PDA

View Full Version : Mazdaspeed 6 price set for the US.*update* Mazdaspeed6 delayed.

benyl
01-07-2005, 01:54 AM
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 5 -- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today announced pricing for the company's high-performance MAZDASPEED6 sedan. When the car goes on sale in summer 2005, it will be priced from $27,995 (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). Equipped with a 270-horsepower turbocharged direct-injection gasoline engine, MAZDASPEED6 is the most powerful and best-handling sedan ever sold by Mazda.

MAZDASPEED6 demonstrates the trademark balance of all MAZDASPEED vehicles -- the highest performance vehicles to wear the Mazda badge. To accommodate the power of the turbocharged engine, Mazda developed a new Active Torque-Split All-Wheel Drive system. When electronic sensors detect a lack of grip, up to 50 percent of the power can be directed to the rear wheels. In addition, the MAZDASPEED6 comes equipped with a completely new six-speed manual transmission, perfectly fitting the car's character.

Optional on MAZDASPEED6 is a Grand Touring package, priced at $29,925, incorporating leather seating surfaces, eight-way power driver's seat, heated front seats and mirrors, and keyless entry and start. Because of MAZDASPEED6's high level of standard equipment, stand-alone factory options are limited to pearl paint ($200), power tilt-and-slide moonroof ($700) and DVD-based navigation system ($2,000).

In addition to news on MAZDASPEED6 pricing, Mazda also showed for the first time the all-new MAZDA3 SP23 Special Edition and the rotary-powered RX-8 "SHINKA" Special Edition.

The MAZDA3 SP23 Special Edition stands apart from the compact segment with the addition of a leather interior, premium sound system, high-gloss finish 17-inch alloy wheels, rain-sensing front windshield wipers and automatic on/off headlights. Offered only in Carbon Gray Mica and available on both the 4-Door sedan and 5-Door, the MAZDA3 SP23 Special Edition exhibits the perfect balance of performance-oriented luxury.

The RX-8 "SHINKA" Special Edition takes its name from the Japanese word meaning "evolution" or "transformation" and mixes RX-8's sports car flavor with a touch of luxury. Available with either a six-speed manual or four-speed Sport A/T automatic transmission, the RX-8 "SHINKA" Special Edition features an upgraded and uniquely tuned suspension with uprated shock absorbers and urethane-filled cross-member supports, increasing performance and ride comfort. In addition to "SHINKA's" unique Parchment-colored leather interior, Mazda added leather to the handbrake lever, upgraded trim on the doors and center console, and revised the finish on the 18-inch alloy wheels and the head- and tail-light bezels. To ensure "SHINKA" stays special, only 2,150 cars will be produced.

Also on display at the 2005 Greater Los Angeles Auto Show are the finalists in the Mazda "Zoom-Zoom To Win" photography contest. Held in conjunction with Conde Nast magazines, Mazda invited the general public to submit photographs in digital and film format that best describe what Zoom-Zoom means to them. From the more than 3,000 pictures submitted, 50 finalists have been chosen, and the ultimate winner will be announced at the New York International Auto Show in March.

Mazda North American Operations is responsible for the sales and marketing, customer parts and service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States. Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., MNAO has more than 700 dealerships nationwide.

Source: Auto channel

Seanith
02-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Sweet.. I'm really interested in the mazdaspeed 6. :)

CRXguy
02-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Damn!!! :bigpimp:

So who wants to buy a WRX? :D

bennyhanna
02-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Priced right around the
Legacy GT

$40K cdn

Not bad for an S4 replica

1badPT
02-12-2005, 06:11 PM
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0502_mazda_mazdaspeed_6/

I don't think the AWD system is comparable to Subaru's or Audi's though, according to this review.

The turbo 2.3 may become my favourite 4 cylinder engine though :D

Stratus_Power
02-12-2005, 09:49 PM
i was reading last Week's edmonton Journal and they said the mazdaspeed 6 will be priced at $36,950 CAD??

Xtrema
02-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Meh, not cheap enough. For that price, I'll buy a TL with NA V6.

90Tegra
02-12-2005, 11:28 PM
im trying to stay away from newer model mazdas cuz i beleive ford makes the engines now:thumbsdow

nhlfan
02-13-2005, 01:44 AM
now whos is going to buy an rx-8?

oddjob
02-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Still 4 door :(

2002civic
02-13-2005, 12:26 PM
^^so is a sti, some cars can pull it off, its not a camry or something

Seanith
02-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
^^so is a sti, some cars can pull it off, its not a camry or something

So is an Evo, so is an M3, so is..

heavyD
02-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Knowing how much Ford & Mazda is swapping parts and the fact that Mazda's reliability has slipped below Ford's. I would purchase a Legacy GT for that kind of money if you want a turbocharged AWD car.

AG_Styles
02-16-2005, 03:13 PM
i think the car is nice. i'd buy it. it's all a matter of personal preferences. if u don't like ford, then u probably don't want this car cuz i'm pretty sure the engine is developed by ford. but if u don't mind that fact, then it's a car to look at if ur planning to purchase one.
it's a powerful car and a big one too. styling is better than the other fords i've seen. and carries a mazdaspeed badge so why not.

habsfan
02-16-2005, 04:15 PM
i like the mazdaspeed 6, but as most others, im not too sure about the whole ford thing. id have to drive both the legacy gt and the mazdaspeed 6. i'd prolly end up with the 6, looks pimp

Stratus_Power
02-16-2005, 04:33 PM
got a chance to see the mazdaspeed6 in person at the Edmonton autoshow.. it definitly looks goooooodddddd

Hollywood
02-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Will be hard to mod with direct injection. Have fun with that.

Mazda quality = going downhill. Which I especially do not trust with all these new fancy parts and principals.

Ferio_vti
02-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Damn!!! :bigpimp:

So who wants to buy a WRX? :D
I wouldn't. Its not even the same category as a WRX. For a bigger sedan, I'd probably look at a Legacy or an S4.

Originally posted by Hollywood

Mazda quality = going downhill. Which I especially do not trust with all these new fancy parts and principals.
I'd say its a mixed bag, what with the whole chassis and parts sharing by Ford, Mazda, and Volvo. If anything Ford's cars are getting some really good upgrade in quality from the sharing. On the otherhand, its not like Mazda and Volvo are getting a shortend of the stick either...

Altezza
02-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Canadian Pricing:
$35.9k
$38.8k for leather and sunroof

Saw the car at CIAS...didn't really look impressive from a visual standpoint. But pricepoint is pretty decent.

benyl
02-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Price point is decent, but it is nowhere the calibre of an EVO or STi

clemulus
08-20-2005, 09:35 AM
It's not supposed to compete with the EVO or STi, as quoted below "It is no where near the fierceness of Lancer Evo and Impreza STi, which is the intention" as "On the road, you will find Mazda 6 MPS to be a compromise between sport and comfort"

I think I would consider a mazdaspeed. This will not be a Ford engine.

Article
From http://www.autozine.org/html/Mazda/Mazda6.html

Mazda 6 MPS (Mazdaspeed 6)
Since the death of Mitsubishi Galant VR4, Japanese sports saloon market seemed calm down. Now Mazda 6 MPS (or called Mazdaspeed 6 in the United States) is going to revive this market.
We all know Mazda 6 is an exciting car to drive. Naturally, it is a good platform for a hotter sports sedan. But a family car will never be a sports sedan without extensive modifications. This start from the engine compartment…

The original car's MZR 2.3-litre 16V engine is added with an IHI turbocharger and an intercooler to boost output from 165 to 260 horsepower. However, it is by no means a high-pressure turbo engine. Mazda wants a well manner power delivery, with especially strong output at low to mid-range. Therefore they chose a small turbocharger and runs a high, 9.5:1, compression. The latter is made possible by using direct fuel injection (a first for Mazda) which helps cooling combustion chambers. As a result, the engine produces a respectable 280 lbft of torque at 3000rpm. All torque is sent to an Aisin-built 6-speed manual gearbox.

To handle the extra power without generating torque steer and wheelspin, Mazda adopted a new "Active Torque Split" all-wheel-drive system. Put it simple, I would call it Haldex-type 4WD instead. Remember, sister car Volvo S40 AWD also employs the same system. It uses an electronic-controlled multi-plate clutch to deliver up to 50% torque to the rear wheels when the front lose traction. The rear axle gets a limited-slip differential.

The chassis also received a lot of attention. Chassis rigidity is raised by an astonishing 50%, thanks to an additional tower bar over the rear suspensions, an additional cross brace hiding behind the dashboard, strengthened suspensions mountings and A-pillar anchor points. Suspensions remains the same strut and multi-link setup, but the tweaked setup enhance body control. Front and rear springs are stiffened by 25% and 37% respectively, together with thicker anti-roll bars. All four corners now employ 18-inch alloy wheels wrapping with 215/45 tires.

On the road, you will find Mazda 6 MPS to be a compromise between sport and comfort. It is no where near the fierceness of Lancer Evo and Impreza STi, which is the intention. Its softer suspensions damp well, more like a BMW 330i with sport suspensions instead of a full-blooded sports sedan.

Performance is a similar story, it does not feel very powerful, but a top speed of 150mph and 0-60mph in 6.3 seconds is decent enough for a car this size yet priced at just £25,000. A similarly quick BMW would cost you in excess of £30,000.

The balance-shafted four-cylinder engine is refined and well mannered. It does not have the rough noise as usual direct injection engines. It pulls strongly from low rev, without turbo lag. The power is delivered linearly across the rev, but tails off quickly after 6000rpm. The Aisin gearbox is enjoyable, whose shift is slick, short and precise.

Thankfully, the original car's acclaimed steering feel remains unchanged in the MPS. These days not many so-called driver's cars can deliver the same level of steering feel as this one. Unfortunately, it suffers from more understeer than desired. In normal driving, the Haldex clutch sends no torque to the rear axle. That means the MPS is a front-drive car most of the time, with 4WD only comes at extreme attack (that is also a problem common to Audi TT). With the increased power, no wonder it displays more understeer than the regular Mazda 6. On the plus side, the Haldex 4WD system does provide plenty of traction in hard cornering. It just failed to entertain its driver with Evo-style 4-wheel drift or BMW-style power slide.

Externally, the MPS looks restrained by Japanese standard. There is no big spoiler or muscular wheelarches. To accommodate the engine-top-mounted intercooler, the bonnet has added a power dome. But Mazda refused to open an intercooler scoop on it, saying it doesn't want to make it look racy. The result is an odd look.

The threats to Mazda 6 MPS is not other sports sedans, but more likely to be fast Audi A4s and fast BMW 3-series. Thanks to their strong brand image, most people would prefer to pay more and tradeoff performance for premium quality and image. All round it may be, Mazda 6 MPS fails to make impression like RX-8.

Specifications

Model - Mazda 6 MPS
Layout - Front-engined, 4wd
L / W / H / WB (mm) - 4765 / 1780 / 1430 / 2675
Engine - Inline-4, dohc, 4v/cyl, turbo, bal shaft.
Capacity - 2261 cc
Power - 260 hp
Torque - 280 lbft
Transmission - 6M
Suspension - (F/R) double-wishbone / multi-link
Tyres (F/R) All: 215/55 R16
Weight - 1585 kg
Top speed - 150 mph (c)
0-60 mph - 6.3 sec (c)
0-100 mph - N/A

Source: http://www.autozine.org/html/Mazda/Mazda6.html

pinoyhero
08-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Interesting but i think you can find a better ride for 40K out there

heavyD
08-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Interesting but i think you can find a better ride for 40K out there

For sure. I would never pay that much for a Mazda. Protege 5's cant go more than three years without rusting which is despicable in this day & age.

benyl
09-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Mazda product developer takes blame for delayed U.S. launch of MazdaSpeed6

MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News

MONTEREY, Calif. - It's my fault.

How often do you hear those words in the auto industry?

But at Mazda North American Operations, Robert Davis is falling on his sword.

Davis, Mazda's senior vice president of product development and quality, is taking the blame for delaying the U.S. launch of the MazdaSpeed6.

The high-performance sedan was to have arrived at car dealerships in June with a base sticker of $28,555, including destination. But 30 days before Job 1, Davis wouldn't sign off on the North American edition of the car. As a result, the MazdaSpeed6 will not arrive until late September.

Davis' problem: He felt the transmission's final drive was not right for the U.S. market. The final drive is the last set of gears before power is delivered to the wheels. The drive determines the speed ratio between the drive shafts and wheels.

Initially, the U.S. versions had a lower final-drive ratio for lower engine revs while freeway cruising. The ratio brings slower acceleration but slightly better gasoline mileage. The Japanese and European editions had a higher final-drive ratio for quicker bursts of speed.

After evaluating both versions, the Japanese and European engineers decided to go with the U.S. edition's gearing as well. Suppliers were contacted, production dates were set.

But Davis then saw the original Japanese-market prototype and was smitten. He felt that the original, higher Japanese final-drive ratio, when mated to the 2.3-liter turbocharged engine's 274 hp and 280 pounds-feet of torque, was better suited for MazdaSpeed6 customers.

"The way the torque comes on, it's actually better with a higher final-drive ratio," he said.

Davis took his case to Jim O'Sullivan, CEO of Mazda North American Operations, who gave Davis his vote of confidence.

The main cause for the 90-day delay was the EPA's recertification process.

Mazda expects U.S. sales of about 6,000 units a year, the most of any market.

As a result of the delay, Japan and Europe will get the initial U.S. production allocation. The United States will get a larger chunk of production down the line

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/galleries/mazdaspeed6/images/1.jpg