PDA

View Full Version : Dealers invoice cost

Aleks
01-07-2005, 10:23 AM
I was just browsing through my company's webpage and I found out that I can go to a couple of dealers and get a new car for
4 % over invoice cost price. Is this a good deal? In other words how much higher is the sticker price over this invoice cost price? If anyone knows let me know? I know at least one guy works new car sales here.

lint
01-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I was just browsing through my company's webpage and I found out that I can go to a couple of dealers and get a new car for
4 % over invoice cost price. Is this a good deal? In other words how much higher is the sticker price over this invoice cost price? If anyone knows let me know? I know at least one guy works new car sales here.

Sounds like the Ford X-Plan. That's a decent deal, because there's a fixed cost for PDI, and it's no haggle. I used that for my Mazda 3, and although the total came to a bit more than the MSRP on the Mazda.ca site, you have to keep in mind the website doesn't include a bunch of fees and charges, (like PDI and destination) which really bump the total price up.

I think my invoice was about $1400 less than the msrp, so it's a savings without much effort.

Aleks
01-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks!
That's what i was looking at, Mazda 3, maybe for my GF. I was guessing about 10-15% mark up on an average car over dealer cost.

Xtrema
01-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Great for the 3 since they are hot and dealer won't bargain much.

But sucky deal for anything else over $30K (4% on that is at least $1200), especially for slow moving vehicles.

redblack
01-08-2005, 11:18 PM
hey guys , where would i find the dealers invoice price is there a website?
any help would be appriciated

lint
01-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by redblack
hey guys , where would i find the dealers invoice price is there a website?
any help would be appriciated

You won't, they're not going to freely give that out. Some websites like carcost will get them for you for a price.

C4S
01-09-2005, 01:11 AM
You can go

www.carscostless.com

or just go http://autos.msn.com .. it is base on US money .. but the mark up % is basically the same ..

for example :
2005 Acura RL

MSRP Price $48,900
Invoice Price $43,536

There is about $5400 mark up .. (~12%)

7-Series

MSRP Price Range $69,300 - $117,200
Invoice Price Range $63,225 - $106,810

There is about $10,400 mark up on the top model (~9%)

2005 Mazda Mazda3

MSRP Price Range $13,680 - $17,105
Invoice Price Range $12,801 - $15,994

There is about $1200 mark up on their top model ( ~ 7% )

:)

Hopefully, this can give you some idea, however most domestic car brands ( FORD owns Mazda ) they may have some cash back or rebate.

Redlyne_mr2
01-09-2005, 12:10 PM
hehe too bad alot of those 7 series are selling brand new for under dealer invoice

96Mx6
01-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Ford gives back a rebate to the dealer at the end of the month for every unit sold.

So They show you a invoice they bought the car for 25 K, and they sell it to you for 26K. 1K profit to pay the salesman, blah blah blah. Then at the end the month a cheque comes for 3-6 grand from ford.

Bastards!!

legendboy
01-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Dealer invoice from the manufacturer is different then dealer "line" or dealer "cost". Markup's like this:

Dealer "INVOICE" = cost for the dealer from the manufacturer.

+ Markup = Dealer "COST" or "LINE"

+ Markup = Retail.

When a dealer is talking about his "cost" he is talking about the line at which they will no longer move on price. All dealers for the same make have the same line/cost. Thats why after negoating the price down, dealers may only beat a price by 20 or 50 bux.

Salesmen also get paid from the gross profit from selling price to "cost".

You should be able to price shop right down to dealer cost/line. Which is the best price anybody else could get for the same vehicle.

I have seen the actual invoices from the truck drivers while dropping new cars off when i was selling new. Its WELL below cost/line, but it doesn't matter. You could walk into a dealer with an invoice and they still won't go below their line.

Make sense? :)

redblack
01-11-2005, 08:20 PM
yeah that makes sense
has anyone bought from toyota lately
i heard they dont budge on the msrp at all
is this true

rockym20
01-12-2005, 12:50 AM
In Alberta, since Access Toyota got shot down by the competition bureau, the dealers just decided to sell at MSRP. If you are buying an expensive Toyota (like over $30K), it might be cheaper to buy it in Ontario and have it shipped here.