PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Poll

CryoCarnage
01-06-2005, 06:14 PM
I was just wondring what i should get for my son. He'll be turning 18 in 3 years and im thinking of Importing a car for him for his 18th birthday. I want to make his BDay special so please check it out. Thx.

Comments are welcome about these cars. and that whole Toyota only thing, my uncle officially owns a Dealership at georgetown so i figure he can get me parts for cheap.

GT2NV
01-06-2005, 07:19 PM
lucky kid!:eek:

Redlyne_mr2
01-06-2005, 07:32 PM
No offense to you man but buying your son a car with that much power at such a young age is a bad idea. Id buy him some lessons at the track or a less powerful car until he's a little older.

method
01-06-2005, 07:42 PM
I agree.. you're nuts

buy him a corolla :burnout:

Weapon_R
01-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Worst mistake you can make is buying your son a car like that at an early age.

Having a 20 thousand dollar car handed to a first time adult is a recipe for arrogance and disaster.

5.9 R/T
01-06-2005, 07:55 PM
This is not meant as a flame, but you would seriously buy your son a better car then what you drive? :confused:

90Tegra
01-06-2005, 08:09 PM
i hope my parents do somethin close to that for ma 18th bday:banghead:

But i agree with everyone else u should just give him ur pontiac :rofl:

GTS Jeff
01-06-2005, 08:15 PM
u guys are giving good advice but also being assholes for telling someone how to parent their own kids..

id say the gt4 because its the most "unique" car on the list. however, do keep in mind that unless your kid is some freak of nature, then he, like most high school kids, will be stupid with a vehicle. by stupid i mean sliding into curbs while messing around at best, or killing him and 3 friends in a high speed accident at worst.

1badPT
01-06-2005, 08:24 PM
turbo mister two

and what everyone else said...

A_3
01-06-2005, 08:52 PM
I've always loved the MK4 supra's. I would suggest that one, but personal opinion. I'm sure you could figure out which car he prefered without giving your plan away. However I agree with the rest of the posters, giving an 18 year old a car with that much power is probably not the best idea. I am personally 18 and consider myself on the mature side for my age and I get in enough trouble with my 100hp civic. It doesn't mean he's a dumb kid, or that he's a bad driver, he's simply 18. I'm no parent, so I can't tell you how to raise your son but the way my parents went about it was they handed me down an old car they had been saving when I was around 16 and a 1/2. A car I could screw up in and learn to drive properly etc... I never really had respect for that car because I didn't pay for it and wasn't truely responsible for it. Just before I turned 18 that car died and my parents loaned me the money to buy a newer car to last me for a few years. I'm still learning to be a good driver but now when I screw up it hurts alot more because it's coming out of my pocket. Through all this I have discovered the responsibility of owning/operating a vehicle. Anyways sorry for the novel, just sharing my experiences.

Z_Fan
01-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Hahahah...

This is funny.

habsfan
01-06-2005, 09:33 PM
If you're truly set on buying him one of those three, my vote goes for the gt-four. but please consider buying him a less powerful beginner car, like others have said. you have to learn how to walk before you can run.

CalgarySupra
01-06-2005, 09:34 PM
i dont know what the big fuss is. i got my supra back when i was 16 when the car was only 6 years old or so and bought it with my own money, i still have it today 7 years later. it doesnt take a registered adult to know if you drive like an idiot without knowing how the car will react or something that it will cause an accident.

if your son is not into the trashy party/drinking and driving scene then get him any car. a supra is not different then any other car, it still needs to be operated in safe manner

pr0
01-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I would like to see his sons face after reading this thread. :rofl:

GTS Jeff
01-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySupra
i dont know what the big fuss is. i got my supra back when i was 16 when the car was only 6 years old or so and bought it with my own money, i still have it today 7 years later. it doesnt take a registered adult to know if you drive like an idiot without knowing how the car will react or something that it will cause an accident.

if your son is not into the trashy party/drinking and driving scene then get him any car. a supra is not different then any other car, it still needs to be operated in safe manner meh being a teenager a lot of the stupid shit i did while driving didnt involve alcohol, it just involved being a dumb knob that didnt really know any better.

it was mainly cutting people off like an idiot, trying to get 4 car lengths ahead by passing on merging lanes, or just driving 140 down residential streets...

i think im pretty lucky to have made it thru those 2 years of driving without hurting myself or anyone else before smartening up.

max_boost
01-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
Hahahah...

This is funny. And to boot, it's 3 years from now. :eek: :rofl:

CryoCarnage
01-06-2005, 11:07 PM
Thx for your feedback guys. i guess it is sort of weird do buy him something with that much hp out from the factory. Then again, maybe he'll rememebr this when i get old and buy me a car someday. i can only hope.

Ashkente
01-07-2005, 04:48 AM
I'd cross the GT-Four off the list immediatly, just for the fact that It'd likely be the most expensive to maintain. The other two have a decent amount of USDM parts (and easier to source too), and would be simpler to maintain if he does his own maintainence.

ex1z7
01-07-2005, 07:05 AM
I would have killed myself with a gt-4, supra, mr2... I had a Stanza to start with, and now an accord - not much damage I can do in either of those cars.. but if I had started driving on a fast car I'd probably be wrecked right now :|

I'd say give him the Celica GT-S you have there :P If you don't mind parting with it :) Buy yourself a GT-4 / supra / mr-2 instead :P.

I've seen so many people drive around with RWD 200hp cars with their g2 licenses when I was in Australia, every recess, lunch break, morning and after school, at least 3 people were doing burnouts or something stupid.

Throw him the Celica :P Thats my vote.

86max
01-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by pr0

:rofl:
I'd be so mad haha Anti-Beyond for life lol.
Then 3 or 4 years down the road he'd realize it was in his best interests.

Anyways, to answer the question, I'd say gt-four;)

civicrider
01-07-2005, 10:39 AM
MR2 Turbo all the way

brandon
01-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Why would you start talking about this now, You say your son is turning 18 in 3 years?!? Does he even have his license yet? Wait till you see what his driving habit's are and how many ticket's he gets! You got a long time to think this about man.

sputnik
01-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Get him a Saturn... in three years you could pick one up for under a grand

That will also teach him a good lesson in "the REAL costs of keeping a car running".

sputnik
01-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by pr0

How about the look on CryoCarnage's face after his son wraps the car around a lamp post and isnt upset because its not like HE had to pay for the car or anything.

George_Reyes
01-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Get him this bad boy

http://img59.exs.cx/img59/6359/dsc019302hn.jpg

http://img59.exs.cx/img59/1032/dsc017387ll.jpg

http://img59.exs.cx/img59/7177/dsc017406nc.jpg

CryoCarnage
01-07-2005, 11:37 AM
heh that looks like am old stang with a toyo engine :dunno:

George_Reyes
01-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
heh that looks like am old stang with a toyo engine :dunno:

yep. wonder who would do that. hear some turbo v6 when your expecting the american muscle car.

MidnightDreamer
01-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Dude... your son is one lucky guy... I just turned 19 a few months ago... I can't really say anything about you being crazy to give your son a car with that kind of power... Every person is different, and I'm assuming that you must have a huge amount of trust for your son to be handing over this kind of power to him... My thought is that if you have power like that, it will be a huge excercise of will to use this power responsibly... That kind of power would be tempting to use in so many different situations. The car that my parents are letting me use right now is a protege, and being a teen of course I've done my fair share of stupid fun things, it's just teen nature and car culture. Of course I've had some pretty scarry experiences with driving, but a driver can only grow through these kinds of experiences. But then again if you just know that your kid isn't like that, and that he has a natural respect for the road, other human beings, and nature. Then who am I say anything... Even after having driven 3 years... I still haven't toned down some stupid habbits... which I picked up from my dad lol... I truly feel that I won't really be a responsible driver until I'm at least 25. Anyways, good luck with the car, I'm for the GT4 btw.

A_3
01-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MidnightDreamer
Of course I've had some pretty scarry experiences with driving, but a driver can only grow through these kinds of experiences.

or kill themselves....

Sorath
01-08-2005, 01:03 AM
wow, can i apply to become your son? im interested

dj_honda
01-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by George_Reyes

yep. wonder who would do that. hear some turbo v6 when your expecting the american muscle car.

*cough* inline six *cough*

Toms-SC
01-08-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
Hahahah...

This is funny.

Originally posted by max_boost
And to boot, it's 3 years from now. :eek: :rofl:

ahhahahaha :D

Black Gts
01-08-2005, 01:50 AM
ya, just to add my 2cents. i got my 90 gts at 18. with a loan. i made it a week and jumped a curb. completely my fault, 2 grand in repairs. then i realized how dumb it was. but this was my 4th car.(no wrecks) and i forgot how to drive. so you dont have too be a bad driver, just a little lapse in judgement can make you look like one. just thought id share my experience, but with that said as a gts driver, id go for the gt4:nut: , but best of luck with your decision.

max_boost
01-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Young driver, 16, male, fast car, = recipe for disaster. Yes we all go through it, yes these experiences make you a better driver, but really, it's unnecessary to go through all that. I sure regret driving like an absolute idiot. We all do.

My brother is turning 16 next July and I was thinking about giving him my RSX-S, instead, he'll be driving an automatic civic/corolla as his first car. It's only appropriate. He can move up to a nicer car if he's ticket/accident free for a few years.

d-UNiT
03-24-2005, 08:37 PM
i wish i had a bigger brother with a heart of gold to give me an rsx type s.. my adoption papers are in the mail, just get you're parents to sign on the dotted lines :)

Inthered
03-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
meh being a teenager a lot of the stupid shit i did while driving didnt involve alcohol, it just involved being a dumb knob that didnt really know any better.

it was mainly cutting people off like an idiot, trying to get 4 car lengths ahead by passing on merging lanes, or just driving 140 down residential streets...

i think im pretty lucky to have made it thru those 2 years of driving without hurting myself or anyone else before smartening up.

You still drive like that foo!:rofl:

VIP_style
03-27-2005, 10:27 AM
If you're going to import a car get him a 3rd gen RX7 non-turbo. Very nice car and reasonable price

GTS Jeff
03-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Inthered

You still drive like that foo!:rofl: haha this is coming from the guy who knows all the good corners around his neighborhood? :rofl: