumbsup:

Carfanman
01-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Will drinking caffinated green tea have the same effects as coffee on someone who hasnt finished growing?
Like I try not to drink to much coffe because I dont want it to stunt my growth, but if I start drinking greent tea alot, will that stunt my growth?

abyss
01-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
Will drinking caffinated green tea have the same effects as coffee on someone who hasnt finished growing?
Like I try not to drink to much coffe because I dont want it to stunt my growth, but if I start drinking greent tea alot, will that stunt my growth?

Read the post DIRECTLY above yours.

Carfanman
01-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Yea but there are other reasons for not wanting caffiene Im asking if it will stunt my growth.

bigboom
01-15-2005, 02:59 AM
green tea only has any noticeable effects on the human body when you drink 10+ cups per day, otherwise it has no effect on you. what you can do though is get green tea pills which give you the full positive effect of drinking 10+cups of tea.

Carfanman
01-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Where can you can you get those? Can you get them from any chain stores that exist in the states? Are there any negative effects?

FiveFreshFish
01-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Sugar should not be added to green tea.

Weapon_R
01-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Sugar should not be added to green tea.

any reason why?

And are the positive effects of black tea similar to green tea?

FiveFreshFish
01-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
any reason why?
I think it's just an etiquette thing that was pounded into my head when I was young.

Davetronz
01-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Also remember that green tea has on average 10Mg of caffiene per cup. So if you are anti-caffiene or cant tolerate caffiene (like myself) try to get decaf varieties.

FiveFreshFish
01-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
Where can you can you get those? Can you get them from any chain stores that exist in the states?
Lipton (http://lipton.com/our_products/green/index.asp) green tea is pretty good and available at any supermarket if you can't find the traditional stuff. Comes in a single-cup tea bag (not loose tea leaves).

Carfanman
01-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Lipton (http://lipton.com/our_products/green/index.asp) green tea is pretty good and available at any supermarket if you can't find the traditional stuff. Comes in a single-cup tea bag (not loose tea leaves).

Thanks, but I was talking about this.

Originally posted by bigboom
what you can do though is get green tea pills which give you the full positive effect of drinking 10+cups of tea.

msommers
10-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by bigboom
green tea only has any noticeable effects on the human body when you drink 10+ cups per day, otherwise it has no effect on you. what you can do though is get green tea pills which give you the full positive effect of drinking 10+cups of tea.

Bump from the past..

I was wanting to try a new green tea as the leaves I use now don't really get the tea very green at all and don't really taste all that good. Also, a non-caffeinated version would be preferred. The type they have at Sakiji taste great if anyone knows what that is..

I'm curious where you could get pills like these, or if it's better to stick with drinking the tea anyways because of the water consumption factor.

Lastly, if you have some foreign canister, can you post a picture of it? Last time I was in the tea place in T&T I didn't know wtf I was looking for (other than something over 30-ish bucks for a canister) and no one there seemed to want to help me out! Fuckin white people:rofl:

serena.yan
12-16-2009, 02:53 AM
well, drinking green tea continues to show health benefits, particularly among women. :poosie:

Sasuke_Kensai
12-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Bump from the past..

I was wanting to try a new green tea as the leaves I use now don't really get the tea very green at all and don't really taste all that good. Also, a non-caffeinated version would be preferred. The type they have at Sakiji taste great if anyone knows what that is..

I'm curious where you could get pills like these, or if it's better to stick with drinking the tea anyways because of the water consumption factor.

Lastly, if you have some foreign canister, can you post a picture of it? Last time I was in the tea place in T&T I didn't know wtf I was looking for (other than something over 30-ish bucks for a canister) and no one there seemed to want to help me out! Fuckin white people:rofl:

As a suggestion, I love Kirkland green tea (Costco brand). 100 bags for $15 last time I saw which is a little bit more than the other kinds they had, but it reminded me of tea from sushi places!

The pills sound all right, but part of the reason I would still drink regular tea is the relaxation factor. Nothing like a hot beverage for that. Also, something in me just trusts water-based tea more than a pill, but I really have no basis for that other than extra water consumption like you mention.

JfuckinC
12-16-2009, 11:30 AM
mmmmmm Zen Green tea with Honey :drool:

i hate any hot beverage, except green tea. Sure gets me right going in the morning too lol nice caffeine boost.

ExtraSlow
12-16-2009, 11:43 AM
My favourite is the butterfly brand White tea from superstore. a box of 50 bags is pretty cheap, and it tastes awesome.

White tea is supposed to be slightly better for you than green tea, as it isn't oxidized during processing.
Wiki- White tea health benefits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tea#White_tea_compared_to_green_tea)

At work they stock jasmine gren tea, which is decent as well

almerick
12-16-2009, 11:51 AM
When I went to Taiwan, they taught the tour group that green tea powder is really good, especially mixed in with those small yogurt drinks from Asian supermarkets. It will help you lose weight. The powder is a bit on the pricey side though.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/358353635_8562f55660.jpg

Another drink "tseaw yaow tseet" only sold in Taiwan will cause you to crap out oil, literally, cleanses your system, very bitter though, I'll post a picture of the bottle when I get home.

Darkane
12-16-2009, 12:55 PM
-Anti-oxident
-Anti-cancerous
-Anti-aging
-Boosts insulin sensitivity
-Raises metabolic resting rate (Metabolism)
-Excellent appetite suppressant
-Comes in decaf and tastes the same unlike coffee

Lots of benefits.

Most of this won't come until 1L/day is consumed - which isn't that much.

Most XL coffee's are 20oz or more. 32oz is a liter.

I try to do 1-1.5L/day and a little green tea extract as well.

Genjuro
12-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Can't remember where I read it but to get full benefits out of organic green tea non-processed (in the little pouches from stores) you need to steep it in one of those tea balls and drink it while its super hot with no sugar at all. Don't let it cool.

Also there's a cool little site here:

http://www.theteaemporium.com/Green-Tea.html