PDA

View Full Version : Geophysics?

BloodBaneZXY
01-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Is anyone enrolled in the Geophysics program? I was thinking of going into engineering, but now I'm also considering this faculty. It seems really appealing to me, but I'm not sure about the job security or availability compared to engineering. Anyone shed some light?

Super_Geo
01-06-2005, 12:32 AM
What is yoru interest in geophys?

It's one of the easier departments of engineering. It has a lot to do with statics, soils and rocks, safety factors, etc. I didn't find it too exciting (but then again I didn't take very many courses on it at all), but hey to each his own.

BloodBaneZXY
01-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Department of engineering? I thought it was in science?

FiveFreshFish
01-06-2005, 01:51 AM
^^^ Correct.

Geology and geophysics are in the Faculty of Science.

Super_Geo
01-06-2005, 03:09 AM
My mistake... I thought geophysics would be the same as geological engineering.

BloodBaneZXY
01-07-2005, 12:29 AM
So..yeah..is anyone enrolled in this program anywhere..or completed this degree? I'm interested in it, but from what I've heard employment opportunities look bleak...anyone?

Nav13
01-08-2005, 12:25 PM
from what ive been told from someone whos in the industry, its kinda like this
200 engineer graduate, and theres 200 jobs
20 geogphysicist's graduate , and theres 20 jobs
as far as pay goes its similar to engineering, now i guess it all depends on what you like doing. Also keep in mind theres no coop program so you will need to do summer jobs, from what ive been told they are not hard to get, just apply really early for them. If anyone has different thoughts please feel free to say where the discrepencies are.

kkcool6
01-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Im currently emplay in the industry and make a decent enought of a living, but if I had to do it all over again I would of gone into engineering instead. Be prepare for lots of math courses etc. Also the job opertunity is very limited. there are only a hand full cities where you can get a job in. For example if you dont like the cold and say wanna move to vancouver well forget it not gonna happen. No oil and gas exploration there so no job prospect. One more thing there is no real job security there, you'll be employ if the oil prices are high but if it drops watch out and get ready to be unemployed!

Given a choice between egineering and geophysics go engineering! I whish I woulda chosen that route!

FiveFreshFish
01-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
as far as pay goes its similar to engineering, now i guess it all depends on what you like doing.

Here are the 2003 APEGGA salary survery figures:

Tables (http://www.apegga.com/members/member_services/salary_survey03/table_index.html)

Figures (http://www.apegga.com/members/member_services/salary_survey03/figure_index.html)

BloodBaneZXY
01-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Hrmmm, job availability seems like a big issue, anyone else know of any other geophysicists in Calgary or close by that make good wages?

Nav13
01-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by kkcool6
Im currently emplay in the industry and make a decent enought of a living, but if I had to do it all over again I would of gone into engineering instead. Be prepare for lots of math courses etc. Also the job opertunity is very limited. there are only a hand full cities where you can get a job in. For example if you dont like the cold and say wanna move to vancouver well forget it not gonna happen. No oil and gas exploration there so no job prospect. One more thing there is no real job security there, you'll be employ if the oil prices are high but if it drops watch out and get ready to be unemployed!

Given a choice between egineering and geophysics go engineering! I whish I woulda chosen that route!

hey kkcool6 what part of the industry are you in?, I heard there are mainly three parts to geophysics
1. collecting data
2. processing data
3. Analyzing data
or something similar along those lines, I was just wondering what are you doing currently and how long have you been working in the industry?

also bloodbane i cant find anywhere on the uofc site if a class is given in spring and summer, could someone help us out, is there some place im not looking?

kkcool6
01-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey, there is generally only two parts

processing data
analyzing data

collecting data are usually done by field technicians who generally do not have a geophysics degree.

Im in the processing data part of this field, if you do go into geophysics try to get into the analyzing aspect the pay is generally alot better. It all depends on how or what you like to do I suppose but analysis is the glory part of this field and is definately where the money is.

Ive been in the industry for over 5years, got my job soon after graduating from the U of C. Its been an interesting caree and ive been fortunate in some respect as its allow me to travel and see alot of whats out there in the world, Ive been happy but wish I could be in a warmer place doing this type of work.

As for classes for spring and summer, I'll be suprise if you could fine any courses in the spring or summer. The geophysics department at the U is pretty small so most courses are only offer once per year per semester. If u intend to go into tis field, then take all the required math and physics courses in the spring and summer and save the remainder of the semester for the core geophysics courses. U will also need to take one complete field geology course too I think so maybe consider doing this too.

Good luck

Nav13
01-11-2005, 02:08 PM
that makes sense about the collecting data part. I was just wondering though, you said it alows you to travel and see parts of the world? I was under the influence that if you go into geophysics you basicaly stuck here in alberta, well for the most part.

kkcool6
01-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Geophysics

In terms of oil and gas exploration, yes you'll be pretty much stuck in Alberta if you want to live in Canada......however if you're able to you can always do minning or environmental geophysics and go somewhere else.......I think?

In terms of other place, Huston Texas, Louisianna (how ever you spell that), Denver in the USA so far that I can think of may be more.

As far as seeing alot of the world, it was mostly the US and it was because I was in charge of all US field operation at one time, so travel alot between here and the US.

Some of my friend in other bigger company has been to Astralia and europe and other parts of the world as well. If you get into a big company that is really good you'll be able to travel......but trust me the excitement wares of really fast then it becomes a job as any other and then you'll learn to hate to have to travel for the company.

Nav13
01-11-2005, 06:39 PM
oh gotcha, thanks for all the help

89coupe
01-11-2005, 07:01 PM
I've been in the Oil and Gas Industry for 11 years and I would say if you wanna work in this industry then Geology would be the most interesting. As for pay I believe Engineers, Geophysicists and Geologists are pretty much on par with each other. With 10 years or more experience you will be well into the 6 figure area.

If you wanna work outside of the Oil & Gas industry then Engineering would be your best bet. If you are choosing among the three mentioned that is.

5abi
03-29-2006, 01:37 PM
looking for a summer job as a GIT, or a student geophysics assistant.

if any one has any openings, or ideas as to how to get these jobs I would really appreciate any help

TimG
03-31-2006, 10:11 AM
dunno about UC, but my alma matter has a geology-physics degree with a co-op option. The catch is that they don't have a strong oil and gas background in the department.

http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/info/regist/calendars/scien/GEO.html

I had a friend who went this route and had a job lined up before graduating and he wasn't even in the co-op stream.

Crymson
04-06-2006, 01:39 PM
This is an old thread, but I'll pipe in.

I'm a geophysicist in Calgary.

I work on the interpretation side of things, I love my job, it's great pay and really satisfying work. I look forward to work, and 5 o'clock comes fast. It's busy and often confusing, because if you're used to always having the right answer, it's never there. Interpretation is 1/4 bullshit, 1/4 science and 1/2 salesmen (convicing folks your first 1/2 can be counted on). The schooling was interesting, but at my university at least, in no way prepared me or gave me a good feel for how much i'd like the job.

Believe it or not, i got into the school because of car stereo, its suprisingly similiar.

I graduated in 2005, and because i had 2 summer student jobs, when i was in school, started working full time permanent right away.

Oil and Gas isn't the only thing to do with a geophysics degree, right now, there are a few companies in Saskatoon hiring for Uranium exploration, which involves alot of fieldwork and time up at the mines.

Once you have some experience, there is alot of opportunity to move internation as well. Which if you're not really attached (kids, wife, etc..) could be a real adventure.

5abi
04-08-2006, 10:33 PM
hey crymson did u grad from calgary??
as well is ur company hiring summer students, i'm 3rd yr, desprate for a summer positoin.

Crymson
04-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey, No I didn't graduate from Calgary.

We do hire alot of summer students, but all the jobs are posted in early September and they're all filled by early November for the following May. You're best bet may be to start knocking on doors and hope somone didn't get all that they needed. I know Devon often posts their summer student positions much later than everyone else, but i have no idea if they did that this year.