PDA

View Full Version : help : rust

Speed_69
01-05-2005, 01:26 AM
just recently..i've noticed some very small rust spots appearing under my tailights..i was wondering should i sand this off and just use touch up paint after?
and i'm kinda scared the rest of the body is going to start rusting soon so i was going to plan to save up for a paint job and get one next winter. i have not taken a look behind the fenders or rear quarter panels to see if there is any rust but just a question..if there is rust there, will the people sand it off when i get a paint job or do i have to replace the whole fender and rear quarter panels? i was planning on getting the paintjob done at national collision and bodywork

Weapon_R
01-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Once it starts, it'll never stop.

Body shops won't guarantee any rust repair. The only way to ensure that no rust will occur is if you replace the parts, which is too expensive. Sell your car and buy another civic.

Speed_69
01-05-2005, 01:52 AM
so is rust that is behind something i have to worry about alot..like will it be appearable on the outside?

cressida_pimpin
01-05-2005, 06:54 PM
if its surface rust then u can sand, prime and paint. if its a hole or below surface u can make it look good for about 20 bucks. go to part source and get urself a can of everglass short haired fibreglass. sand out all of the rust til theres just metal left. the take some wax paper and cover one side with everglass and the hardner. take and stick it to the spot or hole in the metal and wait about 20 min to pull it off. sand it down until smooth then if u want u can keep filling it with everglass until its even with the contours of the car. then bondo overtop of the fiberglass to fill in the tiny holes in the fibreglass. once ur done that u can pic up some spray paint thats color matched to ur car and ur done.

civicrider
01-05-2005, 07:03 PM
^
and next winter that rust will return. if your gonna spend the money on the paint job, ither replace the parts or cut out the rust and weld in new metal. anyother way that rust will return. if you do go the route cressida_pimpin said, you should lay down an etching primer or an epoxy primer to prevent corrosion.

Speed_69
01-05-2005, 08:06 PM
so basically what you're saying is that when i have rust outside on the surface of my car..and i get it sanded off, and get a $3500 paint job, it's practically useless because the rust will appear again in a year?

basicaly right now i'm just worried if rust is going to start appearing behind..like on the other side of the metal

civicrider
01-05-2005, 08:09 PM
yes it will aprear unless it is cut out or new fenders are put in. so if you want your $3500 paint job to last cut out the rust before you piant.

Speed_69
01-05-2005, 08:15 PM
well i plan on getting a new front and rear bumper next winter before i paint it..side skirts i don't really have to worry about because they're like plastic. and i was comtemplating getting some z3 fenders from customauto, i guess i have to do that now too. so now i just have to cut the metal from the rear quarter panels and replace it right?
so after doing all this..i shouldn't have to worry about rust for a long time right?

civicrider
01-05-2005, 10:26 PM
correct, it would be cheeper to buy new front fenders there like $80 each and then cut out your rear quarters and weld in metal

futurecivic
01-05-2005, 10:36 PM
rust starts on the insideout not ithe outside in the only way to get rid of rust is to cut out the rust and either weld of make a new fiber glass piece and etching primer is a great idea i would highly recommend it
Barry

88CRX
01-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by futurecivic
rust starts on the insideout not ithe outside in the only way to get rid of rust is to cut out the rust and either weld of make a new fiber glass piece and etching primer is a great idea i would highly recommend it
Barry

um no.

rust can start anywhere. outside and rust in.... and it can also start on the inside and work out.

either way your fucked.

only real solution is to have the old rusty metal cut out. and new metal welded in and even that isnt a sure fix if you dont have it done properly.

remember you get what you pay for when it come to bodywork.... dont go cheap cause it WILL cost you twice as much to repair shit work that you've cheaped out on.

and do not let them simply sand and bondo or simply replace the rusty metal with a piece of fiberglass.

cressida_pimpin
01-09-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by civicrider
^
and next winter that rust will return. if your gonna spend the money on the paint job, ither replace the parts or cut out the rust and weld in new metal. anyother way that rust will return. if you do go the route cressida_pimpin said, you should lay down an etching primer or an epoxy primer to prevent corrosion.

ya thats even better then fibreglassing. if u know someone that can weld than ur set cuz all you have to do is cut out the rust( i suggest about 1 inch past the rust on all sides and measure, then cut the peice of metal. weld in the metal, then grid down and bondo overtop for a nice smooth finish. if u take ur time or if u go to someone good then it should turn out just fine.
why spend 3500 on paint when u can do it urself? :dunno:

Weapon_R
01-09-2005, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69
so basically what you're saying is that when i have rust outside on the surface of my car..and i get it sanded off, and get a $3500 paint job, it's practically useless because the rust will appear again in a year?

Unfortunately, that IS the case. Sure, you may be able to cut out a rusted piece and put a new one in, but you cannot cut out what you cannot see. Chances are, if it's already rusted in one area, it's rusting in several other places too.

cressida_pimpin
01-09-2005, 01:29 PM
^ ya thats a good point. just fix the rust u can see and try to get rid of it unless u wanna keep fixing it every winter