PDA

View Full Version : Considering A Tiburon

Barking_Spidre
01-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Hey guys,

When I'm out of SAIT and start my electrician apprenticeship, I hope to get a new car. I am looking at a Tiburon Tuscani probably 2003 or 2004. I'm not sure if they are lemons, or realiable cars. Does anyone have any opinions or information/personal stories?

If I don't get that car, or if I change my mind, I'm deciding between the Tiburon or like a 2000 Prelude SH, with the VTEC. I'm looking for a car that I can make look very nice, and get up to a reasonable speed. Not like 11-12 seconds, but quick. The price difference would be quite a lot. Tiburon = ~20k, and the Lude would be what? 12k I think?

Thanks for any opinions. :thumbsup:

Weapon_R
01-07-2005, 12:56 AM
I'd rather have a 2000 Honda (insert anything here) than a 2005 Hyundai (insert anything here).

A790
01-07-2005, 01:01 AM
the 2003 Tiburon GT's and up are decent cars. Just don't buy from Calgary Hyundai Suzuki... you'll get screwed.

1badPT
01-07-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm not much of a fan of either brand, nor am I much of a fan of FWD but if I had to pick between a Lude and the Tiburon Tuscani, I'd go with the Tiburon. Especially if you're mainly after something that looks good and is decently quick - I think the new Tibs look great while the Lude looks plain. If you're looking to mod it though the Lude has a better aftermarket, you'd save ~$8,000 off the price and it has VTEC yo :tongue:

Barking_Spidre
01-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I'd rather have a 2000 Honda (insert anything here) than a 2005 Hyundai (insert anything here).
So in other words you'd think the prelude was better? Care to elaborate? Not being offensive, just doing some research, before i spend alot of cash.

Originally posted by 1badPT
you'd save ~$8,000 off the price and it has VTEC yo

ya that's another thing I was considering, the money part. Is it easy to turbo a prelude? A noob question but I had to ask sometime.

George_Reyes
01-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre

So in other words you'd think the prelude was better? Care to elaborate? Not being offensive, just doing some research, before i spend alot of cash.

ya that's another thing I was considering, the money part. Is it easy to turbo a prelude? A noob question but I had to ask sometime.

It's as hard as any other car however, the tiburon would be even harder. Preludes have turbo kits, not too sure about the tiburon.

ex1z7
01-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Theres turbo tiburon kits out there, but the prelude is MUCH easier to find. For the price of the Tuscani you could have a turbo 'lude and still have money left if you're looking at spending 20g :)

My brother in law has an '01 Tiburon SE. Only Tiburon I like but it's not quick at all ... I'd say go Prelude.

Aleks
01-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Supercharge the V6 Tiburon and it will haul serious ass. You will have a tough time finding a 2000 prelude for 12K. I would get a new V6 Tiburon over the Prelude if I were to keep my mods fairly light (i/h/e). If you want FI, well then Honda products are cheaper/proven in this dept because of more support! Take both out for a spin and see what you think!

sabad66
01-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Prelude for sure. I think there are a few 5th gen Prelude owners on this site who daily drive boosted Preludes.

ehos
01-07-2005, 10:54 AM
5G Preludes are NOT mod friendly. You can put the BS (no-HP) mods on them (which do nothing). And if you try to turbo it, good luck (ie, it will need engine mods, and it's NOT bolt on).

I would read up on people that have made mods to virgin 5G's and toasted their engines.

George_Reyes
01-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by ehos
5G Preludes are NOT mod friendly. You can put the BS (no-HP) mods on them (which do nothing). And if you try to turbo it, good luck (ie, it will need engine mods, and it's NOT bolt on).

I would read up on people that have made mods to virgin 5G's and toasted their engines.

Theres a guy on this forum with a purple prelude and he is running on stock internals just fine. Has a bolt on kit.

Barking_Spidre
01-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Awesome, thanks for the information/opinions.

The http://shop.hyundaiperformance.com/shop/cat.php?c=5 site has a couple turbo/super chargers for the new tiburons.

Weapon_R
01-07-2005, 11:54 AM

Bingo. Proven Honda reliability and quality, along with Honda's flagship sportscar model would sell me. The Tiburon's POOR resale value, sketchy Hyundai past, and no real defining factors other than price really make me wonder about buying one.

'93 SR-V
01-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I think you'll have a hard time finding a 2000 prelude for 12g's. My friend just sold his for around 20. But if you can, I'd say go for the prelude. Tiburons are harder to mod (if you're looking to go that way), and like weapon r said, they have very poor resale value. Stock preludes can be boosted safely so long as you don't go nuts (say 6lbs on stock internals). You could bolt on a JR supercharger for around 5 g's?

Barking_Spidre
01-07-2005, 02:25 PM
The 12 Grand was just a guess, I had only glanced at them once or twice, and I remember seeing one for that price, but maybe not the SH model. Thanks '93 SR-V, When I get the new car, whichever it is, I'll be doing the looks first, like body kit, new paint, rims, then onto forced induction and other stuff like that.

I shoulda made this a poll.. hehe too late.

EDIT: just searched up 2k preludes in alberta.. Ya I was way off with my guess, hahaha. They are going around 20-23k. So it'd be the same price for both cars, give or take a couple g's.

legendboy
01-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Considering A Tiburon

Reconsider :thumbsup:

rockym20
01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
I've got a first gen. Tib and am very happy with it. Reasonably reliably, considering the mileage (around 240K), nice looking, nice handling, cheap on gas and not many people own them. If you are looking at a 3rd gen and don't have a lot of $ for aftermarket parts, get the V6. The I4 isn't much different than the one in my car (a '97), but the Tib has gotten much bigger and heavier since then. You won't be happy with the stock performance of the I4. I think the Prelude is a nice car, but overrated and overpriced - you can find a used, low-mileage BMW Z-3 or 3-series coupe (for example) that is much better looking and likely hasn't been thrashed for the same price.

Barking_Spidre
01-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

Reconsider :thumbsup:

Explain. :thumbsup:

joseph
01-07-2005, 03:10 PM
http://www.rippmods.com/products/products_list_details.asp?menuid=3&productId=107

A tiburon would have the advantage of being unique.:thumbsup:

1badPT
01-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Personally I think the Tib Tuscani looks great stock - no need for a bodykit (but then I'm not much of a fan of bodykits anyways).

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/hyundai/tiburon/100341162/researchlanding.html?tid=edmunds.n.prices.subnavheader..2.Hyundai*

pyro
01-07-2005, 03:41 PM
i have an 01 tib and i love it havent had any problems. i thought about getting one of newer ones but i didnt really like the body styling of them i prefer the 2nd gen models just my opinion anyways. Even though hyundai has its problems in the past im pretty confident in them now seems like they got their act together so far. As for the lude i dunno its a nice car but you see them everywhere and it would be more unique to see a moded tuscani (tiburon) then a moded lude. head to newtiburon.com for any advice on the 05's

Sorath
01-08-2005, 01:09 AM
i say get an ITR, ludes are nice but ITR def stands out

nubian
01-08-2005, 01:27 AM
didnt bother to read most of yer thread.. but had to get my 2 bits in! well equipt rx-8 is less than 450/month leased(prolly for the best) ive tooken one for a test drive and i know its ina differ league, but damn they are nice!

Khyron
01-08-2005, 04:59 PM
If you're going to keep it for 5-10 years, the tiburon would be fine (takes resale out of the equation), plus you have huge warranty. Be aware that they are not very fast and the backseat is almost unusable but I like the looks. If you think you will flip it in a few years, pick something else.

People that still crap on Hyundai quality are still living in the 80s.

Khyron

Chim
01-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Have you considered the Acura RSX?
Just skimming through the Auto Trader right now I see some going for 19g's, and it's the same vehicle class as your two choices.

George_Reyes
01-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Tibs have shitty resale value.

90Tegra
01-08-2005, 08:50 PM
if i were you i'd get a 2001 gsr, and i don't think u can find a 2000 lude for 12k

Barking_Spidre
01-09-2005, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
and i don't think u can find a 2000 lude for 12k
Haha ya, I mis-read something I was looking at a while ago.

I don't care about the re-sale value, cause I plan to keep the car for 5+ years. I never considered the RSX, not sure If I quite like the looks of them.

90Tegra
01-09-2005, 10:20 AM

I don't care about the re-sale value, cause I plan to keep the car for 5+ years. I never considered the RSX, not sure If I quite like the looks of them.

I never said RSX... go for a gen3 integra and preferably go with the 2001 INTEGRA GSR, You could probably find one down there 4 like 19k

Barking_Spidre
01-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra

I never said RSX... go for a gen3 integra and preferably go with the 2001 INTEGRA GSR, You could probably find one down there 4 like 19k

I know, Chim did.

FiveFreshFish
01-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Resale value should always be a factor, even 5+ years down the road.

SilverBoost
01-10-2005, 12:26 AM
This is my friends Tib. He's got a Turbo Kit in it now. This car is absolutely amazing IMO. Lambo orange with shaved handles. He's got full interior in it now as well.

Even those who don't like tibs can't deny this is a clean ride.

http://nftunerz.punkmac.com/gary/000_0024.JPG

morningla
01-10-2005, 12:43 AM
This is my car. So i vote for a Tib... http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/548000-548999/548642_31.jpg (http://www.cardomain.com/id/wilfred)

Hyundai biggest weakest is resale value in the 1st yr. That will be oksince you are keeping your car for over 5 yrs. It depends on what you want, which car looks better to you? are u gonna do just engine mod or just exterior? check out all avaliable bodykits and upgrades. If you have money, any car can go fast.

Check out NewTiburon.com (http://www.newtiburon.com)

Tiburons are more unique but Perludes probably are more reliable. Tibs have only been out since 1997.

Khyron
01-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Resale value should always be a factor, even 5+ years down the road.

Why? The real difference in depreciation between makes is really in those first few years and even with domestics less of a gap than it used to be.

Khyron

eblend
01-12-2005, 12:29 AM
i would go with a v6 stick tib
i personally think its an awsome car, and if i was to buy a car right now, i would get that, but my grand am is going strong so i won't be buying a car for a long time *knock on wood*, but if i was, tib would definately be my pick...what else can u buy that fairly fast yet it not seen on every second parking spot like....no need to mention here, you get the idea

topher91
01-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Well I just quickly looked up the some specs of both cars of the net....

Tib: 172hp V6 181tq 3015lbs
Lude: ~190hp I4 156tq 2954lbs

I personally like the look of the Tib a lot. I also like the Lude. If the Tib didn't put out such shitty #'s to start with, I'd choose the Tib, but for performance and not so bad looks, I'll go Lude.

Kamen
01-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
This is my friends Tib. He's got a Turbo Kit in it now. This car is absolutely amazing IMO. Lambo orange with shaved handles. He's got full interior in it now as well.

The color is blinding. How do you open the doors then?

Euro_Trash
01-12-2005, 02:54 PM
door poppers

otto
01-12-2005, 03:55 PM
tibs are hurt

otto
01-12-2005, 03:55 PM
:confused: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

pyro
01-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by otto
tibs are hurt

Originally posted by otto
:confused: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Tibs are Amazing :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cressida_pimpin
01-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

that thing looks like its from a cereal box.

ehos
01-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Bingo. Proven Honda reliability and quality, along with Honda's flagship sportscar model would sell me. The Tiburon's POOR resale value, sketchy Hyundai past, and no real defining factors other than price really make me wonder about buying one.

The Prelude IS NOT the flagship sports car for Honda. That title belongs to the NSX. (Forgot about S2000?)

Kamen
01-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Well...it's not the flagship anymore to say the least...