PDA

View Full Version : building your own PC

Skyline_Addict
01-07-2005, 09:56 PM
hey guys,
it's time for me to get a new PC, and I've been told that buying individual parts and putting them together by yourself is much cheaper (and much more satisfying, I reckon). I'm looking to build/get something pretty decent, in the 2000 MHZ range. how much do you think it would cost to build a computer like that (with your average to good range of other parts inside)?

thanks

Weapon_R
01-07-2005, 09:57 PM
It is neither cheaper nor more satisfying than buying a complete system. The profit margin on computers sucks.

pixil9
01-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Definitely build your own or select your parts at a place like memoryexpress and have them build it. Dells, HPs, emachines etc. are all hunks of shit with noname brand motherboards, noname ram. You also gotta love those poorly designed cases.. can't even throw ina new motherboard in a couple years because they make some weird ass fucking shape so you just have to buy another POS computer from them. They always like to brag about the mhz and shit and neglect to mention the POS geforce 440 MX or something along those lines..

wildrice
01-07-2005, 10:10 PM
if you custom build it, you know the exact parts that you're getting, and exactly what u want or need

gpomp
01-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
hey guys,
it's time for me to get a new PC, and I've been told that buying individual parts and putting them together by yourself is much cheaper (and much more satisfying, I reckon). I'm looking to build/get something pretty decent, in the 2000 MHZ range. how much do you think it would cost to build a computer like that (with your average to good range of other parts inside)?

thanks you should think of a price and then build a computer around it instead of the other way around.

Ben
01-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
you should think of a price and then build a computer around it instead of the other way around.

I agree, handfuls of very recent threads on this.

Skyline_Addict
01-07-2005, 11:57 PM
hmmm alright.
i'm looking to spend around 700-1000 dollars on a computer system (without monitor, keyboard, etc). i'm planning on getting a new monitor as well. weapon_r has pointed out that building your own computer is no better than buying it in a package from a company...
if i were to buy from a company, are most models pretty competitive with eachother, or do some stand out more than others (performance, value-wise).

camby
01-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Well I think it is better to build your own computer because you can choose the brands of parts for your computer. Contrary to popular belief some brands are better than others. If you buy say from FS or DELL or what have you, sure you get a computer, but the parts they use are generic. I think the only benefit for buying a completed computer is either the service/warranty you recieve and the software they possibly give you. If you don't mind the hassle of RMAing stuff when it breaks down and have some knowledge of computers, then its no biggie to build your own.

Most computers are good enough for the average user. If you only surf, email, type then anything will do. Video apps or gaming and price will determine which one stands out more to you.

Skyline_Addict
01-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by camby
Well I think it is better to build your own computer because you can choose the brands of parts for your computer. Contrary to popular belief some brands are better than others. If you buy say from FS or DELL or what have you, sure you get a computer, but the parts they use are generic. I think the only benefit for buying a completed computer is either the service/warranty you recieve and the software they possibly give you. If you don't mind the hassle of RMAing stuff when it breaks down and have some knowledge of computers, then its no biggie to build your own.

Most computers are good enough for the average user. If you only surf, email, type then anything will do. Video apps or gaming and price will determine which one stands out more to you.

thanks,
would you suggest any specific brands/models that are out right now? also, even this computer I'm using right now is getting to slow to do almost anything. my laptop (pretty good for today's standards) is broken, but is besides the point, as I still need a PC in addition. only 196 ram, 500 mhz isn't enough to keep up with today's computer demands, even if it just internet/email. i'm looking for something that is up to date today's standards that will be able to do most things (like support new games, hehe) without too much hassle. it doesn't have to be too special, but atleast be a good base to start on even without upgrades, but should upgrades be needed, it would be not much hassle.

sabad66
01-08-2005, 12:24 AM
I would start off with a socket 939 mobo with pci-express and get an amd 64 3400+ as a base. Add a gig of ram, a decent vid card and a nice 17" lcd monitor and you would be able to handle everything in the near future. And the socket 939 motherboards will be good for future upgrades too.

Skyline_Addict
01-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
I would start off with a socket 939 mobo with pci-express and get an amd 64 3400+ as a base. Add a gig of ram, a decent vid card and a nice 17" lcd monitor and you would be able to handle everything in the near future. And the socket 939 motherboards will be good for future upgrades too.

i'm not computer wizard or anything, but I happened to hear a debate amoungst my friends regarding pentium vs. amd. if I recall correctly, the pentiums are faster, while the amd are more stable...

blinkme_210
01-08-2005, 12:30 AM
In recent months, the price margin between building your own computer and buying one from the PC store down the shop is so small.

I'm not gonna go into too much detail here, but I will give some guidelines. Whatever you do, don't buy from Futureshop/BestBuy or any other big box retail store. It's not that the stores are bad, but the computers that they sell are horrid. Almost outdated crap motherboards paired with crappy ram and god knows what else.

My recommendation to you, go to Memory Express and build a system from their system configurator. That way you'll know you're at least getting quality parts.

camby
01-08-2005, 12:34 AM
There are some brands I like more than others based on experience. Its hard to suggest any brands in particular because I don't know what you want to do or will want to do later on with your computer. If you're looking for a system to run the stuff you need, P4's or AMD XP line is fine. I'd recommend an AMD64 chip. If you want to be on budget and want a better video card or better other things, I'd suggest the AMD Sempron line over the Celerons. I believe anything less than a 9600XT won't be good enough for the games that are out there today (HL2, D3, WoW... etc). Of course this also depends on other things. I'd stay away from the nVidia FX series cards. Pretty much anything other than nVidia 6 series can be outdone by an ATI solution. For upgrades, right now is probably the worst time to buy a new computer to consider upgrading in the future. PCI Express will be picking up more and more now. You're looking at Dual Core CPUs soon, DDR2 will be more mainstream, there's that SLI stuff, who knows what will happen in a year or so? If you wanted to upgrade again in 2 years, you'd be looking at a new computer.

blinkme_210
01-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Just configured a pretty good all around machine for you on Memory Express. AMD64 3000+ Skt 939, 512MB Ram, All In Wonder 9600, 120GB HDD 8MB Cache, 16X DVD burner, etc the works. This system should be more than sufficient to keep you going for the next few years.

This system was configured on Memory Express btw. Obviously some of the parts price can go up or down. But I configured it for you as if it was me who was buying it with the exact same needs as you want. But I highly recommend building a system around the AMD64 3000+ CPU, if you're gonna buy a new PC, this is where you want to spend the bulk of your money.
http://members.shaw.ca/blinkme_210/mx.jpg

Skyline_Addict
01-08-2005, 12:51 AM
^^

thanks alot man! that is definetely adequate for something I am looking for, to hopefully keep me happy for atleast a couple years without too many upgrades or hassle. as camby pointed out though, alot of new technologies are coming out... better to wait...or is this stuff good (for the future).

thanks again.

blinkme_210
01-08-2005, 01:00 AM
The benchmark results between PCI-E and AGP 8X are almost nil. Besides there are only a few PCI-E AMD motherboards out there, PCI-E is more dominant on the Intel platform.

Have you ever considered buying a notebook laptop? The prices have come down enough that they are only a few hundred dollars more expensive than their desktop counterparts. Also the specs are pretty much in line with the desktop counterparts as well. Since I'm assuming that you're not too much into gaming or whatever, a notebook would be the perfect solution, and I recommend this system (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=1&sku_id=0665000FS10051097&catid=11520&newdeptid=1) as being one of the better buys out there right now.

In theory, the system that I posted up for you is a good for the next few years, because it's a "64 bit processor". AMD's been really aggressive with their marketing for consumers to be prepared for the move to 64 bit platforming. The next versions of Windows (codename: Longhorn), will be 64bit, and will only run on 64bit CPU's. Even though it won't be released till the end of this year, there won't be enough differences or new features that make it a worthwhile to upgrade to a 64bit CPU if you already aren't. But it's good to know that you will be able to run the new 64bit Windows. Infact, you can download a test version of the 64bit Windows from Microsoft provided you are running a 64bit chip.

Skyline_Addict
01-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
The benchmark results between PCI-E and AGP 8X are almost nil. Besides there are only a few PCI-E AMD motherboards out there, PCI-E is more dominant on the Intel platform.

Have you ever considered buying a notebook laptop? The prices have come down enough that they are only a few hundred dollars more expensive than their desktop counterparts. Also the specs are pretty much in line with the desktop counterparts as well. Since I'm assuming that you're not too much into gaming or whatever, a notebook would be the perfect solution, and I recommend this system (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=1&sku_id=0665000FS10051097&catid=11520&newdeptid=1) as being one of the better buys out there right now.

In theory, the system that I posted up for you is a good for the next few years, because it's a "64 bit processor". AMD's been really aggressive with their marketing for consumers to be prepared for the move to 64 bit platforming. The next versions of Windows (codename: Longhorn), will be 64bit, and will only run on 64bit CPU's. Even though it won't be released till the end of this year, there won't be enough differences or new features that make it a worthwhile to upgrade to a 64bit CPU if you already aren't. But it's good to know that you will be able to run the new 64bit Windows. Infact, you can download a test version of the 64bit Windows from Microsoft provided you are running a 64bit chip.

i am not too much into games such that i would go for an alienware computer, or the like...but I want something that can support something I may or may not decide to use. i definetely wouldn't mind playing some of the newer PC games out now (Wow, etc.):), but of course, have no chance of doing so on this computer. gaming would probably be the only thing that would require some heavy duty components, as I will only use it otherwise for average use (internet, email, etc).
regarding the notebook, I already have one...not as good overall...but just as good in quite a few comparments. so, i'm alright when it comes to notebooks now...my priority is to get a pc.
thanks for your help though, greatly appreciated!:D
any suggestiosn for LCD screens?

gpomp
01-08-2005, 01:19 AM
go samsung or go home. :D

ex1z7
01-08-2005, 08:22 AM
LCD I stand by Samsung.. But DELL makes a great LCD and they aren't expensive. for CRT if you're still going to go that route, go NEC/Mitsubishi, the DiamonView range, absolutely fantastic ;)

If you're not into games, you don't need a deadly vid card, so something like an FX5600 should be more then fine, they aren't too expensive and they'll last a while :P

AMD XP and 64 series I stand by as well, and Asus motherboards. Lite-On drives and Seagate harddrives. AOpen cases etc.. You don't need more then 80gb hdd man, if you're not doing games 80g is MORE then enough,hell, you could get away with 40 :P

512 ram is a must, though :P Get some PC3200 or higher and you'll be fine :D.

George_Reyes
01-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Dell uses genuine products, they are not a cheap brand.

iceburns288
01-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
Just configured a pretty good all around machine for you on Memory Express. AMD64 3000+ Skt 939, 512MB Ram, All In Wonder 9600, 120GB HDD 8MB Cache, 16X DVD burner, etc the works. This system should be more than sufficient to keep you going for the next few years.

This is a very good computer especially at that price. I would go for something like this.:thumbsup: The only thing I would change is 512mb more for RAM and maybe a larger hard drive. But that just suits my style of computing, you'll probably do very well with those specs.