PDA

View Full Version : Building New Home - Split-Fridge Question

NickGT
01-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Here's the deal. I am a total n00b to this. I've upgraded my fridge to the Frigidaire GLHS238ZDB. It is a split fridge, with an ice maker/water on the front. I'm being told now I need a water supply line in order for this to work. The house isn't even built yet, so adding that in isn't a problem it just costs money. But is this the only thing that needs to be added to get it up and running? Anyone else have a split-fridge setup?

Oh and I've called the place that deals with my home builder, and where I bought the fridge. Trail Appliances. But my salesman is on holidays, and im waiting for his assistant to call me back.. I just figured I'd inquire to beyond.

nismodrifter
01-06-2005, 02:20 PM
mmm..frigidaire, we have a Gallery stainless fridgidaire in the kitchen..very nice choice. And yes, all it needs is a water line, not what else did you think it would need (flux capacitor ;) :D)?? jus playin foo

what kind of other appliances you getting?

t-im
01-06-2005, 02:23 PM
haah....off topic...but with appliances, i say go all out for your kitchen

get a:

sub-zero sxs fridge or with bottom freezer...panel matched to your kitchen!

a wolf 6 burner range with oven

or a wall integrated microwave/oven unit

and a gaggenau dishwasher..or an entire gannenau kitchen..haha

anyways...

NickGT
01-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
mmm..frigidaire, we have a Gallery stainless fridgidaire in the kitchen..very nice choice. And yes, all it needs is a water line, not sure what else you think it would need (flux capacitor ;) :D)?? jus playin foo

what kind of other appliances you getting?

Just paranoid :D, cause there's the supply line, and then there's a charge to modify the existing plans... So if there's anything else I need, I don't wanna get dinged more than once to change the plans. :thumbsup:

nismodrifter
01-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Better to be paranoid now than playing the "I wish we had done this..." game later :)

Skylinelover
01-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by NickGT

Just paranoid :D, cause there's the supply line, and then there's a charge to modify the existing plans... So if there's anything else I need, I don't wanna get dinged more than once to change the plans. :thumbsup:
Ahh yes the stupid $50 dollar charge (or is it more?) just to add one thing in

NickGT
01-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Skylinelover

Ahh yes the stupid $50 dollar charge (or is it more?) just to add one thing in

$150 :eek:

sputnik
01-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Personally, I wouldnt waste my money. Freezers on fridges dehumidify to keep them from frosting up. Unfortunately this also causes your food to get serious freezer burn. I would just get a big single door style and get a chest freezer for the basement.

Chest freezers are sealed units and dont dry out or burn anything that is in them (given that you dont keep stuff in there for 2 years).

Skylinelover
01-06-2005, 02:54 PM

$150 :eek:
Holy crap. When I built it was 250!

NickGT
01-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Personally, I wouldnt waste my money. Freezers on fridges dehumidify to keep them from frosting up. Unfortunately this also causes your food to get serious freezer burn. I would just get a big single door style and get a chest freezer for the basement.

Chest freezers are sealed units and dont dry out or burn anything that is in them (given that you dont keep stuff in there for 2 years).

While that may very well be right. I've never had a problem with any fridge with a freezer attached. (to the top though - this is my first split).

It's only the girlfriend and I living in the house. A big single door style fridge would most likely never be full, or end up full of crap. Which would end up being a huge pain in the ass all the time. Now there's no running up and down stairs to a chest, everything is all in the same place. It's alot more functional. Plus it looks alot better. It's worth the money in my opinion.

I plan on getting a small chest eventually. But we'll see about that if the need arises.

Originally posted by Skylinelover

Holy crap. When I built it was 250!

Ouch! Well that makes me feel better though :angel:

/////AMG
01-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Yea just the water line and if you're not developing ur basement and u want to in th e future, an du know how it'll be you might as well put in water lines in there aswell, we have plumbing fctures a wate rline for the kitchen and another for the sauna and built our basement a year after our house was built.

NickGT
01-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Yea just the water line and if you're not developing ur basement and u want to in th e future, an du know how it'll be you might as well put in water lines in there aswell, we have plumbing fctures a wate rline for the kitchen and another for the sauna and built our basement a year after our house was built.

Yah our basement isn't developed either. We aren't to sure what we want to do with it. I've already got 2.5 bathrooms in the house, so I dont think I need another in the basement. I think it'll be mostly for storage. Even our washer and dryer are the stackable type, and are located upstairs which is nice.

Thanks for the idea though. I was looking at putting a rough-in for future plumbing down there, totally didnt think about the need for the water line I'd need as well. It's something to think about.

4.5 months until possession as of the last letter we recieved. Framing should be started in the next week.

Lazarus
01-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by t-im
haah....off topic...but with appliances, i say go all out for your kitchen

get a:

sub-zero sxs fridge or with bottom freezer...panel matched to your kitchen!

a wolf 6 burner range with oven

or a wall integrated microwave/oven unit

and a gaggenau dishwasher..or an entire gannenau kitchen..haha

anyways...

My kind of guy. I just picked up a Wolf 4 burner dual fuel range, with a griddle in the middle, Wolf microwave, Wolf hood,JennAir dishwasher with the buttons inside the door, and a JennAir fridge with the freeze on the bottom. Ran me $13,000USD before tax. :eek:

Altezza
01-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Lazarus

My kind of guy. I just picked up a Wolf 4 burner dual fuel range, with a griddle in the middle, Wolf microwave, Wolf hood,JennAir dishwasher with the buttons inside the door, and a JennAir fridge with the freeze on the bottom. Ran me $13,000USD before tax. :eek:

Someone I know allowed his wife to purchase anything she wanted for their new kitchen in their new house. She spent over $50k on the stove, fridge, and dishwasher ALONE. :eek:

Lazarus
01-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

Someone I know allowed his wife to purchase anything she wanted for their new kitchen in their new house. She spent over $50k on the stove, fridge, and dishwasher ALONE. :eek:

Are you serious? Wolf is the best I ever heard of and I dont remember seeing anything over like 10k. I do know some commercial stoves can get like that. Find out what kind of stuff it was. I love to cook so I splurge on the kitchen. We are doing an addition.

sputnik
01-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Wolf ranges are made so that people can say "I own a Wolf" and then everyone can laugh at them and their LV bags in the closet collecting dust. Really, there isnt much technology involved in a gas range (valve to let gas out... and something to light it).

Even the SubZero fridges are over rated too. Instead of spending $5-6k on a SubZero fridge get 2 full size stainless steel Amana's and save $2-3k.

NickGT
01-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Well Trail Appliances didn't return my call :thumbsdow

Anyways I was pretty sure all I needed was the water supply line and some of you verified it, so thanks for the help people. I'll take care of this as soon as weather permits.. Man its shitty out there right now. :guns: Winter

Altezza
01-06-2005, 05:42 PM

Are you serious? Wolf is the best I ever heard of and I dont remember seeing anything over like 10k. I do know some commercial stoves can get like that. Find out what kind of stuff it was. I love to cook so I splurge on the kitchen. We are doing an addition.

I'm not certain of the brand of the items purchased. I never asked and even if I did, I probably wouldn't remember - cooking ain't my thing, LOL. A large portion of the cost was to customize all the faces such that they appeared "camoflouged" with the kitchen cabinets.

2.0turbo
01-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Wolf ranges are made so that people can say "I own a Wolf" and then everyone can laugh at them and their LV bags in the closet collecting dust. Really, there isnt much technology involved in a gas range (valve to let gas out... and something to light it).

Even the SubZero fridges are over rated too. Instead of spending $5-6k on a SubZero fridge get 2 full size stainless steel Amana's and save $2-3k.

Well there may not be a massive amount of technology to these ranges, but there is ALOT put into the research and development of these products. The fittings that they use are solid brass and the burners are solid cast with brass coating. This all makes a massive difference when other companies like Ultraline (Viking) try a sell a "similar" product for the same price. An ultraline range uses the panels as structure, a Wolf has a frame more solid than most cars and panels only for decoration. More flame variation and belive me, the list goes on and on and on as to why Wolf Ranges are the best on the market, forget about price.
Don't even get me started on how much better a sub zero fridge is that a maytag (amana).
As far as the water line goes, builders will soak you for every upgrade, belive me, I work for one. Go to coast appliances, ask for a card for John Mackenzie and have him install the copper pipping afterwards for half the price.

Lazarus
01-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

I'm not certain of the brand of the items purchased. I never asked and even if I did, I probably wouldn't remember - cooking ain't my thing, LOL. A large portion of the cost was to customize all the faces such that they appeared "camoflouged" with the kitchen cabinets.

Yea that costs some dough. Thats why I'm keeping it stainless. Plus when I'm wasted I dont wanna spend all night looking for the fridge to get more beer out of.

NickGT
01-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo

As far as the water line goes, builders will soak you for every upgrade, belive me, I work for one. Go to coast appliances, ask for a card for John Mackenzie and have him install the copper pipping afterwards for half the price.

I was thinking about this. But apparently it'll compromise the warranty on my hardwood floors if something goes wrong and someone else did it.... I'm sure he does fine work, but I think I'll just suck it up, I'm not one to chance things. This way my ass is covered.

nismodrifter
01-06-2005, 06:56 PM

Plus when I'm wasted I dont wanna spend all night looking for the fridge to get more beer out of.

hahahahah never thought about that being a problem :D :rofl:

Tyler883
01-06-2005, 07:28 PM
I also had to get the cupboards raised 2 inches because my fridge would not fit under the standard height for the cupboards.

You are probably fine, but it's worth checking into so there is no suprizes

BTW, the water line was something that I bought as a kit, and installed on my own for next to nothing. I isnt all that hard to drill a hole into your floor (behind the fridge). And, the kit comes with a "needle like valve" that punctures(self sealing) your water line, the good thing about this kind of set up is that it doesn't require any knowledge of plumbing. The kit comes with it's own instructions so you could look at them in the store before you decide if you want to buy one.

JordanLotoski
01-06-2005, 08:17 PM
hey man builders will ding u for everything, i got charged 150 for mine when i built, now iam getting that with my new house along with 250 for a gas line for my stove....ohhh do a gas stove..so much better...good luck..ohh who was your builder and what house

nismodrifter
01-06-2005, 08:33 PM
250 for a gas line man o man that is crazy :eek:, I think we paid maybe $100 for it, could have easily ran it ourselves but couldn't do it becaues of warranty issue. Got lucky with the water line when we built....no extra charge for that from what I can remember. Such a rip off for things like gas lines and stuff but what can you do..

and yes, gas stovez pWN electric, once you switch you will never go back.

JordanLotoski
01-06-2005, 08:48 PM
hahah yeah the 250 includes hook up also.....i blew 8000 today on a few simple things for my new house, they rape u anywhat way they can...like this..they charged me 900 bucks for 2 sidelight windows beside the door...then they charge me 1400 bux to upgrade my shower to a 5x5 tiled..makes no sense at all

to anyone thats buying a new home..let me know...iam a realtor..just taking me in with you u save 2000.00...keep it in mind people...;)

NickGT
01-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
I also had to get the cupboards raised 2 inches because my fridge would not fit under the standard height for the cupboards.

You are probably fine, but it's worth checking into so there is no suprizes

BTW, the water line was something that I bought as a kit, and installed on my own for next to nothing. I isnt all that hard to drill a hole into your floor (behind the fridge). And, the kit comes with a "needle like valve" that punctures(self sealing) your water line, the good thing about this kind of set up is that it doesn't require any knowledge of plumbing. The kit comes with it's own instructions so you could look at them in the store before you decide if you want to buy one.

Heh yah I checked and it should be all good in terms of sizes. I was reading the owners manual and it advices against using self-piercing type shut off valves. It's not rocket science to drill through the floor, but its hardwood and i'd rather have it done professionally (warranty). Anyways im gonna be busy enough putting together furniture and stuff. Thanks for the suggestion though - especially to check the size. It's obvious, but I bet alot of people forget! :thumbsup:

Lazarus
01-06-2005, 09:16 PM

Heh yah I checked and it should be all good in terms of sizes. I was reading the owners manual and it advices against using self-piercing type shut off valves. It's not rocket science to drill through the floor, but its hardwood and i'd rather have it done professionally (warranty). Anyways im gonna be busy enough putting together furniture and stuff. Thanks for the suggestion though - especially to check the size. It's obvious, but I bet alot of people forget! :thumbsup:

Where is your sink in position to the fridge? I think the previous homeowners ran our line through a cabinet and along the wall. Its hard to describe but you cant see it. The new fridge is going to be across from the sink so we'll need to drill a hole but we're doing the floors ourselves.

NickGT
01-06-2005, 09:35 PM

Where is your sink in position to the fridge? I think the previous homeowners ran our line through a cabinet and along the wall. Its hard to describe but you cant see it. The new fridge is going to be across from the sink so we'll need to drill a hole but we're doing the floors ourselves.

Sweet, that'll work well for you since you're doing the floors... I'll have to see how they decide to run the line, but they may do as you have said and run it through the cabinets. My sink and fridge are pretty close. :dunno:

MaximumSpeed
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
I have a split fridge as well. As stated, all you need a water line. We run ours from our reverse-osmosis tank, so if you have a water purification system then you can run the water line from that instead of the main line going to the taps.

And really you can do it yourself, but then you said you have hardwood floors. Just remember to make sure the water line that is going in is of a hard plastic, and not soft/rubbery. Otherwise when the water isn't used, pressure will build up and create a bubble and eventually burst. *hint hint*

And depending where your fridge is in relation to your water pipe or where you sink is, you can run it through drawers perhaps. Ours is on the otherside of room across from the sink, so we had to go through the basement.

Hope this helps.

NickGT
01-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by MaximumSpeed
I have a split fridge as well. As stated, all you need a water line. We run ours from our reverse-osmosis tank, so if you have a water purification system then you can run the water line from that instead of the main line going to the taps.

And really you can do it yourself, but then you said you have hardwood floors. Just remember to make sure the water line that is going in is of a hard plastic, and not soft/rubbery. Otherwise when the water isn't used, pressure will build up and create a bubble and eventually burst. *hint hint*

And depending where your fridge is in relation to your water pipe or where you sink is, you can run it through drawers perhaps. Ours is on the otherside of room across from the sink, so we had to go through the basement.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help I'll definitely take a good look at that after its installed to make sure there wont be any problems. I'm sure they're all pretty professional about it, but thats very good info. It's definitely the hardwood that concerns me.

The fridge we chose has a built in water filtration system. I'm not sure how good it is, so I guess I'll find out. :thumbsup:

nismodrifter
01-06-2005, 10:55 PM
water seems to be pretty good out of it, comes out ice cold and tastes good, ice maker works great. Filter costs like $40 but lasts a long time before it requires changing.

Lazarus
01-06-2005, 11:00 PM
water seems to be pretty good out of it, comes out ice cold and tastes good, ice maker works great. Filter costs like $40 but lasts a long time before it requires changing.

Yea the filter for my fridge suppose to last a year the guy said but I think its dependent on the water in your area.

NickGT
01-06-2005, 11:01 PM

Awesome good to hear! Yah this is gonna be sweet. Filtered water, crushed or cubed ice, ahhhh heaven... :angel: The model we have has the filter at the top in the front, very easy to take out and replace. Even has the indicator light on the front. I think it'll work out great! :thumbsup:

frozenrice
01-06-2005, 11:09 PM
I have a split fridge (aka side by side). Nice thing about them is if you're taller you don't have to stoop down to see what's in there. As far as your fridge goes, an electrical outet is also obisously required but should be included with the base house anyways. Just make sure that the cabinet company is aware of the size this fridge is so that they can make sure that they leave enough of a opening for the fridge to fit.

BTW- some of you think that builders are out to rip you off, but in reality, some of the prices that I've seen people spouting off here are not too unreasonable. There are explanations behind most of these prices.

NickGT
01-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
I have a split fridge (aka side by side). Nice thing about them is if you're taller you don't have to stoop down to see what's in there. As far as your fridge goes, an electrical outet is also obisously required but should be included with the base house anyways. Just make sure that the cabinet company is aware of the size this fridge is so that they can make sure that they leave enough of a opening for the fridge to fit.

BTW- some of you think that builders are out to rip you off, but in reality, some of the prices that I've seen people spouting off here are not too unreasonable. There are explanations behind most of these prices.

Thanks, I'll talk to the salesman at the showhome possibly tomorrow or on the weekend. But I'm pretty sure it'll fit nicely into the blueprinted opening. I had the dimesions and measured with a tape at the showhome which is essentially the same and it was all good..

I'm not bent over paying the 150 dollar change of plans. That's fine. I just dont wanna get dinged more than once. Thats my concern. I'll definitely have a second look and measure up the opening. It might still be a good idea to contact the contractors doing the cabinets and make sure its all gonna work... Thanks for the tip again!

nismodrifter
01-06-2005, 11:26 PM
definately want to make sure your fridge fits where its supposed to go....ours JUST fit...and I mean JUST JUST JUST fit...it is literally squeezed in there. Half an inch tighter and it wouldn't have fit. Good to double/triple check these things now before shit happens later :D

FiveFreshFish
01-07-2005, 06:58 PM
I have a Subzero over-under (freezer on the bottom) and I'll never go back to regular or side-by-side fridge again.

Nothing looks better than a built-in. :)

http://www.subzero.com/subzero/subzeroimages/xl650.jpg

t-im
01-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I have a Subzero over-under (freezer on the bottom) and I'll never go back to regular or side-by-side fridge again.

someone who agrees with me!!! :)

for kitchens, besides the supposide "better-ness" of sub-zero's, they just look so much better then standalone fridges....and make your whole kitchen look nicer, classier and more "professional"
hahah

NickGT
01-07-2005, 07:27 PM
:drool: :drool:

Well that's definitely something to work towards. That looks incredible! This is my first house. So in time, I'd love to upgrade to something like that. Right now I'd like to give the split-fridge a try. Perhaps in the next house I'll go with something like that if I can afford to. Damn nice! :thumbsup:

frozenrice
01-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Sub-zees are expensive. If I remember, they start around $5000 and up. Unless you're rich like Freshfish there, you'd have to upgrade the other kitchen stuff just to keep up with the fridge (ie. cabinets, countertops, plumbing fixtures etc). I can tell you that the average kitchen cabinet package alone is only about $3-4000. If you're gonna spend that much on a fridge you'd better make sure the rest of the kitchen is up to snuff. It's kind of like spending $110,000 for a Porsche and living in a house with no garage.
NickGT, for a first house, you have selected a fine fridge. Some people who are buying/building for the first time have enough trouble coming up with down payment money yet alone being able to get anything fancy. Sub-z, Wolf, Grohe, Kohler, Miele (to name a few manufacturers) etc are all nice products, but they're more for bragging rights than function.

Lazarus
01-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Thats nice but my Sub-Zero would have been the one with the glass door:

http://www.subzero.com/subzero/subzeroimages/l611G.jpg

forkdork
01-08-2005, 12:52 AM
UGH looks ugly, then you see all the rotting stuff in your fridge ;)

t-im
01-08-2005, 12:57 AM

Thats nice but my Sub-Zero would have been the one with the glass door:

http://www.subzero.com/subzero/subzeroimages/l611G.jpg

glass subzero's are hard to pull off unless you don't have alot of food or have everything nicely organized all the time...or if you just have bottles of wine in it (if it was the wine fridge)

Lazarus
01-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by t-im

glass subzero's are hard to pull off unless you don't have alot of food or have everything nicely organized all the time...or if you just have bottles of wine in it (if it was the wine fridge)

Yea. Thats what my wife was saying but I was just thinking about how pimp a glass door fridge is.

/////AMG
01-08-2005, 11:42 AM

Yah our basement isn't developed either. We aren't to sure what we want to do with it. I've already got 2.5 bathrooms in the house, so I dont think I need another in the basement. I think it'll be mostly for storage. Even our washer and dryer are the stackable type, and are located upstairs which is nice.

Thanks for the idea though. I was looking at putting a rough-in for future plumbing down there, totally didnt think about the need for the water line I'd need as well. It's something to think about.

4.5 months until possession as of the last letter we recieved. Framing should be started in the next week.

Sounds good, it seems like you plane to live in this house for over 10 years. Because if you are only planning to live for a while, don't make it too much just for you. Got to think about future buyers because if you have something only you would have in your house, don't bother. It'll be a very weak selling point. But it seems like you’re not going that route. Good luck with the house. Make sure you visit the site as often as you can (everyday if possible, they get so much done in a day). This will also let you spot any mistakes you think are forming.

When we built our house there was quite a few some electrical, luckily we contacted the developer before anything else happened.

One of my dad's friends built a house with some company (I forget) and he never ever went to the site and they ended up building his house on a different lot! :eek: But he finally got stuff sorted out with the builders after months!

2.0turbo
01-08-2005, 05:30 PM
[i]

to anyone thats buying a new home..let me know...iam a realtor..just taking me in with you u save 2000.00...keep it in mind people...;) [/B]

Nope. In fact it will hinder your negotiating tactics. Think about it. Now the builder has to pay out 3.5% on the first 100k and 1.5% on the second 100k plus 1%(I think) on everything after 200k. How is that going to help? Not only that but the new home rep will have his/her commission cut so what is in it for them to close the deal? So instead of one commission to be paid, now the builder is paying 2. How does that lower the price? The builder sells a house with a price based on making a certain percentage and now that approx. $6000 extra is going out, it does not help reduce the price. If you want $2000 off, ask for it.

frozenrice
01-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Not to mention that its unfair to the new homes sales rep. Think about it this way, most builders employ sales reps on a full time basis, meaning that the reps do nothing else but represent the builder. This means that they dedicate all their time selling for that builder only. This includes manning the showhome, working with the customer to finalize paperwork (contracts, plan revisions, colour selections, ironing out changes, fixing anything that might be wrong during the build, finalizing the mortage, working with lawyers etc.). They basically work with the customer for the 6 month duration of the build.
In most cases where a realtor is involved, the realtor more-or-less comes in, introduces the customer to the builder to initiate the deal and then walks away once they get their split of the commission. I've seen many times too where if the realtor does stick around during the process, they end up making things worse because they don't understand that the building process is different that just reselling an existing home.

NickGT
01-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG

Sounds good, it seems like you plane to live in this house for over 10 years. Because if you are only planning to live for a while, don't make it too much just for you. Got to think about future buyers because if you have something only you would have in your house, don't bother. It'll be a very weak selling point. But it seems like you’re not going that route. Good luck with the house. Make sure you visit the site as often as you can (everyday if possible, they get so much done in a day). This will also let you spot any mistakes you think are forming.

When we built our house there was quite a few some electrical, luckily we contacted the developer before anything else happened.

One of my dad's friends built a house with some company (I forget) and he never ever went to the site and they ended up building his house on a different lot! :eek: But he finally got stuff sorted out with the builders after months!

:eek: Wow built on the wrong lot! Talk about wh00ps! No I visit it very regularly, taking photo's, video, etc... Its so much fun watching it get built.

While I'm not sure how long we'll be there honestly (3-5 years or more??), I've been pretty careful picking out upgrades that not only suit the house, but suit our budget and won't break the bank. We've definitely taken into account future planning, not only for ourselves, but for a future sale of the house. (IE: Structured wiring package). It's going to be a very nice first house. The basement might be developed at some point, or a portion of it. Its large, but not large enough to do anything really crazy with. Another bathroom could fit down there, but then you'd be left with a pretty small room... Kinda pointless, and would serve better for storage, or maybe a rec room/storage room with the weights/benchpress etc going in there for now.