PDA

View Full Version : R6

ramminghard
12-12-2002, 04:57 PM
I am looking into buying an R6 or something equivalent. Not sure whether or not it will be used but it will be fairly new. if anyone could give it a bit of a review or another bike in the same class that would be awesome. Also if anyone knows where to get good deals on bikes or knows of any for sale i would be very interested.

thanks
Matt

RiCE-DaDDy
12-12-2002, 05:02 PM
most bikes performance abilities are beyond majority of all riders so concern yourself really with comfort, looks and driveability.

try other forums like www.sportbikeworld.com or www.sportbikes.net

use the search function or they'll get annoyed if u post something like u did here hehe

MrX
12-15-2002, 03:21 PM
Looks wise:
1. R6
2. GSX-R
3. ZX6-R
4. F4

Comfort:
1. ZX6-R or F4, both have a very nice riding position.
2. R6 (some have told me their issue with the R6 is the low windscreen when riding. They feel like they have to constantly be tucking down on the bike, cos otherwise they'll be fighting the wind.)
3. GSX-R (the tank position makes it so that i have to stretch over it when i'm on the bike).

Again, the best thing to do is go for a ride on the bikes and get a feel for it yourself. Every bike is slightly different for every rider.

ramminghard
12-15-2002, 04:56 PM
where can you take them for a ride

MrX
12-15-2002, 05:09 PM
I used to borrow my friend's bikes. I'm not sure if dealerships let you test ride or not...i'm pretty sure you can, just like test driving a car:dunno:

ramminghard
12-15-2002, 05:13 PM
ok thanks

LaughingTiger
12-16-2002, 07:32 PM
R6 is spose to be a great bike, I would get one, but I like the style of the Gsx-R..:dunno: It's all about style ....:bigpimp:

l/l/rX
01-03-2003, 12:26 AM
r6's are awsome!!! my dad has one, hes always been plannin on putting on a carbon fibre or titanium exhaust on it...but things jes always get in the way of his doings...such as the new car, and parts for the car, but we'll see wut happens this year,
and as far as testing the bikes out, if they have one there thas already been used, they wont take a fresh one off the showroom floor and prep it jes for you to test drive it, unless you really sound like you're goin to be getting it

accordgrrl
01-03-2003, 09:21 AM
My good friends both had R6s and they loved them. I definitely recommend them. Just be careful, that's a lot of power that's gonna be between your legs and I'm not sure if you're used to that!!! :nut: :nut:

l/l/rX
01-03-2003, 04:04 PM
lolz yea...r6 like 100hp er sumthin and the r1's have even mooore..you also have to get some good rubber! for those sharp cornering turns, somthing you can rely on

mrmattyk
01-03-2003, 04:17 PM
I am not sure if Blackfoot Motorsports would let you test drive them or anything. My friend has an R6 and he loves it. The R1 is way too powerful IMO...

I'd have to say the R6 is one of my favorite bikes, although I never drove it. Riding on the bike as a passenger, watching my friend negotiate super fast turning, and watching it take off the line it seems like it can really perform!

Conclusion: fast, responsive comfortable; a generally well performing bike.

bigboom
01-03-2003, 04:32 PM
i used to own a 99 F4...i loved that thing for its rideability even though it wasnt the greatest looking bike.

if i was to reccomend a bike for everday riding that you can ride hard and be comfortable it would be the f4 however if you want a bike that just makes you say wow...then it would have to be the R6, i have spent significant time on the 4 600's out there and the R6 brings the biggest smile to my face. it corners like butter and what can you say about a 15k redline?

the gix has a horrible riding position (feels unstable to me) and the 6r is far behind the rest.

l/l/rX
01-03-2003, 11:04 PM
for 5g more...you can get the R1...:D

2M6
01-04-2003, 09:05 PM
The R1 is very powerful. If you are new to riding stay away from anything more than a used 600. I speak from experience so you can take stock in what I have to say. I started out on a 600 (R6) and I am glad I had the dirt bike experience I did because it was totally different than what I heard/expected. It was fast as $hit!! I still enjoy riding the R6 even when I had my 750 and now a 1000. I have a ton of respect for the 1000 because the 600 tought me a great deal. This is the way to go. Be safe and have fun.

moose_8
01-05-2003, 09:17 PM
i know someone that is selling there r6

marek
01-06-2003, 02:19 AM
how much are they asking??

moose_8
01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
10000 i think and it comes with helmet and gear i think i will get back to you on that though

RiCE-DaDDy
01-06-2003, 07:47 PM
must be pretty new, especially if new r6s go for like 11600

strlen
01-26-2003, 07:49 PM
i've been hearing of a lot of transmission problems with earlier R6's/YZF600R's, so you may look out of it. In fact, I know two people who happen to own those, and both of them have theirs non-operational, due to the same transmission issues.

I've also worked on an R1 that shared the garage on me, and found it to be rather hard to work on. For instance, to get to the starter, we needed to remove the tank, the carbs and the throttle body. Not sure if the R6 is the same way.

I'd personally recomend a Kawasaki ZX6R, or a CBR 600 (F3 is perfect for a begginer as well, despite having a decent amount of power). Get the older, used, non-fuel injected version, and you basically have a bike that you can work on yourself, and that will both last and yield satisfactory performance you won't be bored with.

I haven't ridden the GSXR600, and haven't done any work on it, so I can't vouch for it, but from what I hear, it's excellent as far handling and power both go, yet the seating position may be way too agressive if this going to be your first bike (is it). My GS500E was quite easy to work on, and rather reliable given its mileage, but I can't honestly say that this will have to follow for the GSXR600, due to fact the two are in quite a different ballpark.

strlen
01-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Oh and I second staying away from anything more than a used 600 for a new bike. Even a 600 is stretching it, as far as power goes (modern 600cc bikes have a very aggressive power-to-weight ratio), but if you have a good amount of self-restraint you can control it.

With a GSXR750 and above, Yamaha R1, CBR 900/929/954RR and the like, you will have trouble handling the power, as with that much power, you won't be able to learn fine throttle control. Too much power going into a turn (so that you seem to be going in a straight line rather than turn) -- you hit the brakes -- woops, lowside! Too little power, so you lean too far? Ditto. Save the expensive bike and yourself.

dogstar
01-27-2003, 04:19 AM
id suggest an older kawasaki, a bit heavier, but you usually sit deeper into the bike, as opposed to perching on top of it like the gixxer.

they have plenty enough power to loose your license or cause some stress if you dont respect the bike.

havent ridden an R6, but my old zx6r was an amazingly comfortable bike, especially for the 600 class.
ive toured on that thing, from vancouver to yorkton, sask.
almost up to the NWT border, and down into montana.

ill tell you this much, when i did the trip to yorkton on a borrowed ducatti 948, i barely made it to the sask border before i got back spasms.

kevie88
01-29-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by dogstar
ill tell you this much, when i did the trip to yorkton on a borrowed ducatti 948, i barely made it to the sask border before i got back spasms.

Ducati 948? must be some new ultra rare model!! :D

LaughingTiger
01-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Some guy is selling a YZF 600R on the ground piolets forum... it's a 2001 3,800km's and blue/shite.... $7500 obo

dogstar
01-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Ducati 948? must be some new ultra rare model!! :D

my apologies, i was reading an article about the 998 at the time, i had meant to write 748.

and no i dont own it, i was simply riding it.
great bikes, for a while, but they arent highway cruisers.

bigboom
01-31-2003, 11:38 AM
one thing you might want to watch out for on the R6 is a weak clutch...due to the redline on that bike i dont think yamaha put in a strong enough clutch. ive heard a lot of stories of the clutch blowing up just cuz it couldnt handle it.