PDA

View Full Version : wireless router help

wildrice
01-07-2005, 12:37 AM
okay, here's the deal

my internet connection was perfectly fine
signal strength was excellent, and then all of the sudden i get disconnected.

i try to search and reconnect to my connection but no luck so i restart

then i was able to see it and connect to it, but the signal strength is low

the router is right in the next room

and now i can't connect to it at all

any suggestions

btw i do have a wep

GucciBoy
01-07-2005, 12:53 AM
hahaha siht, same thing for me tonight and just started tonight after I updated my filmware to the router. God damn US Robotics, the manual is useless, no help. I tried resetting my modem, then my router, and nothing. It keeps saying "aquiring IP" then a popup will say, it is having difficulty, limited connectivity, blah blah blah. When I was able to connect after updating the filmware tonight, it was yes super slow, just like what you are experiecing.

Wireless technical troubleshooting is not one I am experienced in. Someone plz come help.

US Robotics blows!

wildrice
01-07-2005, 01:03 AM
nm, just went back to normal suddenly on it's own

hahaha
weird

mods u can close this if u want

GucciBoy
01-07-2005, 01:12 AM
ya got mine up, wierd. Wireless routers can suck sometimes.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-07-2005, 01:31 AM
it could be interference, like from a cordless phone

wildrice
01-07-2005, 01:41 AM
okay my signal i snow excellent
but i've got a new problem now

every 5-10 min, it's disconnects me
and tells me that there are more than one signals i can connect to
wtf?

Ashkente
01-07-2005, 03:54 AM
If you're running SP2, View Available Networks, Change Advanced settings, Wireless Networks tab, remove all the networks you don't want your machine to automatically connect to. I've seen this a few times where some neighbours wireless "interferes" with your own, just by the fact that your machine will sometimes connect to their network automatically.
The other thing to do if that's not the case, is make sure you have the latest drivers for your client card (especially with Broadcom hardware...the drivers that shipped with my laptop disconnected all the time for no reason with my USR router/AP as well.)

GucciBoy
01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente
If you're running SP2, View Available Networks, Change Advanced settings, Wireless Networks tab, remove all the networks you don't want your machine to automatically connect to. I've seen this a few times where some neighbours wireless "interferes" with your own, just by the fact that your machine will sometimes connect to their network automatically.
The other thing to do if that's not the case, is make sure you have the latest drivers for your client card (especially with Broadcom hardware...the drivers that shipped with my laptop disconnected all the time for no reason with my USR router/AP as well.)

I am using USR too and had the same problem, but fixed it last night. I dont know how, but after 45mins of fiddling around the popups I completely re-installed the router from the network properties and then renamed it as "2". So now it works lol. I dont know why that did it. But whatever.

But this router is gay. USR support is even worse. I cant even encrypt mine, wierd.

GucciBoy
01-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy

I am using USR too and had the same problem, but fixed it last night. I dont know how, but after 45mins of fiddling around the popups I completely re-installed the router from the network properties and then renamed it as "2". So now it works lol. I dont know why that did it. But whatever.

But this router is gay. USR support is even worse. I cant even encrypt mine, wierd. My old drivers worked better than the new one

wildrice
01-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Yea, i thought it was funny cuz i did that, i removed all of their connections off of the list and it was still doing it.

However, i changed my channel from 6 to 1, and now i'm good, thanks for everyone's help.