PDA

View Full Version : 96 dodge stealth junk? or not bad?

Hollywood
01-08-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm just curious if anyone has any bad reliability issues with there stealth or heard of stories from there friends cars.

Now keep in mind if your stealth has like +150,000k you would expect many things to be needing replacement so to me those dont really count much. I'm more interested in headgaskets, engine failure, drivetrain failure, rattles in interior etc, not like brakes and suspension.

Also do they need to be babied when driven? Or can the drive train take a Hollywood beating! I was told by Fuji I cant own a subaru or Ill break the tranny so curious to see if the stealth/3000gt can handle it.

EK 2.0
01-08-2005, 12:36 PM
the drivetrain should be able to take a Hollywood beating...I mean there are always extreme's, but the drivetrain is very solid...

check out these links Hollywood if you already haven't...

3SI.org (http://www.3si.org/)
Team 3S.com (http://www.team3s.com/)

I know you aren't wanting to mod your net car as much as the 240, but just keep in mind that the car you are looking at now will be, or be close to 10 years old...that is a fair bit of age for a factory Turbo car...make sure of maintnenace records and the like...but other than that...a stockish 3000GT/Stealth shouldn't offer more headaches than your average 7-10 year olf GT car...ie Supra, 300Z, RX7...

npham
01-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Lifter tick is super annoying. I hate that god damn ticking sound. It's brutal.

Look for leaking transfer case. It was recalled.

Make sure the y pipe is tied down well, or else it might blow off under a good boost and thats never fun.

Great cars. Expensive to upkeep. Get parts from Mitsu and not Dodge, try Platinum or Hyatt Mitsu and ask for the DSM discount.

Fuji
01-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
I'm just curious if anyone has any bad reliability issues with there stealth or heard of stories from there friends cars.

Now keep in mind if your stealth has like +150,000k you would expect many things to be needing replacement so to me those dont really count much. I'm more interested in headgaskets, engine failure, drivetrain failure, rattles in interior etc, not like brakes and suspension.

Also do they need to be babied when driven? Or can the drive train take a Hollywood beating! I was told by Fuji I cant own a subaru or Ill break the tranny so curious to see if the stealth/3000gt can handle it.

Haha it's true man! Unless you get an STi the tranny isn't all that strong. Why do you think i never hit SS?

Hollywood
01-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by npham
Great cars. Expensive to upkeep. Get parts from Mitsu and not Dodge, try Platinum or Hyatt Mitsu and ask for the DSM discount.

Thanks guys.

Whats the expensive upkeep?

EK 2.0
01-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by npham
Lifter tick is super annoying. I hate that god damn ticking sound. It's brutal.

Look for leaking transfer case. It was recalled.

Make sure the y pipe is tied down well, or else it might blow off under a good boost and thats never fun.

Lifter tick is an issue that can be rectified...it's a lil harder to do with the 6G72, seeing as how it's a tranverse V6, BUT...you can replace the stock lifters with solid ones to get ird of the noise...OR, run the newer generation of lifters that have larger oil ports in them...

As far as expensive to up-keep...I feel the cost is no more than that of a comparable JDM Supercar in the same league as the Stealth/3000GT...ie again MKIV Supra, 300Z, FD RX7...

I think Hollywood knows what kind of car he might be getting into...you have to rmember when these cars were new they retailed for quite a bit of cheddar...

Hollywood
01-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

Lifter tick is an issue that can be rectified...it's a lil harder to do with the 6G72, seeing as how it's a tranverse V6, BUT...you can replace the stock lifters with solid ones to get ird of the noise...OR, run the newer generation of lifters that have larger oil ports in them...

As far as expensive to up-keep...I feel the cost is no more than that of a comparable JDM Supercar in the same league as the Stealth/3000GT...ie again MKIV Supra, 300Z, FD RX7...

I think Hollywood knows what kind of car he might be getting into...you have to rmember when these cars were new they retailed for quite a bit of cheddar...

A friend of mine said they do not make any more of those getrag tranny parts for those cars??:dunno:

npham
01-09-2005, 02:53 AM
they retailed for like 60K, third gen lifters are the way to go.

by upkeep I mean 100km service is about $1000. But you are right, any rx7 or supra is expensive to maintain

DSM Power
01-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Paging Clive ...

One thing to consider is that the '96 Stealth is super rare because they hardly many any. So chances are the newest one you could buy around here is a '95, unless you go to the States and look for a 3000GT (which was made until '99). :drool:

w3apon
01-09-2005, 10:30 AM
If its a 96 Twin Turbo you should snap it up there were only 57 built ever, and are very wanted by the S/S community.
If it's non turbo, don't bother.

The only real major issues to check that are specific to the Stealth TT is the Transmission/Transfer Case.
Make Sure that when you shift into all gears that it doesn't grind at all. Usually if the car has been bagged on you will get syncro grinding from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to third.
If is a major pain ($$$) to have to get replacement syncro's and get them installed.

Stock clutches also go out fast with these cars, so make sure the clutch doesnt slip when you put it in 3rd gear and floor it at 1000rpm.
Getting a stronger clutch helps, but again puts more strain on the rest of the driveline.

As faor the ypipe blowing off, that may only start happening when you mod and start upping the boost alot, but there are easy enough ways to fix this.

As a former owner, these are great cars and I would definately grab a 96 TT just for the rarity.

Post up the details if you can, thanks.
If you have any specific question feel free to post or pm me, I am very familiar with these cars.

Another great link: http://www.stealth316.com/0-frames.htm

Hollywood
01-09-2005, 11:24 AM
The car I am looking at is a 99 3000gt vr-4. I only posted stealth casue thats what people have here. I have read about the transfer case recall, and the lifters.

What are the big maintenence shedules 30K? 60? 100k?

Im just curious to see how people here feel that there stealth has not been that bad for upkeep, or they got burned hardcore by tranny prob etc..

Also do you guys think these cars are safe for a girl to drive? Like is the AWD confidence enough for here to feel dsafe with the power? She drives my probe gt and loves the turbo as a reference, but she was too scared to drive my SR 240.

Hollywood
01-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Oh ya and I wouln not seriously mod it, just wheels, exhaust, downpipe, boost controller, turbo timer, ypipe, have not read about the intake mods.

EK 2.0
01-09-2005, 12:46 PM
The car I am looking at is a 99 3000gt vr-4. I only posted stealth casue thats what people have here. I have read about the transfer case recall, and the lifters.

Im just curious to see how people here feel that there stealth has not been that bad for upkeep, or they got burned hardcore by tranny prob etc..

Also do you guys think these cars are safe for a girl to drive? Like is the AWD confidence enough for here to feel dsafe with the power? She drives my probe gt and loves the turbo as a reference, but she was too scared to drive my SR 240.

she would love driving the 3000GT, BUT there is a LOT more heft involved with the "DSM" vs. a S14 Hollywood...the confidence of AWD is great, but I also know you will not be driving it in snow so it kind of negates itself...Most of the Stealth/3000GT cars ended up in hands of older folks though as well...so track launches and D1 competitions I feel are more of a non-issue than those of regular oil changes and fluid replacements...agian you have to remember they sold orginally for around 60 grand, plus still hold a lot of value so the average track whore will not have thier grubby hands on them...

Oh ya and I wouln not seriously mod it, just wheels, exhaust, downpipe, boost controller, turbo timer, ypipe, have not read about the intake mods.

and being a Turbo car, basic mods are ealiy done and to come by...but yeah your list there, should not yeild anymore issues that that of a WRX with the same goals in mind...

I say go for it, and good luck with your hunt Adrian...

but what happened to the balla GS??

Madspinner
01-09-2005, 01:42 PM
My friend has a 93 TT stealth ,His car is in tip top shape, I think if I remember he has under 150,000km . He told me there was problems with the 6 speed over the 5 speed.

CLiVE
01-09-2005, 02:17 PM

Good cars, but higher maintenance then some. Parts can be expensive, but now with mitsu dealerships up here it is not as bad.

My wife hated driving my stealth. Almost rearended the car in front of her when she mashed the go pedal..lol.
The seating position was very awkward for her, since she is 5'0, and the clutch on these cars is VERY stiff. Let her take one for a test drive, but honestly I don't think she will enjoy driving it all that much. IMO.

Like others have said, transfer case, clutch, lifters etc. are usual problems. The tranny/tcase is the weak point of the car. If I were to buy another it would be a 1999 3000GT ...only because it is the last year made. With any 10+ year old turbo car you are more likely to have problems.

I will buy another one some day...:)

Check out the Canadian Stealth/3000gt board.
www.canada3si.org

W3apon, where have you been hiding???

w3apon
01-09-2005, 05:23 PM
I never had any major problems with my 91 TT stealth. I had a bit of lifter tick but in the 99 it is not an issue as the lifters were revised.
My trany/xfer case was also great, no grinding at all for me. I did notice that my xfer case was "sweating" and the dealership replaced mine under the recall.
The big maintenance is at 100K km (60k Miles) where you have to do the timing belt, water pump, etc. If its over this make sure it was done.
99 VR-4 are very nice cars (love that front end!) Not a big fan of the HUGE rear spoiler though, but its aall personal tases.
Safe for a girl to dirve? Well only if she likes cars that have extreme go power. AWD cars go hard out of the hole and they have huge power compared to probe gt's. So if she wasnt comfortable with the probe, she wont be with this one.

CLiVE: I'm still here. Just picked up an SRT-4. Getting the stage 3 with it too :)

Hollywood
01-09-2005, 10:35 PM
but what happened to the balla GS??

Seen a 98 3000gt the other day beside me..... I was like :drool:

Then I told Legendboy and Coco, and they told me to get the vr4 instead of the GS. But I have the angel and the devil on my shoulders one says vr-4, the other says GS430, they seem to battle often.:dunno:

EK 2.0
01-10-2005, 01:47 AM

Seen a 98 3000gt the other day beside me..... I was like :drool:

Then I told Legendboy and Coco, and they told me to get the vr4 instead of the GS. But I have the angel and the devil on my shoulders one says vr-4, the other says GS430, they seem to battle often.:dunno:

Well, I don't know which side is which...but I say GS...if it matters in any way, shape or form...

heavyD
01-10-2005, 10:08 AM

Well, I don't know which side is which...but I say GS...if it matters in any way, shape or form...

I say 3000GT because if he ever wants to get rid of it I'll take it off his hands.:drool: You also get the exclusive factor of owning the last year 3000GT which is rare even in the U.S. The GS would be more reliable but if you do have any problems with a Lexus, bend over ................ $$$$$$ as they are some of the most expensive parts in the business.

If the car is a 99 it should have 2G lifters at the least as that's what my 98 Eclipse has and it never had lifter tick. My 92 Talon has no lifter tick anyway. Go figure.

Tranny parts are expensive (what tranny's aren't really) as it is a Getrag 6-speed but there are parts as the car was sold worldwide as the GTO in Japan and Europe.

Redlyne_mr2
01-10-2005, 11:26 AM
I would go GS as well, so worry free and they wont get hit with huge amounts of depreciation year after year.

heavyD
01-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I would go GS as well, so worry free and they wont get hit with huge amounts of depreciation year after year.

I disagree on the depreciation. Do you really think a 3000GT VR4 that was built in limited quantites with the revised styling as well as not being available in Canada is going to depreciate like a normal car. Hell 2G Eclipses sell in Canada for way more than they do in the U.S. because they weren't sold here.

It is a no brainer that the Lexus will be more worry free but it is more of a "safe" car from a company that is known for putting out extremely reliable cars that are more "vanilla" than exciting.

It all depends what you are looking for in a vehicle. Chances are that if you drive by a crowded calgary street in a GS430 not many people will do a double take. Same street in a 1999 3000GT VR4, people will be asking "what kind of car is that?". If I spend alot of money on a vehicle I want it to stick out and get noticed.

Just my opinion though. I'm not in a position to get either vehicle.:cry:

EK 2.0
01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
It all depends what you are looking for in a vehicle. Chances are that if you drive by a crowded calgary street in a GS430 not many people will do a double take. Same street in a 1999 3000GT VR4, people will be asking "what kind of car is that?". If I spend alot of money on a vehicle I want it to stick out and get noticed.

Just my opinion though. I'm not in a position to get either vehicle.:cry:

my apologies heavyD, but I feel a GS430 with a clean set of 18-19 inch wheels and a few very well chosen body pieces sticks out just as much as 3000GT would...from speaking to Hollywood about both car choices his mod list for either car is very subtle and clean...and IMHO a GS will look just as hot rolling thru the streets of cow-town as a modded Mitsu...and believe you me, I am very Mitsu biased...and I still vote for the Lexie...

HillBilly
01-10-2005, 12:57 PM
They are an awesome car... Like others have said, the 99 front end is beautiful. I attatched a couple of pics of my car for you to see what we are talking about.... its a 1995 with a 99 front bumper and lights.

oh, and by the way. Its for sale. PM me if your interested. I'll send you a list of mods.

benyl
01-10-2005, 01:01 PM
:werd:

Normally, I would say go AWD. But in this case, I would take the GS430 over the 3000GT.

The GS430 with 20s (18s and 19s are way to small Hollywood), would turn every head on the road. The GS430 is not vanilla. My STi is more vanilla than a GS430.

heavyD
01-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl
:werd:

Normally, I would say go AWD. But in this case, I would take the GS430 over the 3000GT.

The GS430 with 20s (18s and 19s are way to small Hollywood), would turn every head on the road. The GS430 is not vanilla. My STi is more vanilla than a GS430.

You guys are missing the point. An automobile enthusiast will notice a GS430 for sure but the regular Joe on the street probably won't but he will notice a 3000GT. That's all I'm saying.

Cyclone, you are talking about bodykits and wheels. I'm talking about stock for stock. The 3000GT VR4 doens't need a body kit as it is beautiful as is. GS430 is handsome stock but not "look at me" gorgeous. I like Mitsu but I'm not biased to the point that I don't appreciate other vehicles. When I was driving Honda's in the early 90's I still used to think that the 3000GT was the nicest (okay tied with last gen RX7) looking of all the Japanese performance GT models (300ZX TT, Supra TT, etc.). In my opinion the Honda S2000 is the nicest looking new car available today (not counting exotics) as it is clean, not "bubble" shaped, and has a beautiful nose not unlike the 3000GT. My opinion though.

BTW: Sti isn't vanilla. It's ugliness (a present model Imprezza trait) screams out "hey look at me" in the way an Pontiac Aztec does for all of the wrong reasons.

HillBilly
01-10-2005, 01:36 PM
BTW: Sti isn't vanilla. It's ugliness (a present model Imprezza trait) screams out "hey look at me" in the way an Pontiac Aztec does for all of the wrong reasons.

The Subaru / Mitsubishi war rages strong:D

heavyD
01-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Stealth R/T

The Subaru / Mitsubishi war rages strong:D

No war with me. I totally respect the capabilities of the WRX & STi, I just cant get over their ugliness. I don't think that the look will age any better either. Unfortunately the concept pics of the next STi are possibly uglier than this gen. :thumbsdow I would rather own the Legacy with the 250hp engine as that is quite handsome. Let's face it, looks are one of the most important aspects of buying a vehicle.

BumpinTalon
01-10-2005, 01:55 PM
and thats why 3000GT > Lexus GS. the 3000GT is one of the foremost cars in the golden age of Japanese performance cars. as far as looks go, it is right up there with the 300ZX and NSX. Sorry, but the RX-7 and Supra aren't all that great looking (stock). plus, they sound cool, and their drivetrains are proven to handle over 700 all-wheel horsepower.

Hollywood
01-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Wow! This thread really came alive!

To this minute I am teeter totting on both cars. Here is the full deal as some of the decision is somewhat mod based. I want to keep the mods minor. Both cars will get minor winter drive time.

Car prices

VR4 99' little cheaper, but higher km's.
wheels same costs for both vehicles
exhaust same
intake not sure? 200-400.00?
boost controller 300
turbo timer 100

GS4XX little more money, but less km's, 01' year
wheels same
exhaust same or more
intake 300-600.00
LSD 1400.00
Body kit 2000.00 plus paint and fitment

legendboy
01-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
Why do you think i never hit SS?

I thought that was to avoid any embarrassment :rofl: j/k

heavyD
01-10-2005, 02:43 PM

To this minute I am teeter totting on both cars. Here is the full deal as some of the decision is somewhat mod based. I want to keep the mods minor. Both cars will get minor winter drive time.

Car prices

exhaust same
boost controller 300
turbo timer 100

wheels same
exhaust same or more
intake 300-600.00
LSD 1400.00

Is that the installed price of the LSD? Probably not so add $400 at least to install a Quaife. Tough choice but either way you win. :burnout:

Hollywood
01-10-2005, 04:45 PM

Is that the installed price of the LSD? Probably not so add $400 at least to install a Quaife. Tough choice but either way you win. :burnout:

No its a supra lsd. I might be able to get it cheaper but that is worse case scenerio. The install is 1 hour. It's exaclty the same diff pumpkin, just with lsd and shorter gears which improves traction and increases acceleration but since the gearing is shorter you max out at 130MPH. I can't imagine having RDW without LSD.

It's the upgraded stall converter for 800 US. Which has the 4-5 hour install.

finboy
01-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
the RX-7 and supra aren't all that great looking (stock).

Joo krazy mang

ecstasy_civic
01-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by finboy

Joo krazy mang

no shit, the 3rd gen RX7's are still one of the sexiest cars on the road.

As for my opinion, Hollywood, go for the GS400, its a more mature, sexier car in its own way.

The 3000gt is a brute musclecar that looks like one, you just need to decide what you want.

Something that is going to be used for the track, or for cruising.

npham
01-10-2005, 08:05 PM
You should just buy mine....

heavyD
01-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Screw both of those cars. Even though it FWD, at least its brand new and 260hp ain't half bad. One of the nicest new designs in the last few years.

Fuji
01-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

I thought that was to avoid any embarrassment :rofl: j/k

You bastard! I will race you now!! (even though I know you have no turbo installed hehe .. if you do the challenge is off)

The only embarrassement would be a 5k launch and leaving my gears and bell housing on the track :(

Fuji
01-10-2005, 08:37 PM

Car prices

exhaust same
boost controller 300
turbo timer 100

wheels same
exhaust same or more
intake 300-600.00
LSD 1400.00

The GS is definitely nice with 20's, bu tit is a massive car. I rember when i rented a volvo s80, it was massive, in fact i looked liek a 16 year old borrowing dads car, didn't match me basically.

I think that you arebetter suited for the 3000GT, but if you are dead set on Bling go for the GS430, keep in mind you have lots of time to drive a car that a lot of elderly ppl drive :), jsut think of which one you will have more fun in

heavyD
01-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
The GS is definitely nice with 20's, bu tit is a massive car. I rember when i rented a volvo s80, it was massive, in fact i looked liek a 16 year old borrowing dads car, didn't match me basically.

I think that you arebetter suited for the 3000GT, but if you are dead set on Bling go for the GS430, keep in mind you have lots of time to drive a car that a lot of elderly ppl drive :), jsut think of which one you will have more fun in

Well said! I was going to bring up the "old person car" thing but so many of the guys on this site were gushing over the GS430 that I though maybe it was just me who though it was a mid-40's type vehicle.

boostedDsm
01-10-2005, 09:55 PM
just be prepared to spen some cash when the time comes, because it will come:thumbsup:

Hollywood
01-10-2005, 10:00 PM

Well said! I was going to bring up the "old person car" thing but so many of the guys on this site were gushing over the GS430 that I though maybe it was just me who though it was a mid-40's type vehicle.

People can be honest it wont hurt my feelings. Ya it is an older persons car I do agree but it's such a silky car, feels very neutral, and I really like the heated seats, which I dont think the vr4 has....

Fuji
01-10-2005, 10:06 PM
well the old person car issue isn't as big as looking like an icy hot stunta in teh 430. Personally I love the car, but given the money, it doens't match me so I wouldn't get it. You may see things differently :)

Hollywood
01-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by boostedDsm
just be prepared to spen some cash when the time comes, because it will come:thumbsup:

Ya thats what worries me.

With the GS I have to spend more on mods but not worry much about reliability, but the VR-4 might bomb on me and I end up spending big money on the costly repairs. FYI The one I am looking at has the transfer seals done from the recall.....so....

I dont know anymore.:dunno:

Altezza
01-10-2005, 11:15 PM

I really like the heated seats, which I dont think the vr4 has....

boohoo! Buy the vr4 already! I think it suits you more.

EK 2.0
01-11-2005, 01:21 AM

Ya thats what worries me.

With the GS I have to spend more on mods but not worry much about reliability, but the VR-4 might bomb on me and I end up spending big money on the costly repairs. FYI The one I am looking at has the transfer seals done from the recall.....so....

I dont know anymore.:dunno:

screw 'em both...build a BAD-ASS 240 man...that's where...oh wait...:D

I still say GS Hollywood...the feel of a car can always be changed with suspension mods..."pumpkin"...I love how you called your brah dat...

heavyD
01-11-2005, 09:00 AM

People can be honest it wont hurt my feelings. Ya it is an older persons car I do agree but it's such a silky car, feels very neutral, and I really like the heated seats, which I dont think the vr4 has....

Buy a VW then. You can get a Passat with the VR6 and heated seats. The only parts more expensive than VW parts are Lexus parts.

I look at it this way I love sporty "racer" type cars that's why I own a couple. I would look like an idiot owning them in my mid-late 40's that's why I would save a car like the GS for when you are too old to drive sports cars. It's not like the 3000GT is going to fall apart on you. It's bone stock right? My 92 Talon purrs like a new car because it was never modded.

How about an S2000? Those cars are beautiful and have Honda reliability.

HillBilly
01-11-2005, 09:11 AM
It's not like the 3000GT is going to fall apart on you.

The 6G72TT engine in a VR-4 is a very beefy V6. You are going to really have to hurt it to blow it up. Both cars are nice... but i am little biased to the Mitsu. One thing you don't have to worry about is crank-walk, unlike other Mitsu's..

Hollywood
01-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Altezza

boohoo! Buy the vr4 already! I think it suits you more.

hmmmm..

quot;pumpkin"...I love how you called your brah dat...

I was'nt calling him pumpkin, a diff housing is commenly called a pumpkin as it resembles the shape.

Buy a VW then. You can get a Passat with the VR6 and heated seats. The only parts more expensive than VW parts are Lexus parts.

I look at it this way I love sporty "racer" type cars that's why I own a couple. I would look like an idiot owning them in my mid-late 40's that's why I would save a car like the GS for when you are too old to drive sports cars. It's not like the 3000GT is going to fall apart on you. It's bone stock right? My 92 Talon purrs like a new car because it was never modded.

How about an S2000? Those cars are beautiful and have Honda reliability.

vw's are shit. S2000 is too much of a summer only car and less practical being only a 2 seater.

Ok. I will trust the VR-4's reliability. But I am still undecided at this point.

One thing I am considering is resale. What will people pay here in canada for a 99 vr4 with around 100km's on (this is after owning it for a bunch of years)?

HillBilly
01-11-2005, 10:35 AM
One thing I am considering is resale. What will people pay here in canada for a 99 vr4 with around 100km's on (this is after owning it for a bunch of years)?

considering there are 287 99 VR-4's around the world, it would be a farly hot item. I would bet that 90% of current stealth/3000GT owners would want to trade up to a 99.

Hollywood
01-11-2005, 01:03 PM

considering there are 287 99 VR-4's around the world, it would be a farly hot item. I would bet that 90% of current stealth/3000GT owners would want to trade up to a 99.

Well for example, what would you pay for one with 100,000km and in mint condition being reasonable and not low balling?

Altezza
01-11-2005, 01:45 PM

The only parts more expensive than VW parts are Lexus parts.

I still don't get why you have this idea that Lexus parts are mega dollars and most expensive compared to others.

BumpinTalon
01-11-2005, 01:51 PM
for a 1999 3000GT VR-4 you could probably sell it for somewhere around $30,000. no jokes. in Canada, you will get a huge premium for it. for an example, an Eclipse that sells for $8,500cdn in the States, will sell in Canada for $15,000. I'd say go for it, because even though the Lexus doesn't depreciate that much a year, you will still lose a lot of value driving it off the lot - somthing you don't have to worry about with the 3000GT.

HillBilly
01-11-2005, 02:25 PM

Well for example, what would you pay for one with 100,000km and in mint condition being reasonable and not low balling?

seriously.... When I was single and had tonnes of expendable cash, I was going to get one brought up from Texas for around $47,000 CDN

I would still pay up to $40k for one (low km's)

Hollywood
01-11-2005, 07:08 PM

I still don't get why you have this idea that Lexus parts are mega dollars and most expensive compared to others.

They are. Toyota/Lexus are the most expensive parts out of the asian autos. Mechanics will verify.

TypeS
01-11-2005, 08:45 PM
There is a red 3000GT for sale I kept seeing parked out at the gas station in Chestermere, is this the car your interested in? if so HOLY FAWK IS THIS CAR GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Altezza
01-12-2005, 02:35 AM

They are. Toyota/Lexus are the most expensive parts out of the asian autos. Mechanics will verify.

OK, that I don't dispute. True as it may be, I wouldn't venture to say they are the most expensive overall of mainstream auto manufacturers. Upscale german vehicles are generally more expensive to repair than upscale Japanese vehicles. Even with "expensive" Japanese parts, you're still ahead of the game compared to the Germans. That is what I mean when I don't consider Lexus parts generally all that "expensive".

Edmunds also lists the SC430/GS430 as the cheapest to repair in their respective classes if that helps you any.

heavyD
01-12-2005, 09:00 AM

OK, that I don't dispute. True as it may be, I wouldn't venture to say they are the most expensive overall of mainstream auto manufacturers. Upscale german vehicles are generally more expensive to repair than upscale Japanese vehicles. Even with "expensive" Japanese parts, you're still ahead of the game compared to the Germans. That is what I mean when I don't consider Lexus parts generally all that "expensive".

Edmunds also lists the SC430/GS430 as the cheapest to repair in their respective classes if that helps you any.

The point is that Mitsubishi Canada is selling part cheaper than I have ever seen from any auto manufacturer. I'm willing to bet that a comparable Mitsubishi part would cost close to 40-60% less than a comparable Toyota/Lexus part.

Sunridge Mazda wanted $650 for an idle control valve on my wife's old Protege. The piece looked almost identical to the idle control valve I bought for my Eclipse for $230. I got a 2G O2 sensor housing for my 1G new for $120 CDN. DSM performance shops in the US sell them for $130 U.S. non ported.

Redlyne_mr2
01-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
and thats why 3000GT > Lexus GS. the 3000GT is one of the foremost cars in the golden age of Japanese performance cars. as far as looks go, it is right up there with the 300ZX and NSX. Sorry, but the RX-7 and Supra aren't all that great looking (stock). plus, they sound cool, and their drivetrains are proven to handle over 700 all-wheel horsepower.
I think im going to have to dissagree about the 3000gt being one of the foremost cars in the golden age of Japanese perfomance. Nobody in Japan ever bought the 3000gt, unfortunately its sort of the clumsy black sheep of the other japanese supercars. The 3000gt was never active in any JGTC or touring car competitions and theyre a reason for that.
The quality of the Lexus is 100x better than that of a 3000gt. A good friend of mine had a GS400 with over 300K on it, the thing still ran like brand new and the entire car was still tight. Lets see what a 3000gt with 300K on it looks like. With the GS430 you ll never have anything to worry about. Get in start the car and go, the 3000gt is great if you have a back up car but as a daily driver I just dont think it would do its job.

heavyD
01-12-2005, 11:14 PM

I think im going to have to dissagree about the 3000gt being one of the foremost cars in the golden age of Japanese perfomance. Nobody in Japan ever bought the 3000gt, unfortunately its sort of the clumsy black sheep of the other japanese supercars. The 3000gt was never active in any JGTC or touring car competitions and theyre a reason for that.
The quality of the Lexus is 100x better than that of a 3000gt. A good friend of mine had a GS400 with over 300K on it, the thing still ran like brand new and the entire car was still tight. Lets see what a 3000gt with 300K on it looks like. With the GS430 you ll never have anything to worry about. Get in start the car and go, the 3000gt is great if you have a back up car but as a daily driver I just dont think it would do its job.

You're funny.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hollywood
01-12-2005, 11:24 PM

Screw you!

I'm buying it!

:D

The lexus will just be my next car that's all.

Redlyne_mr2
01-12-2005, 11:32 PM

Screw you!

I'm buying it!

:D

The lexus will just be my next car that's all.

lol its your call man, I hope you enjoy the cars. Its not that I hate them or anything but please keep us posted on how ownership of the cars goes. BTW have you ever seen those in hardtop convertibles? Theyre pretty wild

HillBilly
01-13-2005, 07:59 AM
the 3000gt is great if you have a back up car but as a daily driver I just dont think it would do its job.

wrong. I have never paid a tow bill and I have never paid for shop time... in 5 years. Daily driver..yes

HillBilly
01-13-2005, 08:00 AM
BTW have you ever seen those in hardtop convertibles? Theyre pretty wild

yes they are

HillBilly
01-13-2005, 08:01 AM
and down

heavyD
01-13-2005, 09:14 AM

wrong. I have never paid a tow bill and I have never paid for shop time... in 5 years. Daily driver..yes

I agree. I laughed my ass off at that post. As for the Lexus being 100x more reliable is also funny. JD power & assocates gave the 1998 Eclipse the same "mechanical reliability" ranking as the 2001 Lexus GS sedan (the Lexus should have the edge because Eclipse owners have had 3 more years to complain). So I guess that means that the 4G63 is 100x more reliable than any other engines out there.:rolleyes:

Redlyne_mr2
01-13-2005, 09:28 AM

I agree. I laughed my ass off at that post. As for the Lexus being 100x more reliable is also funny. JD power & assocates gave the 1998 Eclipse the same "mechanical reliability" ranking as the 2001 Lexus GS sedan (the Lexus should have the edge because Eclipse owners have had 3 more years to complain). So I guess that means that the 4G63 is 100x more reliable than any other engines out there.:rolleyes:
Youre the guy who rated the 3sgte based on assumption arent you. I do appreciate Stealth RT's opinion however. Everone I have ever known with a 3000gt or a stealth has always had nothing but problems so thats where my opinion comes from.

HillBilly
01-13-2005, 09:33 AM
I do appreciate Stealth RT's opinion however. Everone I have ever known with a 3000gt or a stealth has always had nothing but problems so thats where my opinion comes from.

true... there are some problems associated with the first gen tranny's. Also, people who do not do the scheduled maintenance on these cars are playing with fire. Timing belt and water pump need to be swaped out on a specific schedule. Not a big deal unless you wait until your engine is overheating... then your fucked.

heavyD
01-13-2005, 10:06 AM

Youre the guy who rated the 3sgte based on assumption arent you. I do appreciate Stealth RT's opinion however. Everone I have ever known with a 3000gt or a stealth has always had nothing but problems so thats where my opinion comes from.

I didn't rate the 3sgte based on assumption. I just said that the 4G63 was a stronger engine as they can hold much more boost. The 3sgte engine is fine if left stock or mildly tuned but once the boost is turned up they have head gasket sealing problems. You denying that is the equivalent of me saying that 95 - 97 4G63's never had crankwalk problems. The only thing I assumed was that it was aluminum block as I didn't realize the block was based on Toyota's old early 80's NA 4-cylinder iron block.

BTW: If the 3SGTE engine was so good why do all serious MR2 guys swap it for the Camry/Lexus V6?

EK 2.0
01-13-2005, 10:30 AM

I didn't rate the 3sgte based on assumption. I just said that the 4G63 was a stronger engine as they can hold much more boost. The 3sgte engine is fine if left stock or mildly tuned but once the boost is turned up they have head gasket sealing problems. You denying that is the equivalent of me saying that 95 - 97 4G63's never had crankwalk problems. The only thing I assumed was that it was aluminum block as I didn't realize the block was based on Toyota's old early 80's NA 4-cylinder iron block.

BTW: If the 3SGTE engine was so good why do all serious MR2 guys swap it for the Camry/Lexus V6?

uhmmm, not all...I can count the number of people who have done that swap on two hands IIRC...

heavyD
01-13-2005, 10:43 AM

uhmmm, not all...I can count the number of people who have done that swap on two hands IIRC...

More than that. Anyway this is getting off topic, is pointless, and I don't want to upset the Toyota boys.

It was stated many times in this thread that the Lexus would be more reliable then Toyota guy comes out and says that the Lexus will be 100x more reliable and that a 3000GT wouldn't be able to be used as a daily driver. Give me a break. It's idiotic posts like this that cause flame wars.

Hollywood
01-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Hehehe. No worries guys. It's a nice car, my cars get special attention and I do not daily drive my cars due to I have a company vehicle, so it's not like I will be racking the KM's on the car.

The thing with these cars especially the 99, once you see it in person you apreciate the uniqueness and design of the way the car looks. I find the pictures do not do it justice. I do not know many cars that dont need a body kit to improve the looks, that you get that body kit look from the factory. Even the sports cars of today, g35 coupe, 350z, rx8 etc, look better with body kits on hands down.

I will probly end up selling it to buy the Lexus later anyways due to I'm waiting for the 06 GS's to come out.

Redlyne_mr2
01-13-2005, 10:43 PM

It's idiotic posts like this that cause flame wars.
Here's an idiotic post for you

You're funny.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

^^ what is this? If your going to post your opinion then at least make it interesting istead of trying to cause drama like some 16 year old girl

I dont know where youre getting your 3sgte headgasket info from. That was a common issue with the 7m but not the 3s. I know of dozens and dozens of mr2's running over 350whp with the stock Hg. My guess is that you base all your car knowledge by reading sport compact car. Last year Trueleo's mr2 blew a headgasket during the ultimate street car shootout. It was a fault that lied in the building of the engine and not the design and is a very very very rare occurance in a 3S.
Then you went to mention " If the 3SGTE engine was so good why do all serious MR2 guys swap it for the Camry/Lexus V6". As Cyclone mentioned there are only a few V6 mr2s out there, so why do they do it? To try something different. Brad , the owner of the supercharged v6 sw20 that won this years SCC street car competition also has a highly built 3sgte MR2. Guys put rocket engines in mr2's as well but that doesnt mean the 3sgte is a junk. Anyways sorry for jacking your post Hollywood but tell your little brother to grow up and show some respect to people who have a different opinion than him.
:thumbsdow

Hollywood
01-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Anyways sorry for jacking your post Hollywood but tell your little brother to grow up and show some respect to people who have a different opinion than him.

No worries about defending yourself or jacking the thread. In my boardhood I have done my fair share of both.

He's actually my older brother. He just likes to stirr it up sometimes.

I can't really see who would dislike this car? Its as fast/faster than a supra 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4............. 4.8 13.6
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo................... 5.1 13.6

Everything in this pic is stock....yes,....even the wing.
http://members.shaw.ca/vegasstar/PDR_0064.jpg

HillBilly
01-14-2005, 07:55 AM
what a beautiful car.....

GET IT NOW!!!!

AWD OWNZZ

:burnout: :burnout:
:burnout: :burnout:

heavyD
01-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Is that the actual car? When you get the Lexus will you sell it to me at the brotherly discount? Please:cry:

heavyD
01-14-2005, 09:07 AM

Here's an idiotic post for you

^^ what is this? If your going to post your opinion then at least make it interesting istead of trying to cause drama like some 16 year old girl

I dont know where youre getting your 3sgte headgasket info from. That was a common issue with the 7m but not the 3s. I know of dozens and dozens of mr2's running over 350whp with the stock Hg. My guess is that you base all your car knowledge by reading sport compact car. Last year Trueleo's mr2 blew a headgasket during the ultimate street car shootout. It was a fault that lied in the building of the engine and not the design and is a very very very rare occurance in a 3S.
Then you went to mention " If the 3SGTE engine was so good why do all serious MR2 guys swap it for the Camry/Lexus V6". As Cyclone mentioned there are only a few V6 mr2s out there, so why do they do it? To try something different. Brad , the owner of the supercharged v6 sw20 that won this years SCC street car competition also has a highly built 3sgte MR2. Guys put rocket engines in mr2's as well but that doesnt mean the 3sgte is a junk. Anyways sorry for jacking your post Hollywood but tell your little brother to grow up and show some respect to people who have a different opinion than him.

I never make one post saying the Lexus was "ugly" or "bad" or anything even though it wouldn't be my choice by a long shot. I said it is an "older person's car" because it is which isn't putting it down because that is the demographic Lexus sells their cars to. You were the one making the outrageous post about the Mitsu not being reliable to be a daily driver and Lexus being 100x more reliable. I never flamed Cyclone for saying he'd prefer the Lexus because he posted his opinion like an adult. I'm no saint that's for sure but please read your post a couple of times and tell me why I should respect your opinion when it came out so juvenile.

BTW: Like Adrian said I'm not his older brother. There's nothing little about me.

CLiVE
01-14-2005, 10:21 AM

the 3000gt is great if you have a back up car but as a daily driver I just dont think it would do its job.

I agree with this comment....IF you are talking about 1st gen 3S's. I owned a first gen, and had it towed several times. I will not own one as a daily driver again, or any 10+ year old turbo car for that matter....

PM me if you want more details on some of the problems I had with mine. T-case, clutch slave x 2, clutch, oil pan, electrical.

With that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a newer low kms 2nd gen...

I have also owned a Toyota for 8+ years....and it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. It has never left me stranded, never complained when "abused". Great car, but then again it is not a "high powered" turbo car, so that may have something to do with the difference....??

Hollywood
01-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Yup thats the actual car. Sales stats of the 99 vr-4 are 45 were sold to USA residences. Mitsu produced only 287 vr-4's in total in 99. Whic actually makes it more rare then alot of the super cars out there, ferrari's etc...

BumpinTalon
01-14-2005, 01:01 PM
the 3000GT is going to be one of the cars on the cover of all those classic car coffee table books in 30 years... just like Camaro Z28s and GTO Judges are today. it'll be like the 1974 Trans Am. The last bastion of that era so on so forth, still there after everyone else was gone... :D limited production and whatnot.

heavyD
01-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Yup thats the actual car. Sales stats of the 99 vr-4 are 45 were sold to USA residences. Mitsu produced only 287 vr-4's in total in 99. Whic actually makes it more rare then alot of the super cars out there, ferrari's etc...

Uh Oh. Dad's going to take a liking to that car. :drool: You drive it for the summer and in the fall I will take it off your hands for both of my DSM's. Works for me.:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
01-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Even though I did vote for the GS (and my choice still stand AFTER seeing the gem you will eventually get)...I do hope you take this ex-DSMer for a rip in it Hollywood...

Hollywood
01-14-2005, 08:14 PM
You drive it for the summer and in the fall I will take it off your hands for both of my DSM's. Works for me.:thumbsup:

Ya right!

Even though I did vote for the GS (and my choice still stand AFTER seeing the gem you will eventually get)...I do hope you take this ex-DSMer for a rip in it Hollywood...

no worries.

heavyD
01-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Ya right!

No seriously. I'll give you both cars (Eclipse comes with the pretty FPgreen & Greddy Big front mount intercooler) straight across for the 3000GT. You don't even have to give me extra cash since I'm a nice brother.:D