PDA

View Full Version : Why does snow make people forget how to drive?

abyss
01-07-2005, 02:46 PM
BEGIN RANT

I am driving straight and I come up to an intersection, as I start to go through the intersection (my light is green BTW) lo and behold, some retard turns left right in front of me....AND THEN STOPS! Now my lane of traffic is blocked and after narrowly avoiding a collision I am stopped in the middle of an intersection. Light turns yellow, retard finally goes, I start to go, and then AGAIN second retard decides to turn left on a red light! I slam on the brakes AGAIN, cursing stupid Calgary drivers.....but to top it all off, the second retard in his nice new 4WD truck (which by the way gives you self appointed, automatic right of way in ANY situation) Gives ME the finger! WTF!!! :banghead: :banghead: :whipped:

(the moral of this rant is to please not let the snow totally wipe away everything you learned in drivers education)

Thank You

END RANT

QuasarCav
01-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Dont stress, It will kill you eventually.

I just learned to accept the fact that 90% of drivers are idiots and there is nothing I can do to change that.

How bout the sun causing people to slow from 100 to 20 on the calfrobe? You see the sun every day yet you have to slow down because It's making it a little harder to see.

abyss
01-07-2005, 03:01 PM
The snow did not cause any visibility issues in this situation. But If I was really stressed out about it I would've followed the guy and given him a piece of my mind. However as it stands I am more angry than stressed that two people tried to cause an accident today.

George_Reyes
01-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Fingered you, what an ass. :whipped:

hinggu
01-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Everytime it snows, it seems as if the majority of drivers have to relearn how to drive on it! We get snow all the time people!!!

shakalaka
01-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Man, I hate retards like that. Happened to me couple of times, and I felt like shooting the BIATCH!!
If I ever make a mistake or something and I know, I just raise my hand and mouth sorry or my bad!

redline
01-07-2005, 06:37 PM
It cause they dont know how to drive in the first place, the snow just makes every notice....

boy1_
01-07-2005, 06:50 PM
If you want to see some ridiculous driving you should come to Vancouver. Its snowed for the past two days (like 3-4inches) and theres accidents everywhere, and there were buses crashing everywhere there was still snow on the road.

gorillam
01-07-2005, 06:55 PM
That sounds more like an average driving day.

There wasnt an accident what's the problem?

With this much traffic on the roads these days what do you expect?

GoChris
01-07-2005, 08:11 PM
no offense but most calgary drivers suck. i could have pulled a bunch of people out of their vehicles today and kicked them I was so mad. but oh well....gotta learn to deal with it...theres a new batch of morons everyday i see on the roads.

Akagi Redsuns
01-07-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't know, but it seems that people use the snow and bad weather to make really bad judgement calls.

I had people make left turns in front of me when it was not even close to safe to do so, or right turns onto the road I am on almost making me rear end them. I near see this pathetic judgement when it's summer time, but yet with this weather I encountered it 3 times today.

theken
01-07-2005, 08:58 PM
try being a delivery person, and see all the idiots ALL day, like thousands upon thousands of retards

cloud7
01-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by boy1_
If you want to see some ridiculous driving you should come to Vancouver. Its snowed for the past two days (like 3-4inches) and theres accidents everywhere, and there were buses crashing everywhere there was still snow on the road.

ya and they closed down school and everything in Van... at least in Calgary a lot more people know how to CONTROL their vehicles in the snow... but I agree that there are a lot of moron drivers in Calgary at this time of the year especially those with big 4x4 vehicles who thinks they own the road and do thing they are not supposed to.

finboy
01-07-2005, 11:24 PM
the problem with calgary drivers is that the road test sets the standards for the "average" driver, which is unfortunate becasue the average driver isn't a good driver, or the "good" driver will ignore anything they learned once the tester gets out of the car.

change the lisence test for real driving situations, make it harder, and make everyone retake the new test, and watch a lot of the jackasses not make it onto the road.

TurboMedic
01-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I was about to shoot someone today, I couldn't believe how bad everyone was driving! I agree, it snows every year in calgary, why doesn't everyone just get used to it!!

kenny
01-07-2005, 11:49 PM
I witness something stupid everyday its pretty routine. Today a minivan was going about 80 in a 70 zone and the light in the far far distance turns yellow. The van does not slow down at all and just keeps going on its merry way to the indoor soccer arena (haha j/k). The driver finally decides when they are about 10m away to start applying the brakes to slow down and of course as the light has been red for at least 10-15 seconds the van slides through the intersection while everyone else (who had green lights) stays put so the jackass can slide through.

Why are people so stupid... slow the fuck down when its icy.

Zero102
01-08-2005, 12:51 AM
I had a car full of old ladies coming at me on 44th st S.E. The old hag driving it decides to pull a U-turn about 40 feet in front of me, in the middle of the block, I laid on the brakes, managed to miss her by a couple feet as she turned into the park lane on my side, then she pulls out in front of me. I had a nice trip up the wrong side of the road, just so I don't hit her. I get back into my lane, look in my rear view mirror to see 4 old ladies giving me the finger.....
Next time I'm just going to plow into the bitches.

DayGlow
01-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by theken
try being a delivery person, and see all the idiots ALL day, like thousands upon thousands of retards

All the idiots come out of the woodwork when I have someone in the back of the car and can't pull people over :banghead:

CRXguy
01-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by theken

welcome to my world! :nut: :guns:

max_boost
01-08-2005, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy

welcome to my world! :nut: :guns: I just make sure I'm in the front of the line, setting the pace. :D

5hift
01-08-2005, 02:13 AM
I know what you mean. I had to drive from the NE to the SW in the middle of rush hour when he had bad flurries a few days ago.
Everyone was driving 20 kms a hour and it took me almost two hours to get from Coral Springs to Springbank.:banghead:

Thats the one time i hate driving a manual car is when im stuck in traffic that is slowly inching forward.

max_boost
01-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Well today there was a three car pile up West bound Glenmore Trail right before the Blackfoot turn off (11:30am). I can't remember which vehicle but one of them was flipped over. It almost screwed me up on my lunch delivery. Luckily I jumped the curbed and turned off on Deerfoot South and looped back.

86max
01-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by finboy

change the lisence test for real driving situations, make it harder, and make everyone retake the new test, and watch a lot of the jackasses not make it onto the road.

Exactly, fix the problem at it's source. Teach skid control and recovery, extreme condition driving, braking techniques, how to accelerate on ice without spinning for half an hour, how to get up hills, etc...........but most importantly common sense. Now everyones idea of common sense is different, but there needs to be some standard level lol.

If you're uncomfortable with the road conditions, don't drive. My family and I don't want some insecure white-knuckled driver rear-ending us, holding us up in the fast lane, or flying through an intersection out of control.

Calgary drivers seem to be ridiculously stupid, and it also seems that as soon as one enters a minivan, all awareness of the world around them disappears, and all they're concerned about is what reality show they're going to watch when they get home. I've been trying really hard to control my road rage lately, for it never really does anything. The other person doesn't know that they're stupid, and getting angry at them is only going to provoke a hostile situation.

Hell, I bet everyone thinks this way. Everyone makes mistakes on the road, just some more than others. I think it's mostly rooted from a lack of respect for fellow drivers. Everybody has something bad to say about drivers here, whether it's people that drive too slow, or guys that tailgate them to push them to go faster. The overall manners and patience of the general population seems to decrease every year. I guess that's what happens when you live in a big city. What can you do?

In conclusion, I strongly feel that driving courses/tests should be a lot stricter, like it is in Europe. Maybe people would be proud to have a license, and treat it as a priviledge rather than just a given.

It's 3am and my sight is blurry, I think I'll end my rant here. Flame on.

/////AMG
01-08-2005, 04:01 AM
Oh how I am glad I don't drive in Calgary anymore. So many idiots on the road I feel liek crashing into them.

sexualbanana
01-08-2005, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
How bout the sun causing people to slow from 100 to 20 on the calfrobe? You see the sun every day yet you have to slow down because It's making it a little harder to see.

That's not necessarily a bad move. Would you rather that they go 80 while being blinded by the sun? I've had that on a few occasions where, you're going the wrong direction at the wrong time. The sun is at a level where it's essentially right in your eyes. A visor can't really do much because it would block you're entire field of vision, and sunglasses work to make the light less painful, but they can only do so much. Just because you're wearing sunglasses does not mean you can look directly at the sun. I would think someone is more stupid if they were going 100 with the sun in their eyes.

Originally posted by boy1_

I saw footage of the roads this morning on the news. Holy crap was that terrible. Unbelievable. A lot of accidents. It's not just the snow that's making it terrible though. They've been getting freezing rain with it too. Snow, most people can deal with. But when there's that underlying layer of ice, it makes for a lot of trouble.

pixil9
01-08-2005, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by 86max

Exactly, fix the problem at it's source. Teach skid control and recovery, extreme condition driving, braking techniques, how to accelerate on ice without spinning for half an hour, how to get up hills, etc...........but most importantly common sense. Now everyones idea of common sense is different, but there needs to be some standard level lol.

If you're uncomfortable with the road conditions, don't drive. My family and I don't want some insecure white-knuckled driver rear-ending us, holding us up in the fast lane, or flying through an intersection out of control.

Calgary drivers seem to be ridiculously stupid, and it also seems that as soon as one enters a minivan, all awareness of the world around them disappears, and all they're concerned about is what reality show they're going to watch when they get home. I've been trying really hard to control my road rage lately, for it never really does anything. The other person doesn't know that they're stupid, and getting angry at them is only going to provoke a hostile situation.

Hell, I bet everyone thinks this way. Everyone makes mistakes on the road, just some more than others. I think it's mostly rooted from a lack of respect for fellow drivers. Everybody has something bad to say about drivers here, whether it's people that drive too slow, or guys that tailgate them to push them to go faster. The overall manners and patience of the general population seems to decrease every year. I guess that's what happens when you live in a big city. What can you do?

In conclusion, I strongly feel that driving courses/tests should be a lot stricter, like it is in Europe. Maybe people would be proud to have a license, and treat it as a priviledge rather than just a given.

It's 3am and my sight is blurry, I think I'll end my rant here. Flame on.

that's not even a rant.. in the last 10 years of my forum life on the internet I agree with something said on a forum. The only thing I have to say is.. FUCK OFF STUPID DRIVERS WHO DON'T KNOW THAT IF YOU'RE DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT OR LESS GET IN THE FUCKING RIGHT LANE OR IF SOMEONE IS TAILGATING YOU IN THE LEFT LANE GET THE FUCK OVER AND MOVE BACK ONCE THEY PASS.. and once again it's not their fault they're stupid.. they're just stupid. so what the hell can you do.....

god i love posting when i'm piss drunk

GoChris
01-08-2005, 10:17 AM
teaching them better driving might help
but its COMMON SENSE THEY LACK!
lol

SilverBoost
01-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Man I totally sympathize with your thread man. (see mine I just posted to see what I mean)

Also "Common Sense" is kind of an OXYMORON, there's nothing common about common sense. (not really the true definition of the word but it gives you the idea.

I am totally for retesting or making sure that drivers are better educated to begin with. You should be required to take courses on controlled driving in slippery conditions, or avoiding hazards. And your test shoudl be two part. One in summer and one in winter. I know when I got my license over 15 years ago I just wanted that piece of paper and didn't care how unprepared I was. Getting it was a cake-walk. I can't even believe how people manage to fail a drivers exam. Perhaps it's a lot tougher now than it was then though, who knows? The point is, there are obviously too many people on teh road who don't know the rules or have since forgot them.

Whne I see someone sitting parked on an onramp to a major highway waiting to cut in I just gotta ask WTF!! (I'm talking about summer here too... I understand if it's a blinding blizzard you have to take any necessary precaution.)

Anyhow, I'm just annoyed this morning... forgive my long rants. I just can't keep it bottled up for fear of blowing a head gasket.

Z_Fan
01-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, yesterday I witnessed (and captured on video tape!) some idiot driving the wrong direction Deerfoot. He had JUST come to the realization of his error and was slowing down!

Duh, why am I in the shoulder, and all the traffic is coming right at me?

Stupid dolt.

Later, up near the McKenzie Towne "circle" I witnessed some dumbfuck driving again on the wrong side of the road. Two trucks passed him without incident (lucky for this moron) - and then he proceeded to turn in to the traffic circle the wrong direction. Complete and total fucktard.

Now, if you can't see where you are going because your vision is poor - go get some god damn glasses or stay off the road.

Stupid people...they piss everyone off.

H4LFY2nR
01-08-2005, 12:41 PM
There should definetely be a winter road test!!! There's too many fucktards who drive too fast and then slam on the brakes, and as soon as they start sliding they freeze up with some retarded expression on their face. People need to learn to be comfortable sliding and learn how to control it. Recently I've had too many close calls of people almost rearending me. I got rearended last March and I don't feel like going through all that again.

finboy
01-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
Man I totally sympathize with your thread man. (see mine I just posted to see what I mean)

Also "Common Sense" is kind of an OXYMORON, there's nothing common about common sense. (not really the true definition of the word but it gives you the idea.

I am totally for retesting or making sure that drivers are better educated to begin with. You should be required to take courses on controlled driving in slippery conditions, or avoiding hazards. And your test shoudl be two part. One in summer and one in winter. I know when I got my license over 15 years ago I just wanted that piece of paper and didn't care how unprepared I was. Getting it was a cake-walk. I can't even believe how people manage to fail a drivers exam. Perhaps it's a lot tougher now than it was then though, who knows? The point is, there are obviously too many people on teh road who don't know the rules or have since forgot them.

Whne I see someone sitting parked on an onramp to a major highway waiting to cut in I just gotta ask WTF!! (I'm talking about summer here too... I understand if it's a blinding blizzard you have to take any necessary precaution.)

Anyhow, I'm just annoyed this morning... forgive my long rants. I just can't keep it bottled up for fear of blowing a head gasket.

another issue with lisencing is the privatly owned registries :thumbsdow

my one buddy "bought" his lisence and he has been in a couple fender benders and wrote off one car already, and there are many others i've heard of who just pay off the tester.

3G
01-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I had a car full of old ladies coming at me on 44th st S.E. The old hag driving it decides to pull a U-turn about 40 feet in front of me, in the middle of the block, I laid on the brakes, managed to miss her by a couple feet as she turned into the park lane on my side, then she pulls out in front of me. I had a nice trip up the wrong side of the road, just so I don't hit her. I get back into my lane, look in my rear view mirror to see 4 old ladies giving me the finger.....
Next time I'm just going to plow into the bitches.

Keep a bat in ur trunk, follow them till they stop somewhere, smash their windows then book it

Originally posted by Khali
Thats the one time i hate driving a manual car is when im stuck in traffic that is slowly inching forward.

:werd:

Aleks
01-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Make aquiring driver's licence tougher and more expensive. In other parts of the world it is much much more expensive to get the license so not every idiot can get one.

DayGlow
01-08-2005, 03:25 PM
The McKenzie Towne traffic circle really shows if people know how to drive or not. How many times have I seen people racing around the outside of the circle instead of taking the next exit like they are supposed to? Lucky it isn't too busy most times.

Speed_69
01-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 3G

Keep a bat in ur trunk, follow them till they stop somewhere, smash their windows then book it
:werd:

I have a steering wheel lock that's shaped like a baseball bat haha it's awesome!
it's a steering wheel lock and self defense weapon-in-one :D

Rayme
01-22-2005, 01:31 PM
when someone does stupid shit like that and block my way I usually hold the horn as long as he's not out of the way ahaha

A790
02-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Man, I hate retards like that. Happened to me couple of times, and I felt like shooting the BIATCH!!
If I ever make a mistake or something and I know, I just raise my hand and mouth sorry or my bad!

What really gets me is that everyone I talk to says the same thing.

That must mean that most drivers think, and act, the same when it snows.

Weird.

hollywood_35
02-10-2005, 12:00 AM
But people that drive like that get what they diserve. Half the vehicles you see in the ditch during the winter are those kind of people. Don't know how to slow down, don't know how to take turns, and look out for other people. When I get my car, I might come to Calgary once and awhile, but when I do I'm gonna carry dirty harry's choice of weapon :guns:

Timithos
02-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Let me guess: driving school in Calgary is 90% class room and 10% road time? Same in Maryland.

It needs to be 90% road time & 10% class room time.. that's how I was taught in Michigan.