PDA

View Full Version : Ontario - Need Advice regarding a summons

Madazo
01-05-2005, 01:43 AM
asdf

Tyler883
01-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Madazo
I dont' mind paying more money to avoid criminal/jail time... It's not like this will ever happen again! [/B]

If thats true, try getting some advice from a lawyer instead of a car forum.

Madazo
01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883

If thats true, try getting some advice from a lawyer instead of a car forum.

If you're too ignorant to be helpfull please dont' reply.

I'm here for free advice to anyone who's willing.. The question was If I have been accused of driving without insurance, is that the only charge I'm liable for in court? Or can the court add extra charges while I'm there...

Tyler883
01-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Sorry, it was not intended to be rude, it's just my best advice.

skidmark
01-06-2005, 11:48 AM
The summons may only list driving while uninsured, but you may still be charged with driving while prohibited when you attend court.

I often issue documents that contain only one charge, but submit the Report to Crown Counsel recommending more than one. I usually put the more serious charge on the appearance notice or promise to appear.

There is nothing wrong with doing this and any other charges proceeded with in this way are still valid.

The advice to seek the assistance of a lawyer is good advice.

Tyler883
01-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Question for anyone that knows:

Is "driving while under a suspension" enforced with a jail sentence or a monetary fine? or both?

How often does someone go to jail on their first offense?

DayGlow
01-06-2005, 01:54 PM
In Alberta if you are found driving while suspended your car is siezed for 30 days and you have to go to court to face a judge. Basically he can can fine you up to $2000 and/or 6 months in jail if it is a provincial suspension. If it is a fedural (drunk driving, criminal conviction) then it can have up to 5 years in jail first offense and there is no limit to fine.. Concidering our legal system I doubt anyone has been sent to jail on a first offense. No idea what the standard fine is though.

Madazo
01-13-2005, 11:14 AM
In Ontario, Driving while suspended is not the same as driving while prohibited...

Suspended = Provincial offense (not criminal)
Prohibited = Federal offence (usually drunk driving and is criminal)