PDA

View Full Version : Rx-7 shop?

English_leather
01-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey, I need to know if there is any other place in calgary that can work on rx-7's. Mine seems to have little to no idle. it'll run at about 250 rpm! I tried calling rx-7 specialties, but they seem to be closed...??:dunno: I dunno, anone with some help would be greatly appreciated

civicrider
01-05-2005, 03:49 PM
on bow trail kinda by westbrook mall theres a shop just for rx-7's

alpha
01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
RX-7 specialties is still open.

English_leather
01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
on bow trail kinda by westbrook mall theres a shop just for rx-7's that's rx-7 specialties, I mean ANOTHER shop. That shop was the one that did the rebuild, I just want to know of anyone ELSE, cause I couldn't get thru to them, and i'm not driving all the way down there for nothing...

civicrider
01-05-2005, 04:13 PM
oh i didnt know what it was called just knew they worked on rx-7's

phat97yukon
01-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
on bow trail kinda by westbrook mall theres a shop just for rx-7's

Its on 17th ave and 37th street, there is a esso and a auto value.. thats where rx-7 specialties tucked in the back corner. if your wantin to know right where it is

2.4l
01-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by alpha
RX-7 specialties is still open.
:rofl: god knows why?

English_leather
01-05-2005, 05:14 PM
i dunno man, i really love the rex, but I need some people who are gods with these engines. I know a lot of stuff, but rotaries isn't one of them.

frozenrice
01-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Looks the guy that owns it is making a killing working on RX 7's. I was at the muffler shop next door last spring and there was a silver Lamborghini parked in front of the RX7 shop. When I asked the muffler shop guy about it he said it belonged to the owner of RX7 Specalties.

Geeboy
01-06-2005, 07:42 AM
I know Rx-7 specialties and they are a reputable shop. Who cares how much they make. Adam started from a pit in a back alley and got the contract from Mazda USA to rebuild all their rotaries. That is some dedication.

freakin
01-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Geeboy
I know Rx-7 specialties and they are a reputable shop. Who cares how much they make. Adam started from a pit in a back alley and got the contract from Mazda USA to rebuild all their rotaries. That is some dedication.

I had a friend sent over to them by Kramer Mazda to get a new motor installed in his late 80's B-series pickup. They were still in that back alley back then. I was very impressed with their work, but that was also years ago, and wasn't a rotary. I'd have no reservations about using them.

Chris Ng
01-06-2005, 12:15 PM
they got the contract from mazda usa to rebuild all their rotaries?? laugh.. ooooookkk.....

and they developed their own seals and have secret porting techniques etc etc....

not to you specifically, but in general, I love it when people who have no idea about rotaries can make recommendations to other people concerning shops and what to do with them...

one of the main reasons why rotaries have such a poor reputation is because young kids go buy them, don't know how to maintain them.. they either die on them, or they take them to a shop who claims to know them, spend an arm and a leg then end up dumping them when they still don't work properly...

If you are the only game in an area, you can make alot of money by going on people's lack of knowledge and using misinformation in your favour.. hell you don't even need to know much more than they do, you just have to pretend you do....

By the way, this is just my opinion, and I acknowledge that I am making no accusations pertaining a particular shop.. I certianly wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers of certain people who read this site and start threats of sueing for libel and slander...

alpha
01-06-2005, 06:11 PM
then what the hell was that post about? if you have no comments pertaining to any specific shop or installers or techs, and no previous experience other than you dont like ignorant people. then what have you added to this thread? nobody likes ignorant people. :dunno:

*add on*
and I think what he meant was that they got certified from mazda to work on their engines, ie. work from dealerships.

BBMac
01-06-2005, 07:07 PM
I work for specialties when I can and I can say they are open fulltime right now! there were a few days last week and the week before that that they were closed but call them up cause they are still there!!! for sure!!

JAYMEZ
01-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Hey maybe the haterz , should eat a big " shut the fuck up" , before you start tryin to ruin someones reputation... How about this...

I have a 3rd Gen RX-7 TT , the only person in calgary i would trust with it, is Adam at RX-7 Specialties.

Chris Ng
01-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Hey maybe the haterz , should eat a big " shut the fuck up" , before you start tryin to ruin someones reputation... How about this...

I have a 3rd Gen RX-7 TT , the only person in calgary i would trust with it, is Adam at RX-7 Specialties.

Figureing that there really isn't anyone else in calgary who works on rotaries, and you don't work on your own car (either because you don't have the knowledge or the motivation/time), then it really doesn't mean much that adam is the only person who you trust...

It's kind of funny.. if someone asked about what a good restaurant was to eat, and someone mentioned a place they "heard" was good, and someone who had actually ate there said it was crap; their opinion would be valid.. however, whenever it comes to rx-7 specialties, if we express our opinons on the shop and their work, even though we have had several experiences with their work, we are told to "shut the fuck up" ?.. all of a sudden we are not allowed to express our OPINIONS.. I won't bother getting into this, since this goes quite a bit deeper than this particular thread..

Jaymez, you have expressed your opinions on rx-7 specialties on here and on the rx7club fourms.. you were entitled to them.. nobody ever told you to shut the fuck up and call you an adam leg humper... why am I not allowed to express my opinions?

nubian
01-06-2005, 11:30 PM
go chris, go chris

lol Round 2!

:guns: :burnout:

alpha
01-07-2005, 12:08 AM
if you have a valid point about the shop in question, and have actual events and not just "a friend of a friend" type of evidence. then thats not slander, it would be sharing your experience with people that would have use for it. like if you had a bad experience it might be nice to know for people that plan to deal with them. I personally am considering having them build me an engine and would like to hear feedback on this company. Just dont cut them down without events to back it up.

English_leather
01-07-2005, 03:05 AM
guys, all I want to know is if they are reliable...I think the only way I can find out is going there and talking to him.

BBMac
01-08-2005, 07:20 PM
english leather you are absolutely right! make your decision from there. I can speak from my experiences and my previous employment with rx-7 that Adam is a fair and very knowledgable person. I would encourage you to go and see what you think!! and if you go/ utilize rx-7 specialties services and don't like the results go to him not the boards!!!

nubian
01-08-2005, 07:59 PM
k .. my turn to stick up fer ol' chris, REALLY listen to what he says in his thread.. i know his intention is not to burn anyone but say the truth. if anyone seen round 1 on rx7club.com, you'll know that he went after the idiot in the fight, give you a hint.. it wasnt adam!

RX-7_TWINTURBO
01-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah Chris is a great guy he's always lookin out for his fellow rotorheads. ....Listen to Him.

Hey Nubian long time no see, you get that boost problem Figured out ?

JAYMEZ
01-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ng

Figureing that there really isn't anyone else in calgary who works on rotaries, and you don't work on your own car (either because you don't have the knowledge or the motivation/time), then it really doesn't mean much that adam is the only person who you trust...

It's kind of funny.. if someone asked about what a good restaurant was to eat, and someone mentioned a place they "heard" was good, and someone who had actually ate there said it was crap; their opinion would be valid.. however, whenever it comes to rx-7 specialties, if we express our opinons on the shop and their work, even though we have had several experiences with their work, we are told to "shut the fuck up" ?.. all of a sudden we are not allowed to express our OPINIONS.. I won't bother getting into this, since this goes quite a bit deeper than this particular thread..

Jaymez, you have expressed your opinions on rx-7 specialties on here and on the rx7club fourms.. you were entitled to them.. nobody ever told you to shut the fuck up and call you an adam leg humper... why am I not allowed to express my opinions?

Alright lets do a break down.

First off ,do I work on my own cars , Yes , most defiantly yes ... Have I worked on the rx-7 ? No , not really , apart from installing the exhaust system I bought from RX-7 Spec.
Have I needed to work on my car? Nope, not at all ,everything is sound and there is only 27k Miles on the car.

Second , saying Adam is the only one I trust with the car , hrmm most likley , BUT , the thing is, nothing is wrong with the RX-7 at all , so basically no one has worked on my car but Adam in the past , this meaning the car has been kept and maintained properly by previous owner (Adam).

So Have I done business with RX-7 Spec, yes I have. I have been treated with respect and good customer service and will continue to go back to them if need be.

I have heard tales of some uber crap happening with some peoples RX-7's that were not treated properly by the owner or the owner before them , and then everything was lashed upon the shop. This is lifes story , and this stuff will always happen and people will always blame each other , but you know life must go on.

And yes saying Shut the fuck up was totally uncalled for , but I do stand by my word , and if opionions are to be said , then I can express my opionions about other peoples opionions.

Sorry for confusion there Chris , a bad day at work/school leads to a bad day on posting on beyond :D ...

Sorry for fighing with the RX-7 Brothas :rofl:

nubian
01-14-2005, 01:22 PM
k couple of small things id like to point out.. i bought my car of adam too.. and technically.. he prolly drove the car from where he bought it, to his shop, then home and back to the shop for you to buy it. this is one way i know he makes money.. 90% of rx7's at ZR motors are adams. just so you know he Prolly didnt have much "upkeep" on your car. i could be wrong.. another thing is when i bought my 10AE off him, i had alot of numerous little things that made me lose a little faith in the "his shop". odds are he was not the one who left it there when the hood was closed. found a rag that had been sucked into the airbox, seriously hindering hp. the coolant was so old, that i hurt my engine to the point its gotta be fixed(turbo not fully boosting). and a couple other small things. the rag was an accident.. but for someone that said he went over the car REALLY well before he sold it to me.. he should have known about the coolant and the faulty thermostat. i think earlier in the post you ask for an example or something, this is why im yikin. on the other hand, few years ago i had a '82 and he kept it running great for me! i guess im at the point where i want to do it myself regardless.

to the origonal poster of this thread, go by his shop and talk to him.. there are always good people around there that like what he does for them.. and will more than back him up. one thing that makes sense to me is everytime i go there, there's usually one or 2 people wanting to get prices off him, or pestering him for small stupid stuff, that takes up time and are basically wanting it for free. i can understand a little why he comes off as arogent to some. i drive a roofing truck and am constantly getting harrassed to go fix someones garage shigles for 100$. its freakin anoying.

""And yes saying Shut the fuck up was totally uncalled for , but I do stand by my word""

""Sorry for confusion there Chris""

dont worry, ive said alot of dumb things around the calgary rx7 guys too! and chris never held them against me when i see him face to face. :)

English_leather
01-14-2005, 03:51 PM
ha, I prolly haven't started it in about 2 weeks. I still have to worry about the front end too after I smashed a curb with it. fucking city can't sand streets grrr I hate winter

:guns: icy streets

nubian
01-14-2005, 04:13 PM
OUCH!.. sorry to hear that!

JAYMEZ
01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Doh that sucks , oh well , the ice should be melting they "claim" by next week , but we shall see =) , good luck with the Rx-7